Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dumb Noob POI question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumb Noob POI question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Dumb Noob POI question Reply with quote

Sorry for the question, but is there a guide on how to d/l and install POI's anywhere? So many things I am unsure about for instance, on the d/l page does 'Other(CSV)' mean all gps except TT?
Where do I get POIloader etc? File formats and so on
I have a garmin 660FM
Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin units use POILoader which you download from Garmin website.

When downloading from here go for the Other (CSV)

POILoader - Click here

Make a folder on your PC called POI, put all you POIs in this folder (unzip them first). Connect your Nuvi and run POILoader, when asked where you POIs are browse to the folder with the POIs in. It'll then upload the lot to your Nuvi.

Note 1 - If you have a lot of POIs it can take a while to upload them

Note 2 - If you change one POI you must upload them ALL again as it wipes out all POIs before installing the new ones.

Any problems - shout.
Reap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul, that made it very easy I have them installed and working already.
Am I to take it if I want to add more POI's I just put them in the POI folder and then upload the whole lot again?

One last question (well 2 actually), I downloaded POI's from the Travis Perkins site of all their builders merchants, they do not seem to be represented on the POI's here so can I upload them without breaking copyright?
Finally, they are all in Tom Tom format, is there any way to convert these to CSV for the garmin?

Thanks again
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I to take it if I want to add more POI's I just put them in the POI folder and then upload the whole lot again?

Yes

Quote:
I downloaded POI's from the Travis Perkins site of all their builders merchants, they do not seem to be represented on the POI's here so can I upload them without breaking copyright?

I would ask Travis Perkins first. It's their data. You MUST have their permission to upload them here.

Quote:
Finally, they are all in Tom Tom format, is there any way to convert these to CSV for the garmin?

I believe there are some programs that will do it. However if they get uploaded in OV2 format then they be made available in both OV2 and CSV format on this site.
Reap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I managed to convert them to CSV and they work on my Garmin (at least in simulator mode)
I will indeed email Travis Perkins for permission to upload here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: