Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 370 post codes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 370 post codes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: nuvi 370 post codes Reply with quote

this is my first post, hi to everyone and thanks in advance for any advice.

ive just bought a nuvi 370. my job dictates that i have to visit properties which sometime have a house name and a post cose only. I cant seem to make the 370 only recognice the post code only, it asks for street name and number, is there any way round this?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post codes cover an 'area' rather than a specific house so if the area is thinly populated then it may cover numerous roads hence asking you for the actual road you want. with regards to house number just press next' or put '0' then press next to be taken to the 'middle' of the road or area.

if you visit these properties regularly you can always save them as favourites or make your own POI file for them once you find them?!

MaFt
mikeouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the tip, when i say i visit these properties i mean its a one off, my business is erecting forsale signs for estate agents, so once ive put the sign up ,id find it again from memory and once the sign is down it could be years before i go back if ever. Most local addresses i know from memory but i get the odd out of town/rural address. for example,today i got this "mourne lea, sandside, kirkby in furness, la17 9eg". the property is called mourne lea, so no number, and theres no road or street name, its just sandside, when i tried to put the post code in, after 4 digits it went to number!!!!!thats where i got stuck!!!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
after 4 digits it went to number!!!!!

Hmm. That doesn't sound right. Did you buy it off eBay by any chance?

edit: spelling...

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you also look in

Settings, Map, Map Info

and tell us what maps you have loaded?

The nuvi range support full 7 digit postcodes. If you have no house number you have to enter 0 and then work it out from there - i have some customers that live on estates with no house numbers too. However it should get you in the right road / area with juts a 7 digit post code.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 760 doesn't find that post code (LA17 9EG). Nor does MultiMap, but StreetMap and Google Maps seem to. Even the Post Office website to find an address from Post Code says

Quote:
Unfortunately we could not find this postcode. Please check it. If the postcode is correct but we still can’t find it, please read the help below to find out what to do.

What happens if you try to find your own property using Post Code and house number? Does it cut off after 4 digits?
mikeouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
after 4 digits it went to number!!!!!

Hmm. That doesn't sound right. Did you buy it off eBay by any chance?

edit: spelling...

nope, pc world
mikeouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
My 760 doesn't find that post code (LA17 9EG). Nor does MultiMap, but StreetMap and Google Maps seem to. Even the Post Office website to find an address from Post Code says

Quote:
Unfortunately we could not find this postcode. Please check it. If the postcode is correct but we still can’t find it, please read the help below to find out what to do.

What happens if you try to find your own property using Post Code and house number? Does it cut off after 4 digits?

no, it lets me put the whole post code in, so it must just be something to do with that postcode i mentioned. I tried google maps and the position it shows is nowhere near to where the actual property is anyway, its atleast a mile out
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8

I've tried that postcode (LA17 9EG) in my Quest 2 with the City Navigator 2008 maps loaded. It gets up to LA17, entering the following 9 gives me a not found message.
Tried the same on MapSource with CN 2008 maps. There you see what possible codes it knows after LA17, which is only 7 (LA17 7xx), five combinations in total.

So it looks like Navteq doesn't know that code and I don't think it has something to do with your unit.

BeatO
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Post Office also don't know it either. Their website reports...

Quote:

I wonder if the post code you have been given is correct... Even searching Google for the Post Code LA17 9EG only brings up this thread.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: