Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - F20 N20. What's the difference??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

F20 N20. What's the difference??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: F20 N20. What's the difference?? Reply with quote

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the N20 and F20? Which is the later model? If you had to have one of the two which would it be and why?

TIA
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One is based on the iCN6xx/iCN5xx software, using the proprietry OS, the other is based on the new software (Complete rewrite from what I have read) and runs windows CE.

Both are unlikely to get further updates.
Both were released about the same time
They probably use the same maps.

Over all, there is little real difference between them, do you want the old software with the old features and bugs, or the new software with the new features and bugs.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F20 was a replacement for iCN330 -- simple device with reduced set of features but very simple to use, great for first-time users. N20 was a replacement for iCN530 -- more features, it's basically the same as N40i except it doesn't have a camera (but it can still use NavPix for navigation if you download them). Also, N20 comes with full desktop so you can easily add Custom POIs, for F20 you have to buy separately a connectivity kit that enables you to add Custom POIs .

There are two things that F20 does better than N20 though -- to save your current location as Custom POI (e.g. new speed camera you just spotted) all you have to do is tap screen and select that option; also F20 software has some minimal integration with Bluetooth cradle which N20 lacks. I also think that F20 has better screen and sound but not 100% sure.
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
One is based on the iCN6xx/iCN5xx software, using the proprietry OS, the other is based on the new software (Complete rewrite from what I have read) and runs windows CE.

Both are unlikely to get further updates.
Both were released about the same time
They probably use the same maps.

Over all, there is little real difference between them, do you want the old software with the old features and bugs, or the new software with the new features and bugs.

Well by the remarks about unfixed bugs you are clearly a seasoned Navman user Laughing

But which has the later OS?

Would they both have newer maps than my 530 with smartst2005?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AirCooledHeaven wrote:
But which has the later OS?

If you're asking about navigation software, they both have the same navigation engine but different UIs built on top of them. Regarding device OSes, they are completely different and cannot really be compared -- F20 has Navman's own OS while N20 has WinCE.

AirCooledHeaven wrote:
Would they both have newer maps than my 530 with smartst2005?

They use the same map data.
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] They use the same map data.[/quote]

So if I understand correctly, the N20 despite being a later device will still have the same V4.00 map data as my 530? Just that I'd like updated map data for my 530 (£99) but the N20 is now selling for £110. So if the N20 had newer maps the choice would be a 'no brainer'.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AirCooledHeaven wrote:
So if I understand correctly, the N20 despite being a later device will still have the same V4.00 map data as my 530?

Eh? No. F20 and N20 come with the same map data. iCN530 is older device and comes with the same maps as iCN720/iCN750.
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
AirCooledHeaven wrote:
So if I understand correctly, the N20 despite being a later device will still have the same V4.00 map data as my 530?

Eh? No. F20 and N20 come with the same map data. iCN530 is older device and comes with the same maps as iCN720/iCN750.

Sorry I misunderstood, now I get it.

In that case I'll get new N20, £109 at maplin AND they're bundling the t1 traffic module.

Thanks for the input
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AirCooledHeaven wrote:
Sorry I misunderstood, now I get it.

I just re-read my first post -- it is confusing, sorry.

AirCooledHeaven wrote:
In that case I'll get new N20, £109 at maplin AND they're bundling the t1 traffic module.

If you previously had iCN530 than N20 is better choice than F20. Traffic module is definitely a great investment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: