Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ludicrously fast spoken TTS speed camera warning (520)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ludicrously fast spoken TTS speed camera warning (520)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HankMcSpank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Ludicrously fast spoken TTS speed camera warning (520) Reply with quote

I've had my tomTom 520 about 6 weeks now....when I first started using it, when a speed camera approached I used to get a bong.

However, either by updating the software or enabling something that I didn't understand, now whenever I'm approcahing a speed camera, the Tomtom 520 text to speech blurts out something along the lines of "TomTom speedcamera warning" (or something similar).

It's spoken so fast that's it's absurd ....and frankly, it gets on my Stop! . How do I get my speed camera warnings back to just an audible bong?

thanks.

Edit - red card courtesy of DennisN
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to TomTom Services, Speed Cameras, Change Warning Pref

You can select Bong, Preset spoken warning or your own custom spoken warning

If you use a spoken warning an find its too fast or garbeled just punctuate it, that slows it down

For example I use - Warning. Speed Camera, Mobile etc etc and it speaks at the right speed once the punctuation is in.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And be sure to add a big sticker on the dash saying 'Warning: TomTom's Safety Camera database has more holes in it than Swiss Cheese!' Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
Go to TomTom Services

Actually, "TomTom PLUS services" Smile

...and Darren is trying to tell you there are much better alternatives! Try clicking one of the camera symbols on the left or right of this screen.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much much much better, see the light before the flash sees you Laughing Out Loud
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
Much much much better, see the light before the flash sees you Laughing Out Loud

I like that, great strap-line Very Happy
HankMcSpank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.....but having just bought the thing, don't I get speed camera updates for the first year?

Or is my database well out of date already (bought six weeks ago)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you get one month not one year? Although whether it be one month or one year it is still rubbish and not worth using, more dangerous than no database at all in my opinion.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you get whatever version that's on it when you buy it, and you get ONE update via Home.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, the TT camera database is MUCH better than it used to be - at least you can now set it to warn at whatever time in advance of a camera you wish (I haven't tested max/min) and you can have SIX different warnings. My 25 (some people have 32) pgpsw spoken warnings are different for each type (like TomTom's) but also for each different speed.

The TT camera types ...

Fixed Cameras
Mobile Cameras
Redlight Cameras
Toll Road Cameras
Restricted Road Cameras
Miscellaneous Cameras
I honestly don't know what those last three are - does anybody? I mean, "Warning, Toll Road Camera ahead!" Maybe it's London Congestion Charge, or The Severn Bridge Toll? Didn't warn me when I went to Wales and London this week.

Oh and by the way, when I went to London this week, TT warned me of 17 cameras en route. SIX were there, the rest were not (old roadworks cameras, long since gone). The three 60mph cameras along the bus lane stretch told me they were two Fixed cameras and one Miscellaneous - the Misc one being the middle one at Heston services.

The PGPSW database on my other TomTom got all cameras correct, including the average speed roadworks ones at Slough AND warned me of a brand new one just before Hammersmith Flyover which I'll swear wasn't there two weeks ago.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ludicrously fast spoken TTS speed camera warning (520) Reply with quote

HankMcSpank wrote:
I've had my tomTom 520 about 6 weeks now....when I first started using it, when a speed camera approached I used to get a bong.

However, either by updating the software or enabling something that I didn't understand, now whenever I'm approcahing a speed camera, the Tomtom 520 text to speech blurts out something along the lines of "TomTom speedcamera warning" (or something similar).

It's spoken so fast that's it's absurd ....and frankly, it gets on my Stop! . How do I get my speed camera warnings back to just an audible bong?

thanks.

Edit - red card courtesy of DennisN

I recently bought a 520 you can type your own warning into the device and as you say if there are too many words it does splutter them out .

After testing the Tomtom safety camera data base out I decided it was not very reliable I would have had no confidence that I would have been warned when I was approaching a camera ( You tend to know locally were the cameras are so you can see how unreliable it was).
To be honest the Pocketgps database is so much better its worth paying the £19 just to get the spoken warnings which are available from this site alone as well as the fact the speed camera data base is the best that is available
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the Text To Speech voice to read out warnings that you type in use some punctuation in the actual phrase used to slow it down. The other possibility is that the device is set to read out the POI file name which does produce strange sounds - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "Full spoken warning" and the "Brief spoken warning" options use the actual filename as the name of the POI, so as they wont tend to have spaces or punctuation, they can be rather odd!

If they are your own POIs you can either rename the POI files (and their icon files too) to something more straightforward, or you can use the "Type your own warning" option (complete with spaces and punctuation (and even phonetic spelling) to get it to sound better.

If you do that, it's well worth keeping a copy of the 'MapSettings.cfg' file when you have set them all up as you like them, because it's very boring to have to re-type them all, if and when the TT loses these settings - as it has a tendency to do sometimes!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: