Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map upgrades?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map upgrades?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisn5004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: map upgrades? Reply with quote

i have a go300 with gb map v562.0 installed, how do i get it upgraded to the latest version? (ps im a bit thick Laughing Out Loud)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!
Not a thick question at all...

Unfortunately, there's no free way to update the map you have, all you can do is buy a new one. If you are quick, the latest map is available at a discount until Jan31st. Click on the "go to the shop" link on the page you get if you CLICK HERE to see what is available. (although, cheap maps usually means an even newer map is just around the corner... It's your choice whether or not to wait and pay full price).

Your existing map is quite old and a few things have changed since then, which means you will also need to update the software running on your Go to version 7 too (this will give you a new look and a few new features as well.

All of this (including actually buying the map) is done via TomTom's "Home" program for the PC. You can download that by clicking HERE

And there is a guide on how to download and install new maps HERE
It's quite long-winded, but if you can print it out and take it one step at a time, it's fairly straightforward.

Any more problems, just ask!

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of HOME do you have?

If you have HOME2 then with the 300 connected to the PC, and HOME running, just Click on Update My Device if it doesn't start automatically. It will tell you any software versions that are later than what is currently installed on the 300.

Also it should highlight the latest Map that is available for the Device, and give you the opportunity to buy, and download, it.

If you have HOME V1.5 then it should offer to download, and install, HOME2. You can then go through the steps above.

Please do a Full Backup with Explorer before making the changes above. Just in case something goes wrong. and you need to restore a working Backup.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

And there is a guide on how to download and install new maps HERE
It's quite long-winded, but if you can print it out and take it one step at a time, it's fairly straightforward.

Any more problems, just ask!

You know, until yesterday, I would swear that the only way to get a new map onto your unit and have your unit see the map was by having TTHome do the install.

But a user in a US forum says he simply removed the old map folder from his unit, created a new one called 'North America' and unzipped the contents of his zipped map in his download (on the pc) folder onto the unit, along with the necessary sub folders.

That method never worked for me or others. (Get the 'no maps found' error) and I have no clue how the activation file to lock the map to the unit would get created without the use of TTHome...but he says it worked for him!

Have you heard of that method working?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I think the activation code/ locking is now generated at some point AS YOU DOWNLOAD (that's why Home insists you have the Go connected to the PC while you're downloading).

Once the map is on your PC, it is just a standard .cab or .zip archive (can't remember which), which you can un-zip and copy all the files (including the "key" file) across in the "normal" Windows fashion.
chrisn5004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, i have home2 installed on pc and have upgraded to latest software version, i was hoping (stupidly) for a free upgraded map but as you say ill have to buy it, thanks again for the help and the warm welcome to the forum
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris.

I have just updated my 300 from its original map to the current UK & ROI map - there are a lot of changes since your map (although obviously it depends on which roads you drive). If you don't already have one you may need a larger than original SD card (can't remember how big the original one was, mine is in a drawer somewhere).

If you do go down the route of buying the map, then please be aware that TomTom don't include the latest postcodes with the download - there are a lot of posts about it. Log in and contact them about it and they will give you a link to the "latest" postcodes file.

Backup everything on your TomTom to your PC beforehand - use explorer - not from within TomTom Home.

When you are happy with your new map you can delete your old map folder from your TomTom to free up space.

There are other posts about copying over your settings to your new map.

DeeSee
chrisn5004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: thanks again Reply with quote

thanks for the postcode info deesee.... already have a 2gb card in so plenty of space (i hope) and thanks for the reminder to back up... nearly forgot !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: