Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Copying onto new SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Copying onto new SD card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Copying onto new SD card Reply with quote

I have TomTom One v2 Europe, which almost completely fills the supplied 1 GB card. To allow a little more headroom, and to allow some spare space for POIs, I bought a new 2 GB card. I made a copy of the contents of the original card (making sure that I had selected Show hidden files and folders). I then pasted this to the new SD card, having first formatted the card. Putting this into TomTom one, it started up OK (with the drum beat, followed by the Legal Notice giving the conditions, to which you have to click I agree) but then I got a screen saying No maps found. Looking at the contents of the card, the Western Europe folder is there, apparently with all the same files as the original. Replacing the original TomTom card it works fine.
Any ideas?
Ro bin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
_Brian_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the speed of your new SD card. I had a problem when I copied files to a new SD. When I started up the GPS Unit (Go 710), it hung for a while and then the screen went blank. I repeated to procedure using a fast card (150x) and it worked fine.

Just a thought
Brian
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The label says Hi Speed and the web site of the firm from which I bought it says 133x
Robin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you reformat it? They come ready to go.
I suspect that has something to do with it, as although it shouldn't make any difference, it has cropped up as an issue in the forums more than once before. Can only suggest you now try reformatting again in a different way.
Doing it in a digital camera has been mentioned in the past as having worked.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now even more puzzled. I deleted everything from the card and started again, but this time, instead of copying from the present contents of my 1GB card, I copied the files from the original backup which I did when I bought TomTom One last September (using TomTom Home). This time the device worked from the 2 GB card, and I tested it out navigating a couple of short journeys.
I didn't have the PGPSW safety cameras on that backup, so I attempted to load the database into the Western Europe map folder, using the speed zoned version. Some of the files loaded, but some would not, throwing up either , for example, "Cannot copy UK Gatso 30: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" or, in another case, "Cannot copy uk mobile 50. The parameter is incorrect". One or other of these error messages came up for about half a dozen of the 24 files, but others copied correctly into the map folder.
I tried with an older version of the database, with the same result.
Finally I tried a different database, which was not speed zoned, but again I could not load it.
In each case, the method used was identical to the way I always do it with the original TomTom card, ie unzip the ov2 and bmp files and copy directly into the relevant map folder.
So although I now have a working version of TomTom on the 2GB card, I can't run the safety camera warnings, which effectively rules it out!
Can anyone who knows a lot more about these things than me offer any suggestions?
Robin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin, the only time I have seen this behaviour (once) I deleted the existing ov2 and bmp files from the map folder, downloaded and extracted the files from the download before copying the files to the map folder and it worked (corupt download file that me head scratching for a while).
It could be the card has a duff memory location, but difficult to say.
Have you tried removing the cameras and installing some other POI files? do you get the same result. Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike, I had the same message when I tried to load an old POI file of Caravan Club sites.
The PGPSW database was not corrupt, because I have just successfully loaded it onto my original TomTom 1GB SD card, updating the December database which was originally there.
It's very strange, since TomTom seems to work perfectly well from the 2GB card, with instructions coming up in good time. It's just that I can't load the database into the map folder.
Robin
_Brian_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin,

Another thought. Are you using TomTom HOME? I made a back-up SD card today by backing up my current files from my Go 710 to my laptop using Home. I then did a restore (using Home) to the new SD card (2GB 150x) via a card reader. During the restore process, I was asked what device the "volume" SD card was (with a selection of all the TomTom devices). I selected Go 710 and let it make the copy. I plugged it inito the 710 and it worked fine.

Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of situation does seem to crop up occasionally on the forums. People who know what they are doing with copying/pasting, just cannot seem to get a particular card to work. When they do exactly the same thing with a different card, it all works first time!

Afraid it's your decision, how much effort you want to put in, trying to get it working on this card. Might be quicker in the long run to risk the expense of starting again with a new one.
I can vouch for SanDisk cards. Have always worked for me, (without formatting!)

when you "started again" did you re-format again? If so, how?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am posting this in case it is of help to others who may want to use a larger card than the one supplied by TomTom. As described earlier, I first tried making a copy of my original card, then pasting this onto the new card. It didn't work, and however I tried to do it, I wasn't able to add the PGPSW safety camera database to the map folder.
How I eventually sorted it was simple. With the original 1GB card, I used TomTom Home to make a backup. Then I replaced the 1GB card with my new 2GB card and, still using TomTom Home, restored to the most recent stored backup, ignoring warnings that it appeared to be a different device. The whole process took much longer than using my card reader, BUT IT WORKED! I now have a fully functional version of TomTom, complete with all my POIs, working from the new 2GB card.
Other people have had success by copying and pasting using a card reader, but it wouldn't work for me. But the much maligned TomTom Home came up trumps
Robin
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside
Can you help me --- what is the largest card you can use in Tom-Tom GO-- I have the Classic and at the moment it is working fine with a 2GB card..

I want to download the latest maps but I have been told via Tom-Tom Home -- that there is not enough space and I should delete some stuff... which I am loath to do..

So I thought that I might get a larger card -- say a 4Gb -- do these work in TT Classic??

What special type of card would be required?

Maurice
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted - second version below!!

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the week for year-old topics resurfacing!
Better to start again, or preferably look at one of the many other topics where this has been asked.

For all TTs other than the 520/720/920, you can only use standard SD cards.
The 520/720/920 can use SDHC cards.

Normal cards usually go up to 2GB but there are a few NON-sdhc cards that are 4GB (most ARE SDHC).

I'm not allowed to suggest you do a forum search for "SDHC" to find the brand names (it would break my New Year's resolution! Wink )
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

I'm not allowed to suggest you do a forum search for "SDHC" to find the brand names (it would break my New Year's resolution! Wink )

What year? Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat!! How did that "first draft" edit get posted? Embarassed Supreme Angel

Off to edit it... no one need ever know.... Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: