Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazman76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Tomtom? Reply with quote

Hi There,

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 300, It's OK but the maps are now out of date and Nuvi want a small fortune to update them so I'm thinking of updating my system instead.

I would like a system that offers an effective traffic avoidence system. Many SATNAV's seem to offer such a system but the reviews have been mixed. I'd love to hear about your experiences using such a system in the london area.

I want a system that offers hand free calling.

I's like a system that will let me avoid congestion charging zones.

I want a system that ideally offers free map updates or alternately very cheap ones.

From my own research I've been thinking of a TomTom720 but I'm totally open minded at this stage.

Also when it comes to buying a system deos it make sense to have as many maps as possible pre installed or does it make sense to but extra maps later? Which option is cheaper? Is there a good 2nd hand market for maps?

Baz
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the 720 is a very credible device and will do what you want, however it is in the process of being replaced by the 730 devices. Also the RDS-TMC which is the traffic receiver is plauged by poor reception in certain parts of the country, when you get good reception the data is often out of date/ wrong. It does get it right some of the time but I do not trust it 100% to re-route a trip.

You do get value for money purchasing the device with more maps, but this is only realistic if you are going to use the maps, the 920 has full Europe and North America, but if you don't plan to use it over in the states its not worth the extra cost, although with the 920/ 930 you do get the RDS traffic receiver and remote control.

There are plans to introduce HD Traffic to the UK at some future point, it is hoped this will improve the reception issues and improve the data received.

As for cost the TomTom Western Europe latest map would cost you £74:95 or you could just update the UK map to save money as that costs £39:95 - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom? Reply with quote

Bazman76 wrote:
Hi There,

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 300, It's OK but the maps are now out of date and Nuvi want a small fortune to update them so I'm thinking of updating my system instead.

I've been testing some software on a Nuvi 300 and (personal opinion...) I think mapping and performance of the 720 is streets ahead.

Quote:
I would like a system that offers an effective traffic avoidence system. Many SATNAV's seem to offer such a system but the reviews have been mixed. I'd love to hear about your experiences using such a system in the london area.

See Darren's reply above.
Personally, I think local knowledge is always going to be better in London!

Quote:
I want a system that offers hand free calling.

The 720 will do that and with the right phone it will also read your text messages out loud for you. Do check that your phone is on their Compatibility list though. If not, it MIGHT work, but no promises.

Quote:
I's like a system that will let me avoid congestion charging zones.

The 720 will do that very well... Certainly for the London zone it is up to date, with the enlarged zone. I don't have any experience of any others. The way it works is that if you ask the Go to navigate to a location that will take you through the zone it flashes up an alert and gives you the option to continue through it, or to re-calculate for a possible route around it.

Quote:
I want a system that ideally offers free map updates or alternately very cheap ones.

No sat nav company gives out free maps.
As far as I know, TomTom are the only company to have a system in place where you can share your own updates to the maps with other owners (the "MapShare" system).
This is a great idea, but at present it is fairly limited in what it can do (edit road names, block or unblock roads, add POIs; and on the v8 maps in the Gox30 models, also change speed limits and "no left/right turns").

TT also have a "Latest Map Guarantee" for 30 days when you buy a new model. Don't know if anyone else does anything like that.

Quote:
Also when it comes to buying a system deos it make sense to have as many maps as possible pre installed or does it make sense to but extra maps later? Which option is cheaper? Is there a good 2nd hand market for maps?

Personally I would go for a 720, which has Western Europe maps, and only buy a US or Eastern Europe map if you need it.
There are very good deals on the 720 at the moment as the 930 is being launched as we speak (which is exactly the same hardware, just slightly enhanced software).
If you use the Latest Map Guarantee, you should get v720 maps which will be exactly the same date as the map you can get for the 930.

So all in all, the only issue is really the Traffic situation. I think other manufacturers have had their problems with this feature too (but maybe not QUITE as bad as TomTom have had....).
Hopefully they will sort out the present problem (incorrect delay time reported for an incident) and the upcoming "HD Traffic" will be a big step forward.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: