Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - submitting updates to existing cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

submitting updates to existing cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: submitting updates to existing cameras Reply with quote

Just a thought, (after I had already sent many in) when updating such info as direction to get caught, or speed updates etc do you actually need the full co-ordinants or is just the camera ID enough info to locate it in the database?

Also if I click on the camra icon on the map and then click the update box are the resultant lon / lat figures correct for that camera or are they the figures for the map centre? If it is the latter then I have sent some udates with the incorrect positions, however the camera ID's are correct and the remaining info is also correct.

I do not seem to be able to get the map to re-centre after doing a double click as per the instruction number 3 on the map page, is this a mistake in the instruction or a fault on the program?

Is there a way that we could directly input these updates into our own databases without having to wait for them to be verified and updated on the main database which could save some time and perhaps more importantly, verify ourselves that the data is correct, and modify and inform you of any corrections required to the original post:?:

I may have missed it somewhere in the forum, but is there a breakdown of what each symbol on the maps relates to Question
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not seem to be able to get the map to re-centre after doing a double click as per the instruction number 3 on the map page, is this a mistake in the instruction or a fault on the program?

It does not re-centre if you double click on the camera icon, but if you zoom right in and double click on the edge of the camera icon it will re-centre.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It does not re-centre if you double click on the camera icon, but if you zoom right in and double click on the edge of the camera icon it will re-centre.

Thanks for that, it means then that all the cameras I updated this morning did have the incorrect lon/lat, hopefully they will realise this and be able to update just directional information from the camera ID.
[/quote]
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you made the changes via the online submission form you should have received a receipt for each submission. Check the co-ordinates in the receipt to see if they are indeed incorrect!!

Thank you for your submissions, keep them coming.
I will expect MaFt will correct them if needed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: submitting updates to existing cameras Reply with quote

specmaster wrote:
Just a thought, (after I had already sent many in) when updating such info as direction to get caught, or speed updates etc do you actually need the full co-ordinants or is just the camera ID enough info to locate it in the database?

As far as I know, if the camera ID is correct and you are only adding the heading it should be OK. A quick email to MaFt (the database co-ordinator), or just a list of the ID numbers here (if you can remember them) may help.

Quote:
Also if I click on the camra icon on the map and then click the update box are the resultant lon / lat figures correct for that camera or are they the figures for the map centre? If it is the latter then I have sent some udates with the incorrect positions, however the camera ID's are correct and the remaining info is also correct.

True, it doesn't seem to. The zoom on a double click only works if the cursor is the "open hand" not the "pointing finger".

To be honest, it shouldn't matter. For a change to an existing camera, it is probably best not to supply co-ordinates at all - just the ID number (unless, of course, you are giving a new location for it!).

Quote:
Is there a way that we could directly input these updates into our own databases without having to wait for them to be verified and updated on the main database which could save some time and perhaps more importantly, verify ourselves that the data is correct, and modify and inform you of any corrections required to the original post:?:

When I find an error or a new camera, I tend to mark it on my TomTom as a favourite as I pass it and then convert it to a POI in my "New cams" POI category.
If you do something similar, you can set up an alert for that category, or if you want you can just add a new POI entry in the relevant "pocketgps.." category, just like you'd add any other POI (Change preferences/Manage POIs / Add POI / choose category / then from Favourite or On map or whatever.

(Note that if you have a TomTom ONE "3rd Edition" you will need to add a custom menu to get the "Manage POIs" menu back. See the bottom of THIS POST for details.)

Quote:
I may have missed it somewhere in the forum, but is there a breakdown of what each symbol on the maps relates to?

It is on MaFt's "to do" list, but it should be fairly self explanatory. The symbols are the same as the icons on your sat nav screen aren't they? Plus there is "If a camera is shown in grey with a big red cross through it means that it is no longer in the database", and there's a baby's dummy icon for dummy or test cameras.
Your own submissions will show up as coloured squares until they are verified/confirmed.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have Sat Nav it is not an after market one and does not have anything at all relating to speed cameras etc, it is just a very good Sat Nav. This is why I have a Drive-smart unit to compliment it and because of all the extra information / features that it has over most over speed camera detectors I have come across. This is why I thought a key to the symbols is a good idea as not everyone has a all in one solution and if everyone fully understands the icons then the database should be that much better by reducing the false alerts due to better intelligence.

True it is a bit on the big side when compared to many today and the other big drawback is the poor execution of voice prompts implimented on it, apart from that it is very accomplished piece of equipment that just needs a few tweaks here and there to become a world beater (IMHO).

I'm very glad I stumbled across this forum, it is very helpful and friendly and with all the members updating the database, it should be better then many commercial ones.

[/quote]
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few points for info:

1) submitting just the id number is adequate (the database software will automatically get the camera coordinates) along with the info needed in the change request for changes

2) i'm currently working on a method to search by camera id and have the page fill in the current details on the submission form but this is taking some time. the verifiers / mods / team are already testing a version that provides SOME of this functionality.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what are you doing with the other hand? Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
But what are you doing with the other hand? Wink

feeding the baby ; Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: