Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HD Traffic will be available in 2008
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HD Traffic will be available in 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: TomTom HD Traffic will be available in 2008 Reply with quote

Just saw a small article in January 2008 edition of T3 mag and found this site on TomTom site....

Another version to wait for.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom HD Traffic will be available in 2008 Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
Just saw a small article in January 2008 edition of T3 mag and found this site on TomTom site....

http://www.tomtom.com/page/HD_Home?TT=7a1281ad%3Ababa37bd%3A00000000%3A00000000%3A00000000%3A00000000%3Afbonvsm7vr0b4f9rf2ng9rcom3

Another version to wait for.

That sounds indeed interesting. However, I get the impression that the service is only provided for the Netherlands. I live in Sweden. But I guess that more of Europe will be covered. I wonder if the quality of the data will be equally good all across Europe. After all it's down to which information sources they are using.

I would also like to see a more dynamic rating where you only pay when you're actually using the service. I'm not prepared to pay €9.95 a month for a service that I use once in a while.

/Ulf
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom HD Traffic will be available in 2008 Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
After all it's down to which information sources they are using.

After studying the article a bit more carefully I understand more:

"TomTom HD Traffic uses a revolutionary new source of traffic information: the mobile phones of people traveling in their cars. From this anonymous data TomTom knows exactly where, in which direction and at what speed all these mobile phone users are traveling throughout the Dutch road network. This real-time data is combined with other available traffic information services, resulting into a much more complete and more trustworthy traffic information."

So, apparently the sources of information are all drivers on the roads using TomTom. This will probably work fine in Holland which is a densely populated country with presumaby a lot of TomTom users. I'm more sceptical to how well the service would work in Sweden - once they release it here (according to the text above they only offer the service in Holland).
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tomtom will get some of their data from the mobile phones of ordinary members of the public as they drive about on their private business. Are tomtom paying to use the information generated from private citizens? I suspect not.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom HD Traffic will be available in 2008 Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
So, apparently the sources of information are all drivers on the roads using TomTom. This will probably work fine in Holland which is a densely populated country with presumaby a lot of TomTom users. I'm more sceptical to how well the service would work in Sweden - once they release it here (according to the text above they only offer the service in Holland).

Not quite, the source of data is all users of mobile phones from the data partner which in the case of the UK will be Vodafone.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom HD Traffic will be available in 2008 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
uffe73 wrote:

Not quite, the source of data is all users of mobile phones from the data partner which in the case of the UK will be Vodafone.

That is even more remarkable. Does that mean that all Vodaphone subscribers would provide data to TomTom while driving about, whether they like it or not? Sounds strange to me.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may sound strange but that is exactly what will happen. The data is already stored by the phone companies, the novelty is the use TomTom are going to make of it and the sharing between Vodafone and a third party, see here.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like TomTom are making a habit of collecting data from users the selling it back to them. First with MapShare and now Traffic info, won't get much from me I'm on O2 Laughing
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Seems like TomTom are making a habit of collecting data from users the selling it back to them. First with MapShare and now Traffic info, won't get much from me I'm on O2 Laughing

Well, I guess we have to accept the moral aspects here. Most people, me included, have probably not considered that the GSM providers have been able to track us ever since the GSM networks came to life some 15 years ago. We tend to get used to new technology and forget the negative aspects.

But another question that pops up, that I should maybe better have posted in the Advanced GPS forum: Assuming that TomTom and the network provider will be collecting data from an arbitrary mobile phone not hosting a built-in GPS receiver or any dedicated positioning software; will the accuracy of the positioning accuracy be good enough for making the data any useful? Since they have no GPS satellites aiding the positioning they must use some network based LBS method for obtaining the position - typically triangulation or cell identification. Neither of these methods provides an accuracy that comes close to that of a consumer GPS receiver. So, with this in mind, how will TomTom be able to distinguish a stationary mobile phone in a house from a phone in a car standing still in a queue on the street outside the house? One way would be to use statistics but that would most likely require an enormous amount of computer power considering the number of phones out there.
And, in an area with a dense road network like Holland and the UK, how will they be able to know which road I am driving on?

Ok, the guys at Vodaphone and TomTom are probably sharp and have a solution to this. I'm just curious how it will work technically. I will sit back and observe how well it works in Holland and the UK and decide if the resulting service to us satnav custumers will be worth the €9.95/month.

/Ulf

PS: See the articles below for interesting reading about the technical challenges in this area:

http://www.telematicsguide.com/Articles/GPS_GSM.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_localization

Last edited by uffe73 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:

Can't let that one pass unchallenged!

TomTom pay iTIS a licence fee for TMC data, they pay Vodafone for the usage data and then they combine the two using some very clever filtering and calculation software to (hopefully) improve the quality and accuracy of Traffic data. This is then transmitted using servers to end-users.

The data they use has already been collected by Vodafone (and O2, Three, Orange etc) regardless so if anything they are contributing money to Vodafone's coffers. If it does improve data quality then I'm all for it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: