Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help please :) Tom Tom / NAVMAN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help please :) Tom Tom / NAVMAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaznic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: help please :) Tom Tom / NAVMAN Reply with quote

I bought my Husband the TOM TOM for Christmas, which I had planned to borrow on an upcoming overseas trip. However he just bought me a NAVMAN instead of loaning me his TOM TOM!

I had just ordered Navigator 6 Europe map software and I want to know if the TOM TOM Navigator 6 map software will be compatbile with my NAVMAN iCN 520??

or will I need to buy specific software amps for the NAVMAN?
any advice please.

thanks
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you would need to buy the Navman software and maps, but if you are prepared to jump though some hoops, and learn a little more than most people ever want to know about Windows CE, you can run Tomtom on the Navman 520. I only advise this for people who are computer savy though.

There is a web site, I recently referred someone to the wrong one and got into heaps of trouble over, that specifically deals with this, so i won't attempt to post the link.

Seach for "Navmanunlocked".

Am sure you will abide by the terms and conditions of your TomTom software license if you decide to go ahead.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map update packs for the iCN510/520 are not even stocked by Navman, if they were they would be at least 2 years out of date, I would have a look for a TT One with an SD card slot rather than messing around loading TT onto the iCN520, it is possible to do, but the hardware you have is far from ideal, the GPS receiver is well below todays GPS units in terms of sensitivity.
The only TomTom device to avoid is the One Third Edition (regional) as that doesn't have a memory card slot so your map card won't fit - also there is insufficiant memory within the device to hold the full Europe map.

One other thought though, swap units for the duration of your trip, although that would mean the new map was locked to his device - Mike
gaznic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,
so do you mean that if I have the navigator 6 maps on a sd slot card - I could insert the card into the navman memory slot for use or would they not be compatible?

My husband bought the navman 2nd hand - I know its out of date - but he was trying to avoid me borrowing his Tom Tom!

or are you saying give up the navman and buy another tom tom with the SD Slot?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaznic wrote:
so do you mean that if I have the navigator 6 maps on a sd slot card - I could insert the card into the navman memory slot for use or would they not be compatible?
They are not compatible.

gaznic wrote:
or are you saying give up the navman and buy another tom tom with the SD Slot?
That would be the easiest, and preferred, option.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it is possible to unlock the Navman to reveal the Win CE operating system and then intall TomTom Navigator to the device to run your map this is not an easy task, I have unloocked an iCN510 but its not worth the hastle.
Sell it and get a TomTom One with a card slot for your new map, one of the advertisers on this site is selling returned stock for bargain prices at the moment, there is some information on this on the front page of the web site - Mike
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman are most definitely stocking full European maps for the ICN520 and they are currently for sale on their site at £39 pounds. I ordered on 31 Jan and had them in my hands on Monday. These are a bit behind being 2006 editions but are later than any ICN520 was originally loaded with.

Terry Walsh

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: