Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 510/520 maps for £39.99 on navman site
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

510/520 maps for £39.99 on navman site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonP1971
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: 510/520 maps for £39.99 on navman site Reply with quote

http://ukstore.navmanstores.com/Software%20and%20Maps/510%20520/510/520%20Map%20Upgrade%20Europe___148.htm

Now these are the most up to date maps for the 510 / 520, but they are called V2006. Does that mean that navman will release a 2007 update soon ( at full price) or are they dropping any future updates for the old unit.
I am asking as i have SmartST 2005 on my unit and was about to buy a new S70 / S90 as didnt think it was worth spending anymore on my old one. But, at £40 I am tempted.
What are the views here?

Cheers, Simon.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally recommend ebay the old one, but thats based on £99 upgrade prices, not £40. Work out what selling the 520 on ebay and buying a new one will cost. then decide.

Pros for keeping and upgrading the 520
Cheaper ( assuming it is).
Easy to decide which bells and whistles (you have no choice)

Pros for upgrading
SiRF III GPS
New battery (your 520 one is likely to need replacing by now)
option for Traffic updates
option for all the bells and whistles if you want them
bigger screen
prettier, but not much more functional software

Overall, theres not a lot in it. The S series is likely to be supported a bit longer, the 520 this is probably the last update they will make avalible.

Personally I would keep the 520 a bit longer (I still use a 630), unless you find the GPS reception to be patchy. The technology is still maturing quickly, and has a long way to go. Another 2 years will see interesting developments.

Of course, all these comments are my own, fully biased, opinion. Please feel free to ignore them.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could spend £40 on new maps and see if you like it. If you don't, you can still sell it on eBay and claim you upgraded it with new maps for £99 -- you may actually make same extra money in the process! Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: