Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TTG520.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TTG520.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: New TTG520. Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post this as I do tend to see nothing but gloomy topics!

Purchased a TomTomGo 520 after some deliberation on here between that and the oneXL.

Got TomTom Traffic subscription for a year and a 1Gb SD Card for mp3's.

Everything worked out of the box. TomTom Home installed without much drama - MapUpgrade Guarantee worked first time from v705 to v715 - No problems here either.

TomTom Home upgraded the unit [I think] to Version App 7.221.

The MP3 player works great [Battery eater tho! Laughing Out Loud]

All in all I am very pleased with my purchase.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When reading forums you have to take the view that for every 100 people that have a device, 75 will be happy and say nowt, 10, will be neutral and say nowt and 15 will be unhappy.

Of the 15 unhappy customers, 10 will post in the forum on their issue subjectively and reasonably and the remaining 5 will shout from the rooftops demanding instant rectification.

Oh and one of the happy customers will post telling us so Thumbs Up Thank you Very Happy

Forums are great for gauging what issues exist and more importantly how to resolve them. They are not a great way of subjectively measuring the level of problems as you will almost always only see the problems and not the success stories.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as I said elsewhere recently, there are presumably good reasons why TomTom are the market leader, but if there are more owners out there then statistics says there will be more if them with problems or "issues".
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: New 520 Reply with quote

Johnny_D My 520T is just 3 months old and like you it worked great straight out of the box. Even had reasonable TMC coverage up and down the country. Then I got a 'low battery' sign followed by an instant crash. I established that the problem was the supplied 12v charging lead. After 3 emails, Tomtom support sent me a replacement.....but it was for a Tomtom 300/500. Round pin into usb doesn't work. its now been a week and four emails and still now reply for anyone. Good job I kept my TTG 500 updated, it has never failed me yet. But I am still very happy with the 520T.

Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think your numbers are right on the money Darren & Andy Smile

Thanks for your input Stuart - that's fairly sucky and i'd be inclined to get on a phone rather quickly!

Do you know what the issue with the vehicle charge was? Vehicle chargers make me nervous at the best of times - But i've found that running everything through a low-amperage multi socket helps my nerves! Theorically it should blow before anything else!

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:
Vehicle chargers make me nervous at the best of times - But i've found that running everything through a low-amperage multi socket helps my nerves! Theorically it should blow before anything else!

JD

In the old days (Go and Gox00 models) there was a big problem with the TT chargers.
There was a third wire in the cable which "sensed" that the 5 Volt supply was correct at the point where it entered the TomTom.
Unfortunately, that wire tended to break, so the voltage regulator in the adapter thought "Ooh, the volts are too low" and proceeded to raise the supply until the whole 12 Volts available was supplied to the TT.
Instant frying of the internals, and the fuse in the cigar lighter adapter never blew!
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:

Vehicle chargers make me nervous at the best of times - But i've found that running everything through a low-amperage multi socket helps my nerves! Theorically it should blow before anything else!

JD

Johnny_D Not sure other than its intermittent....What sort of multi socket do you use. I have seen some around, but they need to be 2 amps...don't they Andy_P2002....I tried one from Argos but it was only 900Ma and got very warm. There must be a decent 12V plug with USB sockets for 2A GPS type units on the market. A standard USB cable works OK on my 520T from my laptop, but what a rigmorale
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart, send me your address and I'll pop a 12v mini-USb charge cable in the post to you.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: 520 cable Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Stuart, send me your address and I'll pop a 12v mini-USb charge cable in the post to you.

What a hero Darren...PM on its way. Very Happy Many Thanks Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: