Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - am I stuck with TomTom Navigator 6 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

am I stuck with TomTom Navigator 6 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: am I stuck with TomTom Navigator 6 ? Reply with quote

hi,

I have been using a Typhoon Myguide 3500 (same as Mio 168/Navman pin 300) with TT Navigator 6 for my navigation and Pocketgps speed cam database, for some time now, and am very pleased with this combination.

as a registered user, keeping the speed cams updated is no problem,
it has occured to me that TomTom do not seem to have any mapping for PDA's other than Navigator ver 6 ?

I believe there is a version 7, but not for PDA.

does this mean I will be forever stuck with my current mapping and have no chance of keeping up-to-date ?
if so, it it perhaps that TomTom now have no interest in the PDA market since they are selling dedicated units in large quantities ?

any comments welcomed,
Kevin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in time you are stuck with the PDA version 6 software and the compatible maps unless you purchase a PNA device which will run the Navcore 7 software and accept newer maps, with Navcore 8 for PNA devices just around the corner (suggested release with the new x30 PNA devices is the end of next month).
So in a little over 30 days time PDA users will still be using version 6 while the new devices will be hitting the streets running Navcore 8, it does appear TomTom seem to have abandoned the PDA users for quite some time - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if so, it it perhaps that TomTom now have no interest in the PDA market since they are selling dedicated units in large quantities ?
Consider changing to Mio or iGO mapping when you are due for an update. Very Happy
carkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mike ....
much as I expected really.

I'm not familiar with PNA's, but may have to consider one since TT6 on my PDA is not finding some housing estates that have been built over 6 years ago !

would anyone know if it is possible to tweak all one's preferences on a PNA as one can with TT6 on my PDA ?
and can one install and manage pocketgps speed cam database to them.
(including adding ogg files for audible alerts etc)

any advise on what models may allow this kind of customization would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Kevin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest you can do far more in way of customization using TomTom on a PA than a PDA, but remember you can only use it for the single function it was purchased for i.e. running TomTom software.
With MapShare you can even edit (to a limited amount) the map and POI files, the ogg files certainly work (with a few minor hick-ups, but in use they are fine) - if you are thinking about switching consider the Go720 which covers full Europe, the lesser equipped Go520 is dearer by £10 or more these days!! - under £170 from most retailers these days and it was £330 only 9 months ago - Mike
carkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you are a great help !
if I understand your last post correctly ...
these TT Go's will run the latest mapping, allow much customization ..
AND allow me to have the speed cam database (I use the zoned ones) with all those pretty ogg files ?

if so I will be a happy bunny, since I don't need a PDA, just latest mapping and latest speed cams.

ps: that Antonov video link is good ! ... how many golfers would it take to Faro !
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGG files will work fine on the PNA units, you also get Text To Speech which will read out the road names, SMS text messages, or when configured, a warning you want for any type of POI including Speed Cameras - it will read out exactly what you have typed in to it and associated with that POI category.
Add to this hands free for the mobile phone (depending upon phone make/ model etc. not all types are fully supported), mp3 player and transmitter to play the whole lot through the car radio system (hands free calls use the in built speaker for some reason, but the rest can be blasted through the vehicles system).
Speed Zoned is the only camera database I use and it works fine on all my TomTom PNA devices, grab a bargain with the prices of the x20 units being at an all time low, the functionality I describe above is from the x20 device range.
As for numbers of golfers, probably around a thousand if configured for double deck cargo, bags up top and pax on the main cargo floor - no seats though Laughing - Mike
carkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top man Mike ....
thanks again for all your help - just going to empty my money box !
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike just a point, With navcore 8 apparently just around the corner will the 720 be dumped just like the nav6 pda software, like the software being crippled and not be able to used on earlier versions thus forcing people upto the later PNAs, i would have thought that thier would still be case for PDAs as it would seem that perhaps the igo 8 may be surpassing TomTom in some respects, must admit i cant talk from actual experience but must be a thought because im still on nav6 and always looking at the next step.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite correct about Navcore 8 being around the corner, and it is this very fact that has made the 720 hit rock bottom price levels. It would be a difficult call to make on second guessing prices but I would have thought a 720 at the lowest cost available plus a new map for the version 8 software (when released) will be cheaper than purchasing a comparable x30 device.
What we don't know are release dates for any sort of update programme for the older devices, but if past software releases are anything to go by version 8 software will be available for the earlier units given time.

Other PDA based software worth considering is iGo 8, Co-pilot Live 7 and the about to be seen Rote 66 version 8 for PDA - TomTom need to wake up that there is demand for PDA based software, and with the increasing use of mobile phones with integral GPS they are denying themselves access to this market - Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're ALL stuck with Nav 6 Sad
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if we're beginning to see a general marketing change within TomTom that started with the 720. It looks as tho the intent is to diasable the VR hack for NA, where in the past, TT would have ADDED VR for NA after some period of time. Maps are also now device specific and coupled with navcore 6 issue, makes me wonder what the chances of x30 features being made available to the x20's. In the past it would have appeared to be nearly assured. In fact, even Garmin, with the nuvi700's, has been more aggressive in adding features after the fact than TT lately.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: