Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - trumpion/route 66
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

trumpion/route 66
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: trumpion/route 66 Reply with quote

Hi
After using tt5 on a mio, the unit broke and I have replaced it with a Trumpion gps with route66 installed (may have been a mistake but however)
question: can I install tt5 on this unit? if not is there voice warnings for speed cams on route66 please, Supplier on ebay says that maps for tom tom can be downloaded from www.trumpion.co.uk but browser indicates problems with this url and passes me to the server
thanks all
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For installation of Speed Cameras AND spoken alerts to Route 66 please have a read of This User Guide.

I would be very interested if you could e-mail or PM me the link for TomTom maps from the trumpion web site - this certainly doesn't sound correct at all - Mike
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: thanks Mike Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike will print off the link to the installation on route66, Do you think it would be advisable to reload tt5 as per Mitac Mio as a trial and if it hits the fan..factory reset.? Route66 seems a little ambiguous after tt5
will certainly email link to maps if the website ever come on line
regards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install TomTom to the Trumpion device you will need to activate the map to get it working, there is no such thing as a trial with TomTom it is all or nothing.
I would try Route 66 to be honest if its the latest application with full postcode support its actually quite a neat usable software package from what I have experianced - Mike
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound a good bet to try route66 for a while then...I bought it this week so should be latest version...how do I get the post codes activated or instaled?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming Route 66 is installed on the device simply tap the screen and press Navigate To/ Locations then enter the postcode, don't forget the space though PR41AX won't work where PR4 1AX will work, you shouldn't have to load anything for postcode support it is built in _ Mike
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again many thanks Mike
have followed your instruction to place them onto my sdcard (could not find the voice files on the url you suggested - have they been bought out?) but had them on my tt5sdcard. configured as per your instr and will try out tomorrow on the five local cameras
regards
rockpebblar
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have altered the instructions on the Route 66 Camera set up Guide to reflect the fact that one of the links is dead, the only link on the page now points to a location on this site where the ogg files can be downloaded from.

Thanks for pointing this out though as it is difficult to stay in front of changes to information posted some time back! - I knew Ray's site was no longer functional (real shame) but I didn't realise there was still a link to it in a set up guide Embarassed (must try harder in future).

Let us know how you get on with the device, once setup it should work fine - Mike
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Mike
have tried route66 on two trips and have serious misgivings! at a major intersection in Derby it told me to turn left (whilst on a four lane approach road) when I know I was to take a right turn, and on a minor road (a515) approaching a roundabout it told me to "turn right then turn right" at a point where there was no turns, and when arriving at the roundabout gave the correct instructions.
question: have the r66 maps any known faults? it seems to give out erroneous instructions for no apparent reasons and then carries on as normal! luckily I tried it out on routes I have used many times but would hate to go to the middle on Manchester or Birmingham if it sent me in the wrong directions
regards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Route 66 maps could do with an update for a number of major junctions within the UK that I use are wrong, that said even the very latest map from TomTom is also wrong (A1M / A57) - as roads are altered it takes time for the change to be mapped and then filter through to the device manufacturers to embody the new layouts in their map.

Typically a new map will still be 18 months out of date, depending upon the map version you have installed to the device it could be 3 years out of sync with reality (18 months out of date when new + 18 months since it was released) - Mike
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: last ditch Reply with quote

Hi Mike, wont prolong the saga!
Would it be futile to ask for info on the forum re trying to reload tomtom onto this Trumpion gps? it states it has some version on wince as platform (v2.0.0.11.5) but cannot get past the main menu to access the system files, and tt setup cannot find or will not be allowed access to the sd card. I changed the shell to point to the SDMMC/tt/start.exe on the sd card but then get autorun.exe error message.
I appreciate that trumpion is a newish venture and probably another cheap chinese import but it actually seems a stronger machine than the mitac which has a very weak in car power lead connection and if I could load tt5 on it, it would be a very good system.
regards
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do successfully install TomTom Navigator on the Trumpion, when you reset the unit (or the bettery runs flat) all the changes made to the internal memory will be lost Shocked

The software on the SD card will be fine, but as some of TomTom Navigator software is installed to the WinCE installation (which is reset back to it's defaults on reset), it will no longer run.

This was the problem with TomTom Navigator on the Medion WinCE based Sat Nav's.

I would visit www.trumpion.co.uk

Download the original software from the downloads section (1.4 GB & includes the maps), pop it on the 2GB SD card and your away.

Good luck Smile

P.S. The website is working, just be sure your firewall isn’t blocking Adobe Flash animations etc.
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that DeLoreon!
I have already downloaded the files, and with Mikes help installed the voice warnings etc however I am not really happy with route66 and they (Trumpion)have agreed to help me with the installation of tomtom. I will assess the changes on the sd card I have returned to them to see if tt5 is viable on this gps. If it works I will let you know, if it doesnt, I will give further tests on r66 or buy another system (I go to addresses in Manchester/London/Birmingham and need a system which will take me to a house accurately and r66 will not even take me home!)
regards
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rockpebblar

I agree that the Route 66 lacks the finesse of the TomTom software.

The overall appearance and graphics used in the Route 66 software seem to be a bit weak Wink

How did you get on installing the TomTom Navigator software?

I did install TomTom Navigator 5 on the Medion 210T, but it wasn't perfect.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=60608&highlight=

I would think the same process would work for the Trumpion as they use the same OS etc.

Hovever, you will probably need to tweak the shell.ini file on the Trumpion.

I have managed to run some additional WinCE applications/games on the Trumpion Very Happy

Let us know how you get on Very Happy

Last edited by DeLorean on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockpebblar, there's another Trumpion thread I'm involved in at:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=375119#375119

It might be of interest Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: