Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No sound alerts for cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No sound alerts for cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: No sound alerts for cameras Reply with quote

Have just installed new updated map on new sd card which was a nightmare but have managed to get there in the end,have now downloaded Jan speed cameras and maneged to put them on my Go 300 they are showing up on the demo route i try but i am not getting any sounds,have tried the advise i have read on hear about pressing yes instead of no when asked is this the sound you want but i am still not getting any sound alerts for the cameras have also tried downloading the sound files i found on hear the ogg files but that did not work. I have downloaded the speed cameras before and put them on with my old map (uk Ireland) and they worked no problem.What am i doing wrong.

Would appreciate any help with this problem
Brian Very Happy
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When setting up the warnings, could you step through what you are doing and seeing and we'll see what we are doing different to you.
Brodit ProClip mount
cornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi have managed to get them going i spotted a folder called sounds so i put the sound files in there also left them in the map and it seems to work ok not sure if its by putting the files in the sounds folders that made it work or not dont really want to delete the sound files in the map incase i end up mucking it up again
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know it's working whichever way you managed it. Very Happy As long as space is not an issue, I'd leave things as they are as there are a couple of ways to get it working and you could be using either.

Should have said... Welcome
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you've done is fine.

The "established" method involves using sound files (in .ogg format) that have to be named exactly the same as the POI data files. The system should automatically pick up and use the files, but as TomTom never intended us to do things in this way, the method is pretty weird and unfriendly to use.

Since v7 software, you can now put ANY sound files in .ogg or .wav format in that "sounds" folder (even in sub-folders) and they will appear on the normal sound effects page for selection in the "normal" TomTom way.

This would be a generally better method for the PGPSW camera alerts except for two small things:
1. It won't work for people still on v6 or below, and
2. unless and until PGPSW change the naming convention of their camera datafiles, the pre-named ogg soundfiles are hard to pick on the sound effects page because it only shows the first part of the name so they all look the same.

I'm hoping that eventually they will turn the names round so that the "Gatso30" part is at the beginning (followed by the "Pocket_GPS" stuff). Then I will re-do all the naming of sets on the ogg files collections page if they want, so the same files can be used easily in both methods..
cornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, Yes that was a pain Sad but i found that they where in order as i was putting sounds to cameras i found that the next one was always the next one next to the hi lighted one if that made sense,just hope i remember all this the next time there is a map update Ha Ha Laughing Laughing
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornwall wrote:
just hope i remember all this the next time there is a map update Ha Ha Laughing Laughing

Usually when you copy the .ogg files into the maps folder and set it up that way you do not need to set them up at every update, a simple copy and paste of the update and settings are still the same. With any luck this will be the same for you also cornwall doing it in the sounds folder.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: