Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Am I looking for the impossible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I looking for the impossible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Am I looking for the impossible Reply with quote

Hi, I'm totally ignorant when it comes to GPS. As a result I dare say I'm hoping to find the impossible. What I would like is a GPS that works both when driving and for when I'm walking, or is it absolutely necessary to two separate units? I would also like to be able to navigate using a full post code.

Apart from this, I am also hoping I can have a GPS that works even when it's not in navigation mode. Like when I'm travelling to places I already know how to get to, but would still like to be informed of any speed cameras and so on.

Is their anyone who can advise me what to look for.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A combined device will never give you the full features available that dedicated units for each task offer. The best compromise for this is a good quality PDA running something like Memory Map for walking and one of the car nav software packages for on road. I would look to other software rather than TomTom though for the PA solution as TTN6 is getting a little old by now.
You will also have to consider protection of the device using something like an Otter box for walking, and a decent car holder to secure it.

You should list what else you want from the device, hands free for the mobile phone, mp3 player etc, also an idea of budget would help pointing you at some devices to look at. - Mike
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. From what your saying, I would be better off with individual units each dedicated to it's own task. I just thought it might be possible to simply switch cards to do whichever task I Wanted. As far as the budget is concerned, this is not a problem but I would prefer not to have to spend more than £200 unless it's absolutely necessary. The most important of the units I would need would be the one for the car, so I'll deal with that first. It must be very simple to use with good clear maps, especially when zooming out, and should be able to navigate at the touch of the map, by full street addresses or by full post codes. I would prefer a voice warning for speed cameras such as those downloadable from this site. I would also like it to navigate around traffic jams and avoid toll roads if possible. Now, if possible, it would be nice if the unit when switched on can show me my exact location on the map wherever I might be, and also to direct me back home at the click of one icon. As for MP3 player and hands free phone, these would be a bonus but certainly not essential. I will have to look more into the PDA's as I know less about them than I do GPS. Tony
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point worth investigating if you do decide to get a single unit is the battery life.

Some car units only have a 2 hour life which would be unsuitable for a long country walk.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
One point worth investigating if you do decide to get a single unit is the battery life.

Some car units only have a 2 hour life which would be unsuitable for a long country walk.

Good point. Although it looks like I will be getting single units, one for the car and one for walking. Just the same, when it comes to the walking, battery life will be important. Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another little point... if you get one specifically for walking, get one that can take ordinary AA batteries.
The best satnav in the world becomes a useless brick if the battery runs down, and you can't charge it up on a mountainside!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: