Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Were do I start ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Were do I start ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikonkid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Were do I start ?? Reply with quote

This is my first post,Hi guys Very Happy were do I start .....I have just bought a Tom Tom One XL as Im visiting Scotland and England in July.

I would like to download info speed cameras etc,as I dont want to loose the old licence.

Can anyone point me in the right direction,this site is massive,I dont know were to start.

Thanks.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

OK, so you have a ONE XL and wish to use the speed camera database download to, so this is what you need to do...

...go to the speed camera downloads page

The ONE XL uses the TomTom OV2 download

You're travelling in the UK, so choose the UK download.

My personal preference is UK - Speed Zoned Complete.

You'll need to unzip the download file - unless your PC does this automatically.

To save repeating information, installation instructions may be found here

Additionally, you may customise your TomTom with voices, camera icons, car symbols etc by visiting the customise your GPS page.

Hope this helps by giving you some specific places to look.

If you need further assistance, don't be afraid to ask
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But before you do any of that, the current advice from the experts on this site is before you change ANYTHING on the TT, make a full copy of the device using WINDOWS EXPLORER, (not Home).
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakers!! How could I omit something so fundamental?? Embarassed Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll also need to be a subscriber before you can access the database:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php
nikonkid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,and thanks for the infoyou gave me. Im now a subscriber,good value at £19,and I have down loaded UK speed zone complete.

I tested the TomTom today on the way to work and found it beeped,or in my case a bugle call Smile at certain points where their was no Speed camera visible. Not sure why that happened as I could not see anything that looked like a camera ie tall yellow posts with cameras on top.

Have i downloaded and can I remove moble phone points. Im assuming they are mobile phone masts.

Also the TTs idea of 300 metres is a bit different from mine. Can I make that 500,and if so do i have to do it for each saved POI.

Its a bit complicated at times this.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
at certain points where their was no Speed camera visible. Not sure why that happened as I could not see anything that looked like a camera ie tall yellow posts with cameras on top.

Have i downloaded and can I remove moble phone points. Im assuming they are mobile phone masts.

The Mobile files contain locations for Mobile cameras, not phone masts! These cameras are not always there and so you will get alerts and see no camera near the road most of the time. If you remove the Mobile file you will stop getting alerts for Mobiles but these are probably more likely to then catch you out!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome nikonkid.

I use my Tomtom Go 520 mostly for work, and as such i dont speed in the work vehicle. I have the mobile cam locations installed but have no warning set up for them as it does get a bit heavy with all the mobile warnings going off. I have my gps set up to warn for all fixed GATSO`s, Redlight cameras and SPECS cameras.

Everything you need to get started here on PGPSW has been mentioned or linked too already in this thread. Also, there is a FAQ page with the most frequently asked questions that new or inexperienced users ask.

Anything else you have issues with, just post back in the forum and someone will usually have an answer/suggestion that day!

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the settings are done in Change Preferences/Manage POIs/Warn when near POI.

If you are using the full speed zoned set it DOES take a while to do the first time, but hopefully you shouldn't need to do it again - the settings remain when you overwrite the database files with new versions on a couple of weeks. (although there is a small bug that affects SOME people where the settings occasionally get forgotten. So long as you have a backup, there is one file you can replace to get them all back though).).

Distance:
Most people alter the distance for EACH speed, so the TIME warning is similar however fast you're going. 100 yards/metres for each 10 MPH of the speed limit is good for fixed cameras (so 300yds for 30 MPH 700 yds for 70MPH) and DOUBLE that for mobiles (those guns "see" you from a LONG way away!)

Sound:
As you have got the speed-zoned version of the data, you should really have a look at one of the VOICE warning sets from THIS PAGE. With those you will be told what sort of camera (or mobile site) to expect in plain English. Smile
nikonkid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads for everything. I know I should visit the FAQ and will do so.
nikonkid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly are redlight and SPECS cameras.

Thanks guys.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the main download page:
Quote:
Camera types in the database

There are currently six main categories in the PGPSW camera database; some of the main categories are also subdivided into speed related sites. The main categories are:

* Gatso: Fixed camera locations. I.e. mainly Gatso, Truvelo, Monitron speed cameras and RedSpeed (Redlight and Speed cameras in one)
* Mobile: Locations where Safety Partnership camera vans and police regularly check your speed.
* pMobile: Locations of Mobile sites (see above) that have been submitted to us but not yet verified.
* Redlight: Traffic light cameras
* Temp: Temporary camera installations, e.g. Road works.
* SPECS: Also called Section cameras. This uses digital cameras that photograph your vehicle and number plate as you pass each camera. The system then automatically calculates your average speed over the section (distance divided by time).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: