Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin 610 and 310 map display question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin 610 and 310 map display question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: garmin 610 and 310 map display question Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking at the 310 or 610 as an addition to my inbuilt sat nav. I want to use the Nuvi to find custom poi and with the PGPSW speed camera datbase. I origially was looking at the NAvman s70 but understand it has major poi problems so a couple of questions re the NUvi

Can you run it in 3d map without setting a route?
Can you display your speed on this display or do you need to have the trip screen on for your speed?
Are there any limits to the nuber of POI you can run.

Thanks in advance

Tim
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: garmin 610 and 310 map display question Reply with quote

Can you run it in 3d map without setting a route?

Yes.

Can you display your speed on this display or do you need to have the trip screen on for your speed?

The speed displays unless you are in Routing Mode, in which case you get the ETA. You can't change this. The trip screen always shows the speed, (amongst other things).

Are there any limits to the nuber of POI you can run.

There's no defined limit as such, but at some point, it will probably cease to function. I have been past the MILLION mark and it was still working - though actually finding anything in that list wasn't easy!

(I have a Nüvi 310 - but I think the 610 is similar wrt to these features)
traby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, The inbuilt sat nav isn't bad for routing, but as I have a new job that covers most of the south of the UK I am wrried about the huge number of speed cameras even though I drive sensibly. It would also be usefull to find supermarkets etc whilst I am out and about as well as BP fuel stations.

I assume the speed displays in the bottom left corner then?

The only feature I would have liked is a display that showed the speed limit of the road you are on as well as your speed. The Tomtom XL does this aparently but I have had a Tom tom, and they dont do one with bluetooth handsfree for a reasonable price.

Think it will be a Garmin, do you know if version 10 maps are out for new units?

Cheesr Tim
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traby

I have a Nuvi 660 with Version 10, which Garmin have renamed City Europe NT 2008.

I am not sure if Nuvi 3xx series are shipping with NT 2008 as they have been discontinued - however if you buy one, then Garmin have a policy of a free upgrade proving you bought your unit once new maps were released.
traby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll probably go for the 610 as it is widescreen. Couple of other questions,

If you run it in trip screen mode will it still alet you to cameras, and
can you run it so it only warns of cameras and but not of any other pois

Thanks in advance
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss something as the Nuvi 3** are still showing on Garmins site.

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traby wrote:
If you run it in trip screen mode will it still alet you to cameras, and can you run it so it only warns of cameras and but not of any other pois
It should still work, although I'm not sure why you would need to leave it in trip mode...

As a default, if you leave POI Loader in Express Mode, it will alert on all the PGPSW speed camera files, and not on standard POI files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: