Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The S** series 'problems'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The S** series 'problems'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: The S** series 'problems' Reply with quote

If, like I do, you read the forums regularly, one gets the impression that the S series is fraught with problems, but then it is the tendency to only post when there is a problem.
I am thinking, depending upon the maths, of selling my N20 and getting the top end S model ...(I would have to buy the new E. European maps for the N20 to fulfil my needs - being available from 4th December if I kept the N20), whereas, I understand that the S90i comes with the latest mapping on DVD (?).
So let's hear it from those of you who think the S range is the bee's knees - or otherwise.
Should I stay with my tried and tested N20 which works exactly as I want it to or go into the unknown territory of the Sssss. Question
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a few problems with my s90i overall i am getting to like the unit very much. Getting a fix seems to be instant and cant say ive ever suffered
a loss of signal. The TMC is a bit of a hit and miss but have found it ok this week after placing aerial at bottom of windscreen instead of top. The bluetooth function is brilliant. The calls are very clear and if anything i have to have the volume set to the second bar only as it is quite loud. The auto day night screen comes in handy but it would be nice if they had just a "normal" setting intead of all these fancy settings. Hopefully Navman will take note of the few issues with the machine and release a update fix for these.
Im still not totally won over by the unit due to the small hiccups ive had with it as u dont expect a top range machine to suffer these and also the issue with the custom poi`s only being limited to 12,000.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
issue with the custom poi`s only being limited to 12,000.

12,000 files seems quite a lot! I've also noticed that Navman recommend that you delete the unwanted voice files to make more room on the device - would that help with the POIs Question Or, is it a case of a programmed limitation on the custom pois Question
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12,000 poi`s does seem a lot but it cant handle all of the speed camera database loaded from here. i cant fit the pmobile cameras as it takes it over its limit. i have disabled every other poi and even just left the one voice on it.
ive even gone as far as removing all the european maps as im not using them.
minime1984
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have s90i and if it was faultless it would be a great sat nav.The bluetooth is ok but two people talking on the s90i it very quiet. If you buy a s90i don't put on any poi's, it causes the unit to reboot itself when on route and you will notice the post codes on the whole are inaccurate.As for updating your maps the 2007 updates still have loads of roads still missing, which i am dissapointed with.If were you i would hold off buying the s90i until Navman have fix the faults.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, more please Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you buy a s90i don't put on any poi's, it causes the unit to reboot itself when on route

Just a question. Are the customer installed POIs on a card or on the memory Question If the former, it could be the speed of the card. If you run an ordinary SD card on other Navman devices, then that can cause the rebooting or slow navigation operation on the device. My Kingston SD card is 50X 2Gb Elite Pro. and works very well even though the whole of Europe is installed on it as well as all the PGPSW POIs. Previously, I used a standard 1Gb SD card and it did occasionally reboot the device or was slow in planning a route (well, at least that is what I attributed it too.)

I have just been reading the S90i Manual and it says that the device can take a maximum of 25 custom POI files. As the PGPSW Consolidated safety camera database is contained within only six files, how do you relate Navman's statement with the device's inability to accept more than 12 000 files? Are you saying lines of data? I'm confused Crying or Very sad
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the customer installed poi`s are on the actual unit and not the memory card.
the unit doesnt come with a memory card as per previous navman units ive owned. As stated in another post im running the 5 poi`s and the unit seems to be a little bit better as in it has only rebooted itself on average once a day now, still not perfect but think i can live with it until a fix is released. Hopefully if enough s90i owners contact navman about the issue they will resolve it.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I have just been reading the S90i Manual and it says that the device can take a maximum of 25 custom POI files. As the PGPSW Consolidated safety camera database is contained within only six files, how do you relate Navman's statement with the device's inability to accept more than 12 000 files? Are you saying lines of data?

If that's what manual says than manual is wrong. With previous Navman units Custom POIs of one type were grouped in individual files and there was a limit on number of those files. With S50 and higher, all Custom POIs are now kept in one single file and there is 12k soft limit on number of individual entries in that file. You can load more, but the more you add the more performance gets impaired. NavPix count as Custom POIs as well.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
I have just been reading the S90i Manual and it says that the device can take a maximum of 25 custom POI files. As the PGPSW Consolidated safety camera database is contained within only six files, how do you relate Navman's statement with the device's inability to accept more than 12 000 files? Are you saying lines of data?

If that's what manual says than manual is wrong. With previous Navman units Custom POIs of one type were grouped in individual files and there was a limit on number of those files. With S50 and higher, all Custom POIs are now kept in one single file and there is 12k soft limit on number of individual entries in that file. You can load more, but the more you add the more performance gets impaired. NavPix count as Custom POIs as well.

Thanks for the clarification Wink
Jayc72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have no complaints with my S30.

Looks goods, works well, mounting bracket is heaps better then the alternative Tom Tom One v3 that I was looking at when purchasing.

Only annoyance was the silly "ding" chime when speed cams or traffic red lights where close.

I updated that quick smart and have no longer got any problems with it.
Instrcutions here ...
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=60384

Last edited by Jayc72 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
minime1984
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i said 12000 i ment lines,which is no good when the speed camera files from pocketgpsworld is over that, If you put anymore on the unit it reboots and is slow.There is also a problem with the post codes being inaccurate. Ive had enough of the faults and sent mine back.
minime1984
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS YOU CAN'T PUT ON POI SPEED CAMERAS ON THE S90I,I HAVE TRIED BUYING FROM NAVMAN BUT HALF THE CAMERA SITES ARE MISSING.SPOKE TO NAVMAN AND THEY DIDN'T KNOW HOW MANY CAMERA SITES THERE ARE AND DIDN'T KNOW THERE FILES ARE INCOMPLETE.WHAT HAS HAPPEN TO NAVMAN THEY HAVE GONE FROM GREAT TO BAD WITH THE S SERIES!
THEY CHARGE £34 FOR ONE YEAR.DON'T BUY THEM,
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Navman web shop and tell them you want a full refund on your subscription. I did this after i realised that the Navman speedcam database is so poor. The refunded me in full back to my credit card.
Aikidoana
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed camera data on the S90i is from road poilet and they had an issue with the mobile ones which they are going to correct, if you had a subcription you will get that data. Also you can report on the website of Navman on the Iupdate section cameras that are missing.

I contacted Navman and they will launch in Mid december a service pack for the S range.
So any little issues you have will be correct, they are working for their customers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: