Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom home and a new Ipaq?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom home and a new Ipaq?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: TomTom home and a new Ipaq? Reply with quote

I got the latest maps etc for TT6 for my new Ipaq. Installed via TomTom Home.

The Ipaq has since died and has gone back to be replaced. What happens when I get a new one? Will TomTom Home understand that I have a new Ipaq and install the product and maps successfully?

If not, how do I fix this?

Alan
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOME won't do it automatically as it won't recognise your new device as a TT device.

I would go for a 'normal' manual install of the applicationand maps. You will need to re-unlock your maps again. You should be able to do this automatically via ttcode.com. If you have any problems you will need to contact TT support.

TT allow you to upgrade/replace your PDA once in the first 6 months after initial unlock of the map and then twice more in the next three years? Something like that - but someone may be able to give a more precise answer. I didn't have a problem moving from an iPaq 3630 to a 3660 and then to my current DELL AXIM. Each time I just logged onto TTCODE.com and entered the original product code.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - another thought...

If you can avoid using HOME - I would do so. It's more trouble than it's worth IMHO.

When you get you replacement PDA, install TTN V6 and put in your card with the maps on - at this point it should ask you for the unlock code - off you go to ttcode.com
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks. I'll have a go once I get my new Ipaq (end Feb).

The weird thing is that I never entered an unlock code with TT Home. I downloaded TT6.03. Installed that. Tested it out and it started OK, but obviously, any maps I had were invalid.

Downloaded the EU map (after I had paid for it), got a product code, TT Home installed that plus some voices and the post code for the UK and I was off and running.

So, is that normal?

Alan
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to resurrect my Ipaq 210. Did a hard reset, connected to HOME and downloaded version 6.03 again (obviously the maps were on the SD card and didn't need reloading).

Once again, it did NOT ask me for a registration number - just worked. Is this normal with HOME? This is a legal copy - I paid for the EU map.

Alan
Simp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

How did you get TT6 to work on your Ipaq 210 ? I got a new ipaq 214 last week and all I get is the screen backlight going off and I cannot see a thing?

How did you install your TT6 ?

Has anyone else had problems with the new 214 or is it just me ? If me then I will discuss with TT but as not on their compaitbility list I feel that they wil give me the hard shoulder.

Thanks

Simon
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I posted that in another topic.

However, the answer is to get TT 6.03 from TomTom (I think it's a free download). Then the backlight stays on.

As to installing it, I used TomTom Home 1.5 (also a free download) and let it do the install for me.

It's all working fine now. I've re-installed it twice just to check.

If you have any questions, please ask - I've been around Ipaqs for many years now.

Alan
bewildered
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simp, you are not alone.... I also have just got a 214. Took my TTN6 from my Loox 720 and installed it on 214. Start....backlight is off. Tried all the fixes I can find. I have found if you Start ttN6, then (on dark screen) click once on map to start TT choices screen, then press button 2 to load Start menu and choose settings, system, backlight. Click on a few things (doesn't seem to matter what), then OK to close, backlight comes on and stays on. All is OK then, but what a mess. Very tricky to navigate the dark screens too. No good other than to prove the rest of TTN6 works OK. I also found an entry in WIndows directory called Backlight. I copied that onto my SD card. If I click that it brings up the System, Backlight screen. If I could somehow get that to run automatically after loading TTN6 it would do as a solution, but I don't know how to do that. Anyone?
Simp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan

I got the 6.03 update and works fine - Really appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

Simon
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
OK thanks. I'll have a go once I get my new Ipaq (end Feb).

The weird thing is that I never entered an unlock code with TT Home. I downloaded TT6.03. Installed that. Tested it out and it started OK, but obviously, any maps I had were invalid.

Downloaded the EU map (after I had paid for it), got a product code, TT Home installed that plus some voices and the post code for the UK and I was off and running.

So, is that normal?

Alan

Yep - that's normal. the unlock codes apply to the maps - the application is free of such restrictions - but is of no use at all without the maps.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil. So, is this how Home works? On my previous installations (TT 5) I had to enter a code and get it validated via ttcode.com. I have not had to do that here.

Alan
AnOlden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my IPaQ 110 the update software appears to cure the problem!
Why can't they make life easier!
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks to all the above posts, I had my new Toy working within no time ---- Ipaq 214 (nice large screen)

Thanks All Laughing

What would I do without pocketgpsworld

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: