Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please - just bought TomTom 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please - just bought TomTom 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Help please - just bought TomTom 2 Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am having a v.. v.. annoying problem regarding the installation of the software. I bought the software with cables charger mount and all from eBay - the software was brand new and shrink wrapped (so I don't think anyone else could have used it).
I have an HP Jornada 540 which is a few years old. I've bought also a 256 mb CF card to use TomTom.
Problem is that after installing the software on my device and the maps on my card, when running navigator it comes up with the page asking me to install the maps. This is the same when I uninstalled and installed on my card and after several map reinstalls.
Any suggestions or helpful advice? I'm slightly disappointed with the lack of documentation that came with the software.
Please help since I just forked out over £150 on this stuff and its damn annoying!!
If it helps the receiver is a Rikaline one and it came with a wire / serial thing to connect to my pda.
Thanks in advance,
SS
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SS21K

And welcome to the forum :-)

the good news is that ttnv2 software looks as if it has installed ok re map message, it sounds to me like a cf card issue....

if the product was sealed and you registered it then the maps should be v2 also (v1 maps dont work on ttnv2)

does your pda see the cf card>? i.e you can browse the files on it using file explorer on the pda.?

what cf type is your card slot on your pda i.e slot I or slot II or both.?

If you have installed and uninstalled the maps then i suppose its seeing and using the cf card properly.

does your pda show any errors when installing maps to the cf card.?

Cheers
Nick
Oslo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here as well, and had the exact same problem. Tried to use an IBM Thinkpad R40 (laptop), and got into the same problem. Then I tried to install using an Acer Laptop. Same problem. Finally, installed it using a desktop computer, and it all went well. Strange problem, but the only advice I can give is to try another computer. preferably desktop.
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. The CF card is a type 1 (only type 1) and works with my jornada - I can see it on the jornada itself and even on my pc. No errors when doing this.
Also, I think the problem maybe that I am installing straight to the card? It takes about half an hour to install the 92mb map - should I use a card reader?
When you say you used another pc (oslo) did you install straight onto the card or active sync your pda to each pc in turn?
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeh, I don't know if its worth mentioning but the size of the files on the card when I browse the pda on my pc is not equal to 92mb. Perhaps something there? I've tried installing it twice and both times it comes out at difference sizes.
Oslo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first installed the application to the internal memory, then I installed the map (Scandinavia approx. 128 Mb) to my 1 Ggb CF-card. All was done using the cradle. I still think you should try to install using another PC. There could be some issues with USB speed.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ss21k,
half an hour for uk maps to pda is usual :-( , you could try using the software to install the maps into a folder on your desktop pc, and then moving the folder from your desktop to the cf card using active sync etc to see if this works.

also double check on your map installing screen that the left hand side (where it says TomTom has either 2.0 or V2 under it

Cheers
Nick

p.s have you got an SD Card>? if so try to add them to that and see if that works
lostnfound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick412 wrote:
half an hour for uk maps to pda is usual :-( , you could try using the software to install the maps into a folder on your desktop pc, and then moving the folder from your desktop to the cf card using active sync etc to see if this works.

or install to a PC folder then move the maps to CF card using a PC card reader would save a lot of time.
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About to try nick412's suggestion.
Thanks!
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw - it is v 2.24.4 as said on the screen.
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that! Btw, I don't have an sd card.
I couldn't get it to work by installing the maps manually from the pc to the card! I'll try it on another pc of mine and see if that helps at all.
Oslo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss21k wrote:
that! Btw, I don't have an sd card.
I couldn't get it to work by installing the maps manually from the pc to the card! I'll try it on another pc of mine and see if that helps at all.

As mentioned here earlier, I have tried most (all) tricks. Also manual copy of maps. There are absolute no other ways then trying another PC until somebody finds out what goes wrong. Good luck!
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I'm about to try that now. Did you use a cf reader on each pc or did you try installing active sync on each?
Oslo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ActiveSync! And the copy of maps didn't take anything like 30 mins. 5-8 minutes via ActiveSync (124 Mb)
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Tried on another pc but still doesn't work. Both pcs tried so far are desktops and I've used both activesync and a cf reader I bought today. Do you think the problem could be the CF card i am using?
It is a viking 256mb card bought from ebuyer.com.
Also what operating systems did you use to install the software? I have used winxp on all machines.
Thanks,
Sunil Shah

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: