Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - out walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

out walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankiex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: out walking Reply with quote

Can someone advise me on what handheld gps to buy for walkers.

I have tried to search for myself, but I find it absolutely bewildering the amount of models out there.

I would also like help on buying software to go with it, that would show public footpaths etc.

Thanks Frank
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use a Garmin GPSmap76csx, with GB Topo. It is very good for walking and cycling purposes. The topographical data is good, roads and tracks are OK, but not brilliant. The reason being that Garmin have purchased the topo data from the OS, but (presumably to cut costs) have overlain this with Navtech data for roads and tracks, which they already have. This data is less detailed than OS for general navigation purposes. I also use Anquet mapping software in conjunction with this, but, in common with all GPS units, you cannot display the actual map, only the route and waypoint info. This is because the mapping data used by Anquet, Memory Map etc, is in a different format to that used by hand hed GPS units.
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, except I use a Legend hcx and MemoryMap software. The TopoGB maps are fine for cycling , and walking in hilly country where contours are sometimes more important than tracks. Not so good for field 'rights of way' where it's important to stick to the track as far as possible - but then your paper map will have the extra detail needed.
frankiex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Guys.

Frank
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yu want true OS style maps you could consider on of the topo map software packages like Memory Map combined with a PDA and GPS Receiver, the down side is the battery life although it is possible to get 8 hours out of some PDA units or supplement this with an external battery pack. The biggest problem with a PDA however is the weather, they don't work well in wet conditions and can be easily damaged, invest in an Otter box to waterproof the device.
One other device to consider is the active 10 made by SatMap, these are a rugged waterproof device with integral GPS and display true OS maps - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the slightly lower tech way...

Buy a simple (non-mapping) unit and use this in conjunction with paper maps - of which as you are a walker, you will have plenty! If you are an OSGB lover then Mikes's suggestions are really the only way to go if you want fully paperles.
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could i ask a question of Mike et al related to this subject.?
I am about to replace my in car GPS(Navman) and i am considering the option of a PDA eg Mio with add on GPS such as Tom Tom for the car plus using it also for hillwalking using Memory Map on the same device.
I dont have a big budget so advice or opinions on this would be very much appreciated.

Terry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, what sort of information are you looking for? does the device have to be MIO or would you consider something else?
I would be looking for a device with integral GPS these days as it just so much easier, battery life is allways going to be an issue when out walking but my iPAQ-4700 can manage around 8 hours from a full charge if the screen backlight is used sensibly and that includes powering a CF GPS receiver.
Memory Map and TomTom will be quite happy installed to the same device, for in car use get a decent car holder (I would explorer Brodit as they are good devices) you wouldn't want the new PDA ruined from a fall when driving, cheap car mounts are false ecconomy. You should also keep the PDA on charge at all times while in the vehicle, TomTom is a very power hungry appliation and will hammer the battery if not externally powered while in use.
As I said earlier for walking you should think about an Otter Box, these can save the day when (not if) you drop the PDA while walking or want to use it in the rain - Mike
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info Mike.
The only reason i have looked at the Mio is that a friend uses a Mio p550 with Memory Map and Tom Tom 6.It seems to work fine for both applications but has short battery life and low volume when used as in car GPS.I dont have any experience of other PDA's
I dont particularly need Bluetooth/WiFi etc as i am retired thank god.
I have been with Navman for 5-6 years and like the devices but am getting fed up with the annual "updates/new software"nonsense.The pattern is the same having to regularly buy a new model to make sure the mapping is updated.I would also like the option of using Memory Map.
Information on other devices would be appreciated.
I also forget to mention that i have used a Magellan Meridian on the hill i bought many years ago but it cant be updated and battery life is rubbish

Terry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: