Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Minimum spec PDA to run any satnav ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum spec PDA to run any satnav ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aneng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Minimum spec PDA to run any satnav ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used PDA that will run a satnav package (anything will do, as long as it takes postcodes). I want to spend as little as possible on it (the PDA), and plan on getting some old thing off eBay.

However, not knowing anything about PDA specs, I don't know what is capable of running a satnav app and what isn't. I have a USB GPS receiver that I plug into my laptop on the passenger seat and use iGuidance at the moment, but it's not a very satisfactory arrangement, hence my need to get a PDA.

Will I need a PDA with a built-in GPS receiver, or do they have standard USB sockets that I could plug my existing one into ?

What satnav software can run on low-spec PDAs ?

Many thanks !

Aneng.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aneng,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

I run an HP 2210 iPAQ (WM2003) with a 1GB CF card, a Bluetooth GlobalSat BT-338 GPS receiver, which quite happily runs TomTom Navigator 6 - the current latest software that TomTOm have released for the PDA.

However, do you really need a PDA?

Why not buy a cheap PND (Personal Navigation Device) either new or used? The TomTom ONE is a cracking little SatNav that does a good job, it can also run our camera database!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
aneng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome, and the info. I would like a PDA as I've only recently discovered them, and now seem unable to organise my life without it Smile I've been given an old Palm m105 and although it can't do sat nav or anything like it, it's great for organising my life.
I then started thinking that I could do with a PDA that could do more (and has a colour screen and is rechargeable). I then thought, 'well, I may as well get one that can do sat nav'. ...and here I am !

So, could I run sat nav on something lower (i.e. cheaper !) than an iPaq 2210 ?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your USB GPS won't work - the PDA's are only USB slaves, so you will need a build in GPS or a seperate GPS reciever. There were CF based GPS, navman did a sleeve for the iPaq, or Bluetooth. I would go build in or Bluetooth, anything else is getting a bit old tech now. Going Bluetooth means a more expensive PDA, so you are likely to go build it, also any built in device is good enough to run the software.

The main limit is memory, if it has enough and the processor is a bit slow, it wil still work. If it does not have enough memory, it won't work.

Look for a Mitac 168 or Navman Pin - these were not particularly pricey to start with and were the first avalible PDA/GPS combinations I know of. The big real cost will be upto date mapping software, so make sure you have the full package in mind before going ahead.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend the Mio168, they will run latest ttn6 and most others, and can play videos,mp3s, word,spreadsheets and contacts for routing to, and many other programs, i have been using mine over 2yrs without problems and I would be lost trying to update it with anything else, it is also upgradeable to 2003se to give screen rotate in the OS, very versatile, before any comments i dont need phone relationship.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: