Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do average speed cameras work at night?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do average speed cameras work at night?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Do average speed cameras work at night? Reply with quote

Night time, I cannot see any numberplates because the headlights dazzle. How do SPECs cameras work in that situation?

Alan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good question, I'd always just assumed that they did but a similar question on the drivers website Pepipoo recently revealed some interesting facts.

Apparently SPECS struggle at night and need additional illumination if there are no lights already in place. So you may see a temporary floodlight at the end of a zone to allow the camera to see the plate effectively.
jc50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why the Specs cameras on the M4 South Wales Newport area have a seperate floodlight illumination !
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the cameras had IR capability and that there were a pair of IR emitters next to each camera.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaggieBoy wrote:
I was under the impression that the cameras had IR capability and that there were a pair of IR emitters next to each camera.

Indeed they do but I have it on very good authority that they need additional help on unlit stretches to supplement the iR illuminators.
Governor312
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every night on my way back from Thatcham, i run through the M25 cameras Jct 19 - 16 about 0130am on the speed limiter 56mph and no problems, been doing this every night since roadworks started, although i assume they will be set for 60mph Question Question , maybe wrong, but one of our drivers got a ticket for the other set at jct 26, 40mph zone for going through at 50mph
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
BaggieBoy wrote:

Indeed they do but I have it on very good authority that they need additional help on unlit stretches to supplement the iR illuminators.

The Specs camers rely on IR illumination but at certian sites do require addition assistance. e.g. if IR lights need to be offset or can only be fixed high. Although there are always exceptions.

I,ve been involved in testing ANPR and to get a good quality read IR illumination is used even in good daylight conditions unless the read distance is < 5m. i.e car park entrances.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
PSKrieger
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks.

With regards to the SPECS cameras, I've just got another little enquiry. I have to go to and from my girlfriend's house in Sheffield and presently there are SPECS cameras on the M1 between J35 and J35A. As it has already been pointed out, some of the locations are lit by VERY powerful floodlamps whilst others aren't. I've also noticed that some of the yellow SPECS columns are lit whilst others aren't - very odd.

Anyway my question relates to the number of cameras on the gantry. My initial understanding was that SPECS required one camera per lane, which is why you'd normally see 3 cameras on a motorway SPECS gantry. However many of the gantrys in these roadworks only have 2 and they appear to be VERY badly positioned (they don't appear to be looking directly at the lanes and if you used the hard-shoulder lane it's hard to believe the cameras could see you at all).

Do you reckon these are likely to be duds?
jc50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely that the unlit areas are at dummy cameras and the lit area cameras are real and working.
But dont rely on that interpretation !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: