Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Home 2.1 - is this very slow or is it me?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Home 2.1 - is this very slow or is it me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Home 2.1 - is this very slow or is it me? Reply with quote

Recently I used Tom Tom Home 2.1 to do a backuo of my GO 700 - it took it nearly an hour!

I have now used it for loading down the latest maps for the 700 and this time it took 2 hours 15 minutes just to download (I would have expected about 3 minutes for a normal download) and then another 20 minutes to install.

Is it me or is TomTom Home very s l o w.

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The download times are related to the heavy load on TomTom's servers while their reduced price offer is current. You don't have any alternative to using Home for this, because this is the new security method that TomTom use to defeat hackers. However, it is best if you download in the wee small hours - I did this and got a Western Europe map in about an hour right at the time when demand was greatest and people were reporting abortive/very lengthy downloads on this forum.
However, for backup you do have an alternative. Just use a card reader to copy the contents of your SD card to your PC (making sure that you have set Windows Explorer to Show hidden files and folders). This should only take 2 or 3 minutes. If ever you need the backup, format the SD card (some people say it runs faster if you choose FAT32, but I haven't proved this for myself) and copy your backed up files to the card, again using a card reader.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Home 2.1 - is this very slow or is it me? Reply with quote

furryfred wrote:
Recently I used Tom Tom Home 2.1 to do a backuo of my GO 700 - it took it nearly an hour!
Presumably you have the Western Europe Map. The 700 is a USB1.1 device which is not noted for being fast. Sad

I would, however, recommend an Explorer Backup, in preference to HOME.

furryfred wrote:
I have now used it for loading down the latest maps for the 700 and this time it took 2 hours 15 minutes just to download (I would have expected about 3 minutes for a normal download) and then another 20 minutes to install.
The time for downloading is dependent on your Broadband Speed and the ability of the Remote Server to cope with demand. Also any bottlenecks between the two.

Installing can take as long as a Backup.

Robin2 wrote:
However, for backup you do have an alternative. Just use a card reader to copy the contents of your SD card to your PC (making sure that you have set Windows Explorer to Show hidden files and folders).
Unfortunately the 700 doesn't use an SD Card. It was the first TT to use a Hard Drive.

Incidentally, the myth of Hidden Files is not true. TT applications don't use them on the PNDs. But show extensions is a good idea.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Home 2.1 - is this very slow or is it me? Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

Robin2 wrote:
However, for backup you do have an alternative. Just use a card reader to copy the contents of your SD card to your PC (making sure that you have set Windows Explorer to Show hidden files and folders).
Unfortunately the 700 doesn't use an SD Card. It was the first TT to use a Hard Drive.

But just to emphasise, that doesn't stop you doing Explorer backups. DON'T use Home, there are just too many reports of failures.

Quote:
Incidentally, the myth of Hidden Files is not true. TT applications don't use them on the PNDs. But show extensions is a good idea.

I suspect I might have been one of the originators of the "myth"...
I can remember in the early days, whenever I said that you should alter the behaviour of Windows Explorer to show the three-letter file extensions, I used to mention that at the same time it was worth un-hiding the hidden files and folders (which is done on the same settings page).
I meant JUST FOR NORMAL COMPUTING PURPOSES, not specifically for the TomTom, but it seems to have become part of the folklore!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Home 2.1 - is this very slow or is it me? Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
History in the making, witness it in your own lifetime!

I don't care what TomTom thinks, I still have it set to show all files, folders and extensions. Believe me, I'm a TT support person (sorry, bad joke!). Maybe I should amend that to Believe me I'm a BT Broadband support person? No? Oh well. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Home 2.1 - is this very slow or is it me? Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I think it was a left over from the days of TT on the PDA, which being a Windows platform (sort of), could make use of hidden files.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: