Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare - Report Error function
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare - Report Error function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Mapshare - Report Error function Reply with quote

Hi.

I've trawled through these pages and done a search for mapshare, but with all the problems this system seems to be having the number of threads do seem to grow a bit Rolling Eyes

Anyway, hopefully this will be a quick one. I'm very new to this new software & maps (2 days) so I'm finding the mapshare a bit hard to find info on. It seems it's easy to (un)block a street / reverse traffic / edit street name / Add Missing POI / Edit POI (although why they're there I don't know). These corrections seem to be immediately reflected in the map and the option is given to share the info.

However, for other details like a missing street the only option is to send a report. Now, this is my question - if I add a missing street will this reflect in my map straight away or will I have to wait for an update afterwards? After all, if it's only for MY benefit (unlike the A40 issue which seemed to benefit no-one) then it shouldn't have to be sent should it?

An example - near where a colleague works a new road has been built off a roundabout. It's only a private road (with no name), leading to a building compound but when the TT says "take the 2nd exit" the one needed is in fact now the 3rd. Not a major issue, but I'm sure that there are some people out there who would blindly follow the TT and when it says "first exit" would be straight up that private road. There are other instances on the maps where roads have been built off roundabouts but never completed and are just short dead ends, so this isn't without previous examples.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present, only items on the first screen show up on your map and are sent out to others. Items on the "report" screen are sent to TomTom for inclusion in later maps. However, at present, newer maps have not shown any of these amendments so the usefulness of the whole system is questionable.

Editing POIs can be useful - I've changed the position of a local car park so that you can actually get to it (road changes mean that the current map doesn't include the new entrance and the old one is not accessible) though I don't know if that has gone out to anyone else.

There does appear to be a problem with this at present though as I haven't had POI changes sent to me for almost a month. Confused
Brodit ProClip mount
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
At present, only items on the first screen show up on your map and are sent out to others. Items on the "report" screen are sent to TomTom for inclusion in later maps. However, at present, newer maps have not shown any of these amendments so the usefulness of the whole system is questionable.

It is physically not possible for 7.15 maps to include any of those "reported" errors.

Even if TomTom escalated all MapShare changes made in 7.10 back to TeleAtlas and TeleAtlas corrected everything the latest map update we got (7.15) is to early to see those changes in real life. YOu must take into notice the timeframe between map release is done by TeleAtlas and map being pushed to users by TomTom.

Consider the latest map. The 7.15 map published 5 Feb 2008 is actually based on TeleAtlas 2007.10 material, which means that the map is a snapshot of TeleAtlas data from September/October 2007. Now think
when MapShare really showed on market. The first devices showed up
around summertime, but considering initial problems, firmware updates
the realistic time before MapShare things was figured out is around September/October if not later.

So on 5th of Februrary 2008 we received the map that was published by TeleAtlas even before MapShare was really working on TomTom devices.

So considering just the dates it is almost impossible to have any MapShare updates being applied to the 7.15 map, unless TeleAtlas staff can travel in time.

So considering the TT escalated all changes to TeleAtlas and they applied them I think the earliest release we - as TomTOm users - might see those changes beeing applied to TA maps is their 2008.1 release (that will be published by TT in 3 months, or 2008.4 that should show up as TT map
in 6 months).
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kichu1979, I see where you are coming from and agree entirely.

However, TomTom have decided to choose to let their customers update the maps that TomTom are currently using (this would be on an older TeleAtlas basemap). It would be assumed by us (TomTom's customers) that changes TomTom make to one version of TeleAtlas's map could be re-used in a future version of the map. The age of the TeleAtlas basemap is irrelevant as TomTom are making changes immediately themselves - not passing back to TeleAtlas for the next map version.

Granted, I have no idea how the data is presented to TomTom from TeleAtlas but I would assume that unchanged features would keep the same index or at least a comparison between old and new indices could be obtained.

All I am saying is that MapShare changes that are made to one TeleAtlas basemap should be able to be made to a subsequent one. If this is not possible, then the usefulness of the MapShare feature is questionable.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: