Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510 USB connection help please!! :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510 USB connection help please!! :(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: C510 USB connection help please!! :( Reply with quote

i have just bought and received a reconditioned c510 from dabs.com.
when listed it said there was nothing but the unit and the box, however when i received it looked pretty much complete and the included the following:

- the unit its self
- 2 piece holder thing for the windscreen
- 1cd with the software/usb driver/instructions on it
- 1 car charger
- 1 usb cable
- 1 wrist strap
- and a load of instruction books

the unit has very obviously been back to mio and had whatever needed doing to it done, although it is in good condition. however im guessing im missing the map dvd? is there anywhere i can download this from?

however the real problem is when i plug it in via the usb cable it doesnt connect. im running windows xp, and it automatically picks up the fact something is connected, it then automatically comes up unknown device and thats that.
when i go to assign the driver manually from the cd in device manager it see the file on the cd, but comes back with a small dialogue box saying "The specified location does not contain information abut your hardware."

i can connect to the unit via bluetooth (in the bluetooth software it shows up as WindowsCE with a little picture of headphones above it.) and i can see the following folders in the root:
\bluetooth_orthodox
\bluetooth_inbox
\PIM
\my picture
\mp3
\milomap
config.sys
setting.dat

i have transferred new voices onto it but the only thing the usb connection does is charge it.

has anyone else seen anything like this? or had any problems like this?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually you run the CD first to install any drivers and then plug a USB device in.

I would remove the device from your PC, reboot and put the CD in. Does any sort of menu come up that gives you the option to install USB Drivers? If so, do it and follow the prompts. Only plug the device back in when prompted or the installation is over.

Your PC doesn't contain the drivers yet hence it states it's an Unknown Device.

The drivers are on the CD but might be packed in a ZIP or CAB file which needs to be installed to the PC first.
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Usually you run the CD first to install any drivers and then plug a USB device in.

I would remove the device from your PC, reboot and put the CD in. Does any sort of menu come up that gives you the option to install USB Drivers? If so, do it and follow the prompts. Only plug the device back in when prompted or the installation is over.

Your PC doesn't contain the drivers yet hence it states it's an Unknown Device.

The drivers are on the CD but might be packed in a ZIP or CAB file which needs to be installed to the PC first.

ive just un installed the mio transfer software, deleted the unknown device in device manager and rebooted.
then reinstalled the software and reconnected the nit and exactly the same thing.

xp realises a new usb device has been plugged in, trys to install the driver and for god only knows what reason, decides that leaving it as an unknown device is acceptable and correct.
so i go into device manager and try to manually add the driver from the cd it just says what i said in my original post.

the cd comes up as MioCD in my computer. the driver is listed in f:\install\WCEUSB Driver\WCEUSBH.inf
there is also a WCEUSBH.sys file in with the inf file.

i've just looked into the inf file, and i dont know if this makes any difference, but there's nothing listed for the 510 under mio or mitac.
this is what's in there that i think is relevant:-
Mitac = "Mitac"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_0B1C.DeviceDesc = "Generic PPC StrongARM"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_0E3A.DeviceDesc = "Generic PPC USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_0F3A.DeviceDesc = "Generic SmartPhone USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_0F1C.DeviceDesc = "Itautec USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_1326.DeviceDesc = "Itautec USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_3326.DeviceDesc = "Medion USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_0326.DeviceDesc = "Mio DigiWalker 338"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_0426.DeviceDesc = "Mio DigiWalker 338"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_011C.DeviceDesc = "Mio DigiWalker PPC StrongARM"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_053A.DeviceDesc = "Mio DigiWalker SmartPhone USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_043A.DeviceDesc = "Mio DigiWalker USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_071C.DeviceDesc = "MiTAC USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_051C.DeviceDesc = "MiTAC USB Sync 528"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_2326.DeviceDesc = "Vobis USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_191C.DeviceDesc = "YAKUMO USB Sync"
USB\Vid_3340&Pid_043A.DeviceDesc = "MiTAC Mio136 Sync"

is this why it refuses to install the driver and says there's no info in the file?

could somebody else look in their inf file and see if anything is different?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackpool_lad wrote:

ive just un installed the mio transfer software, deleted the unknown device in device manager and rebooted.
then reinstalled the software and reconnected the nit and exactly the same thing.

This is a common problem I'm afraid. The units have their own unique USB driver instead of a generic Windows one. Windows will often attempt to install its own drivers instead, particularly if the unit is connected first. The PC should not be allowed to see the unit until after the drivers are installed from the disc.
When you un-install the drivers they are not fully removed from the PC. You may have to go into the registry editor, search for and remove every entry for Mio or Mitac. If you are not familiar with the registry editor, take great care or get someone experienced to do it for you.
Do a search in this forum for 'drivers'.
Good luck!

Sal
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C510 User Manual - 5.39 Mb PDF - Click Here

Section 8 deals with Mio Transfer.

Mio C510 Support Page Click Here

Mio C510 Downloads - Click Here

---
Instead of Registry Editing you could try disconnecting the device and doing a System Restore IF you have a point early today or late yesterday. Not worth going back a day or two....
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course once you have Mio Transfer working you will want to be able to install the PGPSW database. Since Mio Transfer does not access all of the folders, you will need the Transfer Hack (not a good name IMO). Search for it in this forum.

Sal
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
blackpool_lad wrote:

This is a common problem I'm afraid. The units have their own unique USB driver instead of a generic Windows one. Windows will often attempt to install its own drivers instead, particularly if the unit is connected first. The PC should not be allowed to see the unit until after the drivers are installed from the disc.
When you un-install the drivers they are not fully removed from the PC. You may have to go into the registry editor, search for and remove every entry for Mio or Mitac. If you are not familiar with the registry editor, take great care or get someone experienced to do it for you.
Do a search in this forum for 'drivers'.
Good luck!

Sal

cheers sal, i've already looked through a lot of posts on here but ant find anything similar to my problem but i'll go and have a look through the reg, however i think all the problems stem from the driver and or disc.

i've just looked at the disc, and its the right one for the c510, and says it contains navigation software, maps and documentation and is disk 1 of 1. however i cant see where the maps are on the disc. are they hidden? i've got all hidden files and folders turned off.

also i've just noticed that it is actually a CD and not a DVD and the total size is only 278MB despite saying "application DVD" on it?!
again, is this right?! this is getting fisher by the discovery. Laughing Out Loud

Sallyann wrote:
And of course once you have Mio Transfer working you will want to be able to install the PGPSW database. Since Mio Transfer does not access all of the folders, you will need the Transfer Hack (not a good name IMO). Search for it in this forum.

Sal

i've already downloaded the hack but as u say, it wont work till i get the usb connection working. Sad
what is the PGPSW database? i only wanted to update the maps and maybe the speedcams. Smile
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
C510 User Manual - 5.39 Mb PDF - Click Here

Section 8 deals with Mio Transfer.

Mio C510 Support Page Click Here

Mio C510 Downloads - Click Here

---
Instead of Registry Editing you could try disconnecting the device and doing a System Restore IF you have a point early today or late yesterday. Not worth going back a day or two....

cheers paul, i've been through all those pages before coming here, and downloaded all the downloads but the transfer program doesnt include a driver.

im not a big fan of the restore point, although i do have a good restore point when the device was 1st plugged in yesterday and ive done nothing else on the comp besides messing around with the device and software since.

like i said to sal, im sure this is a CD/DVD and or incorrect driver issue.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be two CD's. They are both labelled 1 of 1 which is not exactly helpful.
One disk is orange and has all the installation and updating software, including the maps, but excluding the transfer program. The other is blue and has only the transfer program. Both disks also have the same USB drivers.
(I have a C710, but I am pretty sure that the software is identical to the C510. Someone will be along soon to confirm.)
To completely remove the drivers, you will have to edit the registry. The uninstall program doesn't do the job properly.
I don't blame you not trusting the restore.

Sal

Edit: The PGPSW database is THE speedcams database.
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help as such for Blackpool_Lad, just wanted to say what a fantastic response he's getting, and in such a short time. Well done all the members!

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

As far as editing the registry goes - which to me is a bit of a last resort solution - don't you get an option to install the drivers from a specific location? eg, a CD or whatever?

Also, have you contacted Dabs for help?

From down the road in Preston...
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite right about the registry, a last resort. It shouldn't be necessary at all to dive into it. Unfortunately though when a Windows installation goes wrong it's often the only way to clean it up.
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
There should be two CD's. They are both labelled 1 of 1 which is not exactly helpful.
One disk is orange and has all the installation and updating software, including the maps, but excluding the transfer program. The other is blue and has only the transfer program. Both disks also have the same USB drivers.
(I have a C710, but I am pretty sure that the software is identical to the C510. Someone will be along soon to confirm.)
To completely remove the drivers, you will have to edit the registry. The uninstall program doesn't do the job properly.
I don't blame you not trusting the restore.

Sal

Edit: The PGPSW database is THE speedcams database.

i've only got one disc, and its white with green writing and kind of like leafs across the middle of it going left to right and a butterfly.

what would be a MAJOR help is if you or anyone else could post the usb driver you have on here as an attachment or email it me. it should only be tiny, prob less than 100k in size. or at the very least open your copy of the driver with notepad and copy and past the entire guts of it.
i've googled the hell out of it all last night and most of today. i just cant see anywhere to download the driver from.

as ive said all along, i feel that the software is fine, but i've got the wrong driver. Sad
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeS48 wrote:
No help as such for Blackpool_Lad, just wanted to say what a fantastic response he's getting, and in such a short time. Well done all the members!

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

As far as editing the registry goes - which to me is a bit of a last resort solution - don't you get an option to install the drivers from a specific location? eg, a CD or whatever?

Also, have you contacted Dabs for help?

From down the road in Preston...

cheers mike, i agree. i've been on forums where there's a post every few mins, and ive been on forums where there is 1 or 2 posts every few hours for the entire forum in all topics etc.

this one is right up there with the best of them and although i still dont have a definitive answer, i feel im a little bit closer.
when i do find out whats causing all this, you'll all be the 1st to know!.

the software, when i install it, just installs its self to a default location, and unlike all other software, doesnt give me an option of install location. it just bangs it into the program files folder.
i've tried manually assigning a driver for the device, but when i tell it to look at the actually driver thats on the CD it just says there's no relevant information there (see my original post i think for exact details). and sure enough when i look inside the driver, there's no mention what so ever of a c510 (again see above).

as for dads, well the item was listed as "reconditioned" and according to the website came with nothing except the unit and the box. so when it had a CD and all the other stuff mentioned in my 1st post i was really happy. so dabs might just say well u got more than we said anyway and not be too helpful.

i dont suppose u've owned one of these and sent it back to mio/dabs and live in the middle of preston?
only reason i ask is because as i said this is a recon unit, and the home address was in the middle of preston. Laughing Out Loud Laughing

sorry, i know my posts are always long but that reminds me, is there a way to do master or factory reset on the unit? is it just the little hole underneath next to the usb socket and headphones hole?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have
WCEUSBSH.INF size 58k
and
WCEUSBSH.SYS size 37k

both dated 27/04/06. I can email them to you but I suspect they are the same as yours. If you want them, send me a PM with your email address.

If the driver installation has been corrupted then it is is unlikely that just repeating the installation will mend it. To be sure of a clean install you will need to:
1. use Windows uninstall
2. search for these two files on your PC and delete them
3. use regedit to remove all references to Mio and Mitac

If you are worried about using regedit, try re-installing after step 2. If that doesn't work, you will need to repeat steps 1 and 2 before going on to 3.

Above all don't connect the unit to your PC again until you have satisfactorily installed the driver

Sal
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
I have
WCEUSBSH.INF size 58k
and
WCEUSBSH.SYS size 37k

both dated 27/04/06. I can email them to you but I suspect they are the same as yours. If you want them, send me a PM with your email address.

If the driver installation has been corrupted then it is is unlikely that just repeating the installation will mend it. To be sure of a clean install you will need to:
1. use Windows uninstall
2. search for these two files on your PC and delete them
3. use regedit to remove all references to Mio and Mitac

If you are worried about using regedit, try re-installing after step 2. If that doesn't work, you will need to repeat steps 1 and 2 before going on to 3.

Above all don't connect the unit to your PC again until you have satisfactorily installed the driver

Sal

that looks exactly like what im seeing, and the sizes are the same, so im guessing that they're exactly the same.

ive been going through control panel - add or remove programs to uninstall the software. is that what u mean when u said windows uninstaller?
i tried steps 1 and 2 in the various different ways but it was always the same result. "unknown device".

ive actually gone down the restore point road, bc as i said before, it was pretty a perfect point to restore back to, before i plugged the unit in.
this time i put the software on 1st and then plugged it in and exactly the same thing.

im really at a loss as to what is causing this now but im going to stick to my shafted/incorrect driver theory (even though we have kind of dispelled that). Laughing Out Loud

i might have to go down the emailing tech support at mio soon. Crying or Very sad Laughing Out Loud

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: