Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'POI Sounds' Constantly Resetting - Bloody Sick. Any Advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'POI Sounds' Constantly Resetting - Bloody Sick. Any Advice?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: 'POI Sounds' Constantly Resetting - Bloody Sick. Any Advice? Reply with quote

(XP'd in terms of it being on YN forum too)

As per the title...

For the FOURTH time today, I have found that all the sound effects I set for my speed camera POI's, have AGAIN reset themselves.

I am bloomin' SICK of this - as just to highlight, I have my cameras from the PGPSW database all done as separate types, and further divided by actual speed.

Thus we are talking a whopping THIRTY ONE custom sounds to set up here each time, and this is now the FOURTH time today it has done this.

I set up, painstakingly, one by one, all my separate camera POI's, for the relevant distances (I vary it so slower cameras get less distance, higher speed ones a greater warning), and then choose "Beep 5" (the police siren sounding inbuilt sound) as my warning sound.

I do this one by one, slow and boring, for all of them.

Then I connect my TomTom, and the FIRST thing I do is a full Windows based backup, of the device, to my PC.

BUT... as soon as I go outside, they have ALL reverted back to the first sound in the list "Beep 1"

What on earth is going on here - can you actually really even set POI warning sounds, or is it just a myth?

Whatever, I am sick to death, given the huge numbers involved.

So if anyone has any ideas, I'd be more than happy to hear them...

Cheers all.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try dl and running the clear flash tool located here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4

After running it, set a custom sound, just one. See if it 'takes'. If so, carry on with others.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and when you've done them all, make a BackUp copy of the MapSettings.cfg File, found in the Map Folder. This holds all your settings.

If you copy it back it will save you having to set up all the warnings again. Wink

Not ideal, but it works.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
... and when you've done them all, make a BackUp copy of the MapSettings.cfg File, found in the Map Folder. This holds all your settings.

If you copy it back it will save you having to set up all the warnings again. Wink

Not ideal, but it works.

Thing is though mate, I can't stress it enough - the FIRST, immediate first thing I do, straight after setting them all up, is do a FULL windows backup.

So theoretically, the mapconfig file should be backed up just as you say - but it seems that it is not.

next time I will instead of doing a full backup, just immediately copy ONLY that file over though, to see if that sorts it!

Mmmm - curious.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your SD card isn't write protected so it can't write the config file. You should also try the ogg file method it's much better.

theripper
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I'm bloomin' sick of this...

I have tried, tried, and tried again, the suggestions here (except the flash clear tool - what else will that wipe, before I try it folks?).

And nothing is fixing it.

If I set my POI sounds, and then INSTANTLY save the mapsettings.cfg file to my pc, as soon as I undock my TomTom, and let it reboot in my hand, when I go into the POI sound settings, they are all once again back to "Bell 1"

I am sick to death of this *Laughing Out Loud*

And if I then immediately copy over the backed up mapsettings.cfg file back over ONTO the TomTom it has no effect, because as soon as you undock it and let it reboot, the camera sounds have reset themselves.

This applies whether I set the sounds using the TomTom in my hand, or even docked and running through my PC. It also does this for inbuilt sounds, as well as a Camera Sound I downloaded using Home too, just to try that.

What is frustrating me is that OTHER POI sounds I have set, such as Burger Kings etc, do not get changed back. Only my lengthy list of PGPSW Speed Cameras reset to Bell 1.

Oh man.

So what does this Flash Reset tool also wipe then folks, before I try that?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know that the Clear Flash tool will help me much, as it says it is for those with SD cards. And I am now only using the standard internal memory.

Oh man.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - more info for you, if you can help.

If I set the Custom POI sounds, they will work fine, surviving any number of reboots etc.

BUT...

As soon as I simply connect my TomTom to my PC, THAT is when they reset.

Oh man.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Don't know that the Clear Flash tool will help me much,
Use it anyway, it won't do any harm, and it's been known to cure all manner of things. Smile

As soon as you've used it, do a Reset Factory Settings.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr, I know this will sound obvious but you are disconnecting by using "safely remove hardware" from the task tray or "eject" from My Computer aren't you? You are not just disconnecting the TomTom by unplugging/undocking it. If you are just unplugging it, data is guaranteed to be saved.

Also, as it has happened to me on a few occasions but I don't know the cause, are you doing anything extra with Home etc which is causing this?
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people have had this happen occasionally (including myself), but I'd come to the conclusion it was when connecting to Home, rather than to the PC itself, that caused the problem (and as I say, it was only occasional).
If you still have Home starting automatically when you boot up the PC (the default behaviour), I'd change that now in Home's preferences, so you can hopefully get a handle on what is ACTUALLY doing it.

I would definitely try the Clear Flash (it won't lose any of your personal settings, although the factory reset suggested above, will!)
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Are the TT speed cameras dissabled, is this the problem.

Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks guys for your time in trying to help me here.

To answer all the outstanding points, as best I remember them.

1) I have tried setting them using Home and "Operate my Device", but in truth, actually worry that THIS is the cause rather than the solution (that is, having "Home" running, like Andy suggests might cause issues, later). Indeed, I also notice that when running the device for real, I have additional options such as "Type your own warning", which is NOT shown when setting them through Home and a virtual PC connection. So I suspect setting them through "Home", whilst much more speedy than the device itself, is not a good idea maybe.

2) I am normally using the "Disconnect my device" option first. But I reckon it might not matter because of point 3, next:

3) I had considered this too Andy, curiously enough, and MEANT to set them on the device in my hand, and then connect to my PC WITHOUT Home running at all, to do a Windows only backup/copy. BUT, in all this trial and error, had FORGOT to disable Home from auto-starting. So this is something I meant to try myself but have not yet done. So this is my next step to try. Set them all on device proper, in my hand, then connect to PC having made sure Home won't auto-start first. Then copy the mapsettings.cfg file to PC as quick as possible. Then seeing if it actually Home starting up, that is affecting things! I have a feeling it might be the culprit.

4) TomTom Cameras are disabled.

(And as further info, I have tried the clear flash thing anyway, but to no avail - did not do a Full Reset after that though as there is way too much will be lost/reset for me to like that option).

Cheers all. Will let you know how I get on.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this happen to my 520 if i connect to TT Home to get updates for map share poi and speed camera updates.
I tend not to use TT Home much because of this.
Kev
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr there in lies the problem, do not set them via tomtom home, set them on the device and stop home from auto running when you connect to the pc,
then use windows explorer to make a copy, not tomtom home. lastly i have read that if you use the operate my tomtom fascility in tt home that will also undo any sounds for the poi's

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: