Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has anyone used the Garmin Traffic Module in anger?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone used the Garmin Traffic Module in anger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaggy_x
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Has anyone used the Garmin Traffic Module in anger? Reply with quote

Just wondered if these traffic modules on some sat navs are actually of any use? Has anyone used one in anger and did it re-route
via a practical alternative?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine all the time, and yes, when it works, it works well. Unfortunately, it doesn't work 100% of the time, which makes it less useful. Generally though, it supplements the other traffic data sources I already have, and therefore provides me with an extra level of help. As for the diversions, yes, generally these work well, although if the major route is completely blocked, it is likely the surrounding routes will also be busier, and this can make you feel you've simply been diverted from one traffic jam into another.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it once and it took me off a motorway, which was apparently congested 4 miles ahead, through a busy town and back onto the motorway a few miles further up, just in time to catch the wrong end of a 10 mile tail back it didn't tell me about..... Twisted Evil The route was practical but it doesn't take into account the time of day...... Embarassed

On a run from Guildford to Sutton it did make me avoid the A3 due to an accident and took me the back way which was great - 10 minutes longer but hardly stopped all the way.

So 50:50 so far....

However one thing i don't like is that when it warns of a delay on route but it doesn't care how far away it is. On the London to Lake District run it kept telling us of accidents near Kendal when we were on the M25 (200+ miles away)!!! The thing is you can't find out where it is unless you operate the unit whilst driving. Also the poor signal doesn't help. We were closing on an accident (~10 miles to go) and wondered if to divert or not. Then the signal was lost. When we got to the place the accident was supposed to be there was no sign of it and signal resumed 15 minutes later....

I've also driven through areas that are marked bright red for slow traffic that are completely clear!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: