Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGMatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ? Reply with quote

I have a feeling the answer is no as I can't find any mention. But it is always worth asking the experts.

Matt
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ? Reply with quote

MGMatt wrote:
I have a feeling the answer is no as I can't find any mention. But it is always worth asking the experts.

I'm NOT an expert but I would think that the only way to handle that is to create a poi category called 'speed bumps', add each location desired as an entry in that category and then select a warning sound, either prerecorded (voice or tone) or recorded by yourself and associate this warning to the poi category and set it to alarm within a specific distance from a speed bump poi while on route.

But, hey, what do I know? Confused
page3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not the only one. I'd really like this feature but not even maps mark them.
Crying or Very sad
MGMatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ? Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
MGMatt wrote:

I'm NOT an expert but I would think that the only way to handle that is to create a poi category called 'speed bumps', add each location desired as an entry in that category and then select a warning sound, either prerecorded (voice or tone) or recorded by yourself and associate this warning to the poi category and set it to alarm within a specific distance from a speed bump poi while on route.

But, hey, what do I know? Confused

If I did this for the roads with bumps that I know, can you then get TomTom to avoid a POI in the route planning.

Or would it be a case of marking the end of each road with bumps as a POI and then letting TomTom recalculate when you drive past.

I am a newcomer to Satnavs so all tips and advice is welcome.

Matt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be one very big database, I appreciate how useful it is if you have a low riding car though!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ? Reply with quote

MGMatt wrote:

Or would it be a case of marking the end of each road with bumps as a POI and then letting TomTom recalculate when you drive past.

I suppose you could go to manage maps and mark each known location of a speed bump as a blocked or closed road but I'm not sure of all the ramifications of such a move.
MGMatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ? Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
MGMatt wrote:

I suppose you could go to manage maps and mark each known location of a speed bump as a blocked or closed road but I'm not sure of all the ramifications of such a move.

This would be good for my car, but when using the wifes it wouldn't be necessary. That is why the avoid option that you can select when calculating the route sprang to mind.

Matt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you cannot set up the TomTom to avoid a certain category of POIs (It would be a very welcome addition!), but you CAN set it up to visually and audibly warn you of one as you approach it, so you could avoid it and let the TomTom recalculate the route.
Not perfect, I'll admit.

I too have never heard of any such database existing already, I'm afraid.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedbumps - Can TomTom warn and avoid ? Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

I think you need to do that in Map Corrections, not Manage Maps.

And if anyone uses this method, please make sure you don't choose to share these map corrections!
Samsung Galaxy S21
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, Anita. My brain meant that but my damn fingers overruled .... Smile
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling only too well! Rolling Eyes
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: