Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating I3 to a newer Garmin.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating I3 to a newer Garmin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Updating I3 to a newer Garmin. Reply with quote

I have had an I3 since about the time they first came out, and to be honest am very happy with it.

I only ever turn it on closer to destinations when I need some assistance or know I am going through average speed cameras and need its more accurate speed indicator.

But - with Satnavs being so cheap now, I was thinking of updating to a newer and bigger screen Garmin unit.

My question is, what is reusable from the i3 on the newer units.

Can I use the same poi's files I downlaod onto my PC?
Can I use the i3 on what ever uploader software the newer units have (backwards compatability issue)?

If someone has been here before, I would be grateful of your insight.

Thanks!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poi loader is compatible with all garmin units (except some really old ones) and they all use the same format for pois

i.e. all your poi's you have downloaded can be put on a new unit using exactly the same software.

if you're happy with the features of the i3 then i'd suggest a nuvi 200 or nuvi 250 / 250w.

these are basically an i3 but with a bigger and touch screen - i.e. no bluetooth handsfree, no mp3 player just a navigator, custom pois (and speed cams), photo viewer and sd-card slot (as opposed to transflash but you can get an adaptor for the transflash card to fit the sd slot). the 20 is uk only, the 250 is europe and the 20 w is the widescreen 250.

we'll soon be selling our trusty i3 (probably get about £60 for it tops!) to replace it with a pink nuvi 200 for the mrs. her new car windscreen renders the i3 a bit useless now!!

MaFt
nsb2k1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a Nuvi 200 having had an I3 for about 2 years now. Just getting used to it but all my POIs load fine. It's just as usable as the I3. Didn't want to ditch it but it was dropping to bits!! Got mine in Halfords yesterday for £119.99 and it came with a free leather case,(and was 10 quid cheaper than a T**T** Laughing ). Lovin it already.

(MaFt: thanks for keeping the website going through the computer issues, I haven't been about to download to my I3 since breaking the USB, but was straight back to your site last night!)

Neil
fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reposted my question in the Nuvi forum as it may get a better response here

(posted here originally, as I came from a search)

Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: