Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbie struggling with POI alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie struggling with POI alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: newbie struggling with POI alerts Reply with quote

hi,
I am using Navigator 6 on a Mio 168 and thanks to the good info on this site am now ok at getting bmp.ov2 & ogg files sorted for custom alerts on cameras by zone etc ...

however, I would like to have my own sound for golf courses, rather than the default beeps, or bongs I am offered.

I presume all the 'built-in' POI's are in a poi.dat file I have found, but can't find a location for the default sounds (I was just going to put my 'ogg' with them)

I did download the UK golf courses poi's from the siteand added my ogg ok, but found that it missed many courses that the Nav 6 has built in.

so, in summary, I suppose my question is -
is it possible to add a custom sound to a 'standard' poi in Naviagtor 6 ?

any help really appreciated,
regards,
Kevin Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Crying or Very sad

On TomTom Navcore 7, there is a "sounds" folder, and any ogg or wav files which you put in there are added to the sounds on the selection page.
But I don't think that facility exists in v6.

Amazed you've found a POI category where TT's efforts are BETTER than a third-party one!
Depending on how many there are, you could always spend a quiet evening browsing to the built-in ones and adding them to your third party list. (with "add POI")
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDA based Navigator 6 software will not support ogg format warnings for the inbuilt POI files, all you could do is copy the contents one by one to a custom POI file as Andy has suggested, but even this is getting close to copyright problems.

It is also possible to take apart the inbuilt POI file but that is definitely not something I am going to enter in to as it makes breach of copyright even easier - more to the point since the last PC blew up I no longer have the software to even try this - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thorny copyright issue...

If all you are doing is viewing info that is already on your own machine and manually converting it to show you the same info on the same machine but in a slightly different way, I can't imagine the copyright police breaking your door down, though.

But they're probably allowed to bug your phone, so don't tell anyone! Oops, too late... Shocked
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the easiest way to add them in TT6 on the Mio 168 is to use poiedit and add the extra locations to the downloaded file using this and then saving back, you can then add your own ogg file,this works for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: