Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony NV-U82 vs TTG 510 opinions please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony NV-U82 vs TTG 510 opinions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaiser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Sony NV-U82 vs TTG 510 opinions please Reply with quote

I am looking at getting rid of my TTG 300 and upgrading to either the Sony NV-U82 or the TomTom Go 510. Has anyone got opinions for or against these two?

I have been very happy with my TTG300 but I would like something different. Has anyone bought the new Sony (or even use one), I am planning on going to my local Sony Centre to have a play with it but that will not tell me how good it is on the road. I like the functionality of the new TomToms especially the iPod cable, also TomTom are a satnav company and that is what they do whereas Sony do loads of products. I have read one good review of the Sony (T3 Mag) but I cannot find many reviews around.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Kai
HughManchester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony NV-U82 Review (UK)

I have owned this (UK version) for 12 days. The screen is excellent (set the brightness to maximum in the menu). The "sticky gell" mount is superb - it would stick to ANYTHING without leaving a mark (on my Honda Jazz, it sticks to the dashboard like a limpet - it takes all my puny strength to prize it off!). Keep a cloth (I use a glass cleaning kit) handy to clean the attachment area. Without the cigar lighter lead attached, it looks like it came as standard with the car - real neat and classy. The battery only lasts an hour, so always take the car charger. Sitting on top of the dashboard, about the same distance away as the instruments, I don’t need to move my head to read it - just move my eyes a fraction. I reckon this is better than the position of most built-in sat navs which are positioned quite low in the centre console. The screen is bright enough to read even when wearing sunglasses.

The default route setting of "fastest" can take you miles out of your way to keep to the major roads - select the "shortest route" from the menu for sensible routing for short journeys. You have the option of selecting “fastest”, “shortest” or “optimum” route - it is a good bet that one of them will give you your preferred option. You can request to avoid motorways. With “shortest route” selected, the literal computer will add a few additional turns to cut off the odd corner to save a yard or two, but otherwise gives an excellent, sensible route. The “optimum” route is a compromise between the fastest and the shortest.

Downloading the speed camera data (1 year free at www.navu.sony-europe.com) needs at least 2 PhD's (I only have one, so took me ages to figure it out). Expect to go around in circles for 20 minutes or so (SONY take heed - TERRIBLE site). Contrary to the information given on the site, you will not find your model number on the base of the unit; it is on a sticker on the box. If you have thrown the box away by this time you are in trouble! There are a number of NV-U82 designations for different countries; the one for UK is NV-U82G. The nice lady warned me about the speed camera just down the road - impressive as it has only been there a few weeks (Beware! Watch your speed! - an icon also appears on the screen to show you exactly where the camera is). Activating the speed camera data does not switch it on; you have to dig into the menus and switch on “warnings”. You can switch on speed camera, distance camera and traffic light warnings.

The nice lady does not speak the road names. For major roads, the A/B name is spoken, (eg "turn right in 100 yards on the A354). You have the option the show road names on the map (got them all right pronto, even the smallest local roads). The display shows the road name you are currently on and the name of the next road at bottom left.

Amazing how it shows the names of small pubs, cafes, major premises in our little villages (cafe JemAndI, Saints and Scholars cafe - just down the road). Cafes, chemists and petrol stations are all shown. Major premises such as large car vendors, museums etc. are shown and are a useful landmark.

If you decide to detour from the nice lady's instructions, she calculates the new route with adequate swiftness - no panicky "do a U-turn" (unless you are in a supermarket car park - when off-road she assumes you are on the nearest public road).

The kit comes with a pouch for the main unit but you will need a carry case for the total kit- display unit, mount, car charger and cleaning cloth (I use a spectacle cleaning kit) to keep the attachment area (and therefore the sticky gell mount) clean.

There is no mains charger. You can charge from your computer with the USB lead (only when your computer is switched on?). Best to get a mains charger - I have a universal charger which suffices (you need a charger of 5.2v with the central pin + [most universal chargers will accommodate this])

Just wish it told me the current speed limit with warning beeps if I am exceeding it (helps to keep your licence!) - I think the TomTom does this.

In summary, GREAT! Really pleased with it.

Regards
Hugh
ukmobile786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just bought an sony nv-u82 from internet and when it arrives i went to http://support.sony-europe.com/eve/navigation/downloads/update.asp?l=en&f=nv_5171

the above link to download the latest Software update version 2.0.07 called Firmware updates
now the system wont come on @ all it says to reset but tried this few times still not working does any 1 know what to do please email me or message me
aj_irishman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you downloaded a firmware update for a different model NV-51/71T
andymac1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Nav U52 and I loved the unit, but and its a big but, IT DID NOT KNOW WHERE IT WAS GOING !!!! The maps on screen where great but it went all over the place to try and get you to your destination. It seemed to be taking the longest route possible!!

As for the sticky gel pad holding it to the dash, great idea pity after two weeks it started to fall apart, and despite cleaning it and cleaning the dash it would keep falling off every half an hour or so.

In the end it drove me mad and Halfords swapped it for a TOM TOM one version 3.

Much much better and it has two benefits 1 it can navigate and 2 IT STICKS

hope this helps

Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: