Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - X980T New Edition?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

X980T New Edition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: X980T New Edition? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the X980T "New Edition" is different in any way from the old X980T or is it labelled as new due to the new software update?
Some websites don't have the "New" designation so wondered if I needed to be careful of this for any reason?

Also wondered if the traffic function gave you an indication of the delay in minutes in a similar way to TomTom plus traffic?

Gary
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the 'New edition' refers to the fact that it comes with V7 Software.

I cant remember if TMC gives an estimate of the delay as i've only heard it in anger once. BTW TMC reception is very variable .
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Still undecided about what to get. I'm moving from TT6 on my ipaq to a PND.
Keen to get good traffic info but TMC sounds unreliable. Plus traffic through GPRS worked OK apart from the poor quality of the traffic info.
I have always been impressed by my trafficmaster freeway for accuracy so thought maybe a traffic master service would be better than ITIS but I guess that would rule out the VM.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a Garmin with TM info and now the VM with ITIS info I can confirm that the TM info tends to be more accurate though the ITIS info can be more comprehensive. However it seems to be the TMC reception that is the major problem and which is equally bad which is why I also rely on my TM Freeway for the most up to date warnings
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful feedback on the traffic. Thanks.
Like you I rely on the freeway for shorter term (Tactical) traffic warnings but I like to use the satnav for longer term (Strategic) planning Laughing
So going from Folkestone to Manchester should I use the M40, M1 or A1 etc....

Been looking at the new Navigon PNA's as well as the VM. Hard to find any decent UK info/reviews on these though.

On the plus side for the 980 I like what seems to be solid commitment behind the product from VM. Seems to be refreshing as most of the other companies seem to have dubious support. You get the feeling they will keep plugging away improving and fixing what they have.

If I wanted traffic master info I guess that would limit it to Navigon or Garmin?
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's difficult to get accurate info on the longer distance traffic problems at any time.

As far as VM are concerned I have previously had 2 Garmins, 1 Mio and now an X 970T. They all have good and bad points - see my latest thread on here - X970T - Good, Bad and Ugly but I will stick with the VM, it feels more robust and whilst not immediately intuitive it does most things quite well. I also like the Michelin guides, very useful if you use the unit for touring/leisure purposes.

I seem to be having fewer problems than those people with the X 980T since I certainly don't experience some their issues - it depends upon whether you really need the 'text-to-speech' option and a larger screen. I find the little 'PacMan' junction guides more than adequate to give me the correct turning.

There is quite a good selection tool on VM's own site to determine which of their units meets your specific needs.
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: X980T New Edition? Reply with quote

gmoorc wrote:

Also wondered if the traffic function gave you an indication of the delay in minutes in a similar way to TomTom plus traffic?

Gary

For the record, ViaMichelin system doesn't give the delay nor does it update your journey time based on the traffic information - which can be quite frustrating at times. I was told by Stuart (ViaMichelin) that it will only send you on an alternative route if the traffic speed is less than 10 mph - in my experience the announced delays are rarely less than 20 mph even if the reality is quite alot slower.
Cartography Edition 2007

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: