Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare after 1st Year?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare after 1st Year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Mapshare after 1st Year? Reply with quote

What happens after the first year of using mapshare do you have to buy a new map or can you just pay for another years mapshare? and if you do have to buy a map does it have to be the map you brought with the unit or can you buy any map to extend mapshare? eg i have western europe can i buy the eastern/central euro map? seems harsh seeing as its us that are suppling the data for TT! surly mapshare should be free as we supply the said data!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, after the year is up (and presumably when TT bring out a new Map), the MapShare for your current Map is maintained at the level you had subscribed to. In other words nothing more is added, or taken away.

If you then upgrade to the latest Map, then the Mapshare changes that were previously available, plus any more that are processed, are added to the new Map for another year. Along with any other Map corrections that may have been incorporated, presumably by TeleAtlas.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basicly TT are using it to get more cash out of those who dont upgrade there unit every year! At least TT maps aint too expensive! as opposed to others! But still gotta hand it to TT!

How often do TT upgrade maps? and i take it i should wait for v8.xxx maps to work with navcore 8 when/if its rekeased for my 720!

Thanks oldboy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
So basicly TT are using it to get more cash out of those who dont upgrade there unit every year! At least TT maps aint too expensive! as opposed to others! But still gotta hand it to TT!

How often do TT upgrade maps? and i take it i should wait for v8.xxx maps to work with navcore 8 when/if its rekeased for my 720!

Thanks oldboy

Think TT is acting differently than any other company that sells what are essentially consumables? The razor companies make their money on the blades, not the razor. The printer companies make the big bucks on the ink/toner, not the printer itself.

For North America, my understanding is that maps are upgraded 4x per year. Don't know about Europe, sorry.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about buying maps and think mapshare is a great idea in princible! and TT's price for new maps is better than most others! but i wont upgrade till v8.xxx of both map and firmware is confirmed or denied, as you'll need v8 maps for the new features! now that is like a good ploy for people to buy new maps! eg here have this all singing all dancing upgrade it does all this and have it free! by the way you'll need new maps for xx amount to use it Laughing Out Loud dont get me wrong aint got a problem with a company after selling and as your told xx% of roads change yearly so to keep your sat nav upto date your gonna need new maps! but as i found with my navman to buy maps for it costs more than your unit is selling for at that point! TT maps are more reasonable than Navman so i'm more likely to upgrade maps as opposed to getting new unit! and as i told her indoors £60 for a new map aint bad if i had to buy a paper maps for the area i cover at work ie all uk south of birminghamit would cost well over £200 plus sat nav saves me so much time!
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as my mapshare has never connected since I have had the unit I think I will 'contact' TT and ask when my year actually starts.

Wink

Bet I know what the answer will be.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
Seeing as my mapshare has never connected since I have had the unit I think I will 'contact' TT and ask when my year actually starts.

Bet I know what the answer will be.

EM lets see! it would be your fault it hasnt worked, then they'll get you to reset the unit and try again! Laughing Out Loud

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: