Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice for another beginner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for another beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Advice for another beginner Reply with quote

I've got an IPAQ 5500. I'm considering the Emtac sleeve with Copilot Live software or the Navman sleeve, also with Copilot. Any thoughts about these combinations ?
I need to be able to be able to move the kit between cars- my own and hire cars. What's the best mounting system to use ? (The smaller the better since I'll often be carrying it as hand luggage in a laptop type bag).
I can go for a permanent mount in my own car, but not a vent clip.
What other kit will be useful, (leads etc) ?

Thanks and regards.
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just bought the Seidio G2500 for My Dell Axim kit and I'm well impressed even though it was a little bit pricey.

This will give you a powered speaker, connection on the cradle for the gps and 2 fixing mounts (A widsreen suction and vent clip) although I bought the optional extra dashboard mount (I already have an hands free kit screwed in for the mobile so an extra screw and a sticky pad isn't a problem).

You state you have a GPS sleeve, I'm still a newbie with these things myself but if this is what it sounds like you may not be able to use a G2500 as the g2500 is moulded to the shape of the individual PDA. If this is true then Seidio do a universal mount that holds the pda using 2 cushioned arms. Although this is little more fiddle has there has to be a patch lead from the mount to the PDA. With the G2500 when you slide in the PDA it connects to the mount directly.

Assuming you can use a g2500 you could say use a dashboard mount in your own car and take the windscreen mount for Hire cars as the cradle can slide straight of any of the mounts.

Well worth looking in to.
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed you state "Considering" the sleeve. I have now thought of a problem whichever way you decide. With a sleeve I don't think you will get a G2500 to fit. With a wired GPS you do get the option of plugging it straight into the cradle but this would make it less portable.

Do your Ipaq have a compact flash card slot. If so you can get a GPS card that slots into here. This is what I'm using and means it fits into the car fine but is also portable if you want to use it while on foot.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: