Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 770 - MPH & Exporting Favourites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 770 - MPH & Exporting Favourites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Nuvi 770 - MPH & Exporting Favourites Reply with quote

Just acquired a Garmin Nuvi 770 today, hopefully it will replace my Navman 550.

First impressions are very good, the voice road names are new to me and seem a definite step-up from the 550's simple turn-by-turn directions. Having been used to these for several years, it seems nothing has been lost direction/timing-wise so no worries here so far.

Calculation time seems much quicker, on complex routes the Navman used to take ages and sometimes required a stop to prevent a "deadly-embrace" route-recalculation syndrome, again all's ok so far.

Hopefully the Navman's "incorrect island exit number" syndrome will also now be a thing of the past.

The safety-camera database seems very impressive, rivaling my old Origin B2 in every way.

One observation is that the garmin does not appear to be able to show "speed" within the main route map and requires an icon press to reveal your current speed. This is a real disaster in my part of the world where they're clocking you for doing 33MPH!. Unless there is a way to set it up to show speed + map, I feel a secondary GPS speedo will be required.

Having written a backup utility for the Navman favourites I was rather hoping that it would be easy to re-import data en-mass. Easygps looks very good, but what would be very nice ia say Contacts + Lat/Long , a kind of cross-platform utility, anything to avoid typing favourites iall over again, does anyone know of any other good utilities?

Incidentally I've also had a garmin Forerunner 301 for about 2 years, its still a fantastic device and a definitive must-have for runners and the like!!

Anyone else out there with a 770?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Display of speed isn't an issue - your car speedo should be accurate enough Laughing Anyway driving whilst continually looking at the satnav will get you into bigger problems than speeding.

If you think the GARMIN speed cameras are good - try the ones from this site. Cheaper than the GARMIN and much more comprehensive / accurate. All you loose is the directional feature - not really a problem though.
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Display of speed isn't an issue - your car speedo should be accurate enough Laughing Anyway driving whilst continually looking at the satnav will get you into bigger problems than speeding.

If you think the GARMIN speed cameras are good - try the ones from this site. Cheaper than the GARMIN and much more comprehensive / accurate. All you loose is the directional feature - not really a problem though.

Thanks for your comments Smile

Actually what is the difference between looking at a GPS speedo or an inbuilt car speedo, surely its the same is it not?

Re accuracy, most car speedo's tend to under read, by as much as 10%, mine certainly does.

Anyway both the above subjects are open to much debate.

Yes the speed camera database on this site is excellent, and I have used it, however the way it's handled and displayed depends on the particular GPS unit, the 550 warns you way too late and its difficult to read.

My Origin-B2 had a very informative voice and display system but I feel the Garmin is very close and is certainly seems very accurate. I do admit that I like the directional feature and the over-speed warnings, etc. It would be good though if this site's database could be added too, the best of both worlds!!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckrogers wrote:
philpugh wrote:

Thanks for your comments Smile

Actually what is the difference between looking at a GPS speedo or an inbuilt car speedo, surely its the same is it not?

Re accuracy, most car speedo's tend to under read, by as much as 10%, mine certainly does.

Anyway both the above subjects are open to much debate.

The main difference is the ability of a quick glance of an analogue based meter (car speedo) is all that is required - your brain will then 'tell' you what you need to know. You are only interested in is it above or below the line. Looking at a digital display takes a bit more processing time by the brain. I guess this is down to the fact that we have grown up with analogue displays. Note that the vast majority of watches sold today have analogue displays. Digital (display) watches never seemed to take off. My everyday watch is one that is synchronised to the MSF time signals. It's very accurate - but it has an analogue display.

Car speedos are supposed to read over speed - they are prevented by law from reading under-speed.

GPS derived speeds may be more accurate but are not definitive unless your car is following the curve of the WGS84 geodetic plane. In most cases this equates to 'straight and level'. Turning corners, going up or down hills will give 'false' speed readings which will be below the 'true' speed, which I guess makes them "illegal" for use as a car speedo. But we are talking very small errors here.
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
The main difference is the ability of a quick glance of an analogue based meter (car speedo) is all that is required - your brain will then 'tell' you what you need to know. You are only interested in is it above or below the line. Looking at a digital display takes a bit more processing time by the brain. I guess this is down to the fact that we have grown up with analogue displays. Note that the vast majority of watches sold today have analogue displays. Digital (display) watches never seemed to take off. My everyday watch is one that is synchronised to the MSF time signals. It's very accurate - but it has an analogue display.

Car speedos are supposed to read over speed - they are prevented by law from reading under-speed.

GPS derived speeds may be more accurate but are not definitive unless your car is following the curve of the WGS84 geodetic plane. In most cases this equates to 'straight and level'. Turning corners, going up or down hills will give 'false' speed readings which will be below the 'true' speed, which I guess makes them "illegal" for use as a car speedo. But we are talking very small errors here.

The analogue/digital display argument has been running for at least 22 years and is one of those subjective debates that will probably run forever. Interestingly, the Citroen Picasso is fitted with a digital only speedo so it’s designers perhaps fall into the digital camp, however its fair to assume that the Citroen complies with the relevant regulations.

Seems we are opposites, my watch is a Casio Sea-Pathfinder, solar powered, radio calibrating, but most of all DIGITAL. Digital watches do not seem to be considered “timepieces” or known for their status, I have never seen anyone wearing a digital Rolex for example, if one exists. History, personal preference and status play a big part in the analogue watch culture I suspect, but for outdoor pursuits, such as diving, running, sailing and navigation perhaps digital has the edge.

“car speedos are supposed to read over speed” implies that this is desirable or the requirement. Manufacturing tolerance, accuracy, repeatability and the ability to measure and validate these will have been used to determining the manufacturing specs. 75/443/EEC indicates that “true speed” is an acceptable accuracy, albeit risky to implement.

Geodetic planes, turning corners etc may be true to a degree, but there are some interesting studies/ comments on GPS and its 3D coordinate accuracy, so not entirely convinced enough to preclude its use to indicate speed accurately, or “more” accurately. It may well be illegal to fit a GPS device as “the” speedometer (at the moment) but such devices offer many advantages over the out-dated speedo.

So will looking at GPS speedos get you into trouble, are in-built speedos accurate enough, is analogue the best? - Perhaps someone else might like to comment?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had my first experiance of the garmin database yesterday... not impressed at all!! the 'directional' function seemed to be lacking somewhat and 2 cameras we have in our database with very old id numbers (around 5000 iirc) were not in it - they've been around for ages yet they don't appear in the database... they were truvelo's though and the gatso's further up the road were in the db... wonder if cyclops/garmin don't do truv's?!

MaFt
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with the digital speedo display is just a things we do neet to getting used to it. I drive a Renault Scenic II which has a digital speedo and have no problems getting a quick readout.
I think I'm as fast reading the speed of my Quest 2 as well. I even used my Quest 2 most of the time while on the road with a rented car which had an analog speedo.

BeatO

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: