Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best navigation software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best navigation software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rentalman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Best navigation software Reply with quote

Hi can any one help

I recently purchased a china single din DVD/GPS etc etc with 7" tft screen and it has nav n go igo8 2008 version 8.0.044898 june 2008 on it

i need assistance on the following, what are the alternatives available as i used to be a tom tom supporter and can not find one , also is this the best and if not which one do you recommend as i need decent graphics, speed camera and loads of POI maybe thats why i liked tom tom, also need to change voice as well as direction icon likre on the tom tom

cab you please suggest alternatives, or soloutions for my igo 8 for poi and voice changes as well as more maps

thanks for all your time and assistance

regards

rentalman
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with TomTom Navigator 7 for your China made double DIN nav/ radio as it doesn't work very well, you end up with no nav voice as the unit has inadequate memory to support the application.

Mine came pre-loaded with Route 66 but these days I have Sygic loaded to it which works very well and you can put third party POI files on as well as configure it for warnings as you approach a POI category - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a recent starter on Sygic and already using TTn7 I must agree,
for a TomTom supporter Sygic is an ideal alternative the display and controls are almost the same but with the benefit of more up to date maps bearing in mind that tt is not supported for most third party units, a major benefit if only using GB is the cost of it as a download drect from Sygic i.e. about 19 euros not sure if further discount is still available, so its peanuts,
Also agree with Mike about sounds, POIs and distances just as easy a TomTom but have to convert ov2 files but these can be batch converted in couple of minutes so you could possibly use all your old tt poi files if required.
rentalman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Best In Car stereo based sat nav Reply with quote

Thanks all for the posts and thaks for the advice, my unit ios a single din with motorised tft 7" screen, what other alterenatives are there in connection with sat nav software that is SD card based and can run on my china unit with the dedicated gps sd card reader

Thanks again all for viewing AND assistance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic, I-Go are about the only two that will work correctly with up to date maps.
TomTom Navigator 6 and Route 66 version 7 will both work but the maps are way out of date, the newer versions of both TomTom and Route 66 will not work correctly with the device.
One other possible contender is the Garmin software intended for use with their failed "Nuvi Phone" as that can be supplied on SD card but I have never tried it on my deck - Mike
rentalman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: SD Installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply

i asking as used to be a bit teckky but anyway the past should not be dwell on

What i want is to now is that if i go for any of the ones recommended, what compatibility version will i be looking for as my excellent bargain, fantasticish car head unit is unbranded as they say as china 1 din import. as you may see my dilema, do i just look for win CE 5.0 compatible or is it classed as a pnd or pda file format

Thanks again all

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find any software claiming Win CE 5.0 compliant, best bet is go for the software for the PDA devices as they use an OS which is the closest match - Mike
rentalman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Compliance Reply with quote

Thanks again for the assistance

what PDA format or are they all the same, sounds silly but thoughts gps sofftware was compliant with different types of pda's not all

sorry if sounds silly question (Dummies Guide)

Thnaks again Rolling Eyes
rentalman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

Any recommendations or not allowed to product place Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already said whats installed to my unit earlier in the thread and works very well, there isn't too much PDA based software around these days as most companies have switched over to supporting the SmartPhone/ iPhone hardware, neither of which offer you a solution.

Look at Sygic for the PDA and see what you think, its easy to get used to and very similar in terms of menu and capability to the TomTom software you have been used to using - Mike
rentalman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Many Thanks Reply with quote

THanks for your assistance

always Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: