Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin dashboard mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin dashboard mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tips62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: garmin dashboard mount Reply with quote

hi all,
can anyone tell me if this mount fits the 610t model,it states for 600 series but i just want to be certain.
Please see Here is there better or cheaper dashboard mounts?
this is going into a Citroen C4 Picasso.
i have not received my 610 yet,so any advice would be helpful.
thanks tips.........

Edit once to tidy up the URL link - Mike Alder
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best I know, that mount either comes with another component (which finishes at the ball mount) or uses part of your existing 610 mount. The front part of any Nuvi mount connects to this ball mount, so it will definitely use the front part of the Nuvi mount in the box with the Nuvi. As such, yes it will be compatible with your new unit.

In terms of cheaper alternatives, no.

In terms of better - you could look at the Brodit mounts - they use a car specific ProClip, and then you'll need their Brodit Nuvi mount, which gives you the ball mount, and then (again) you'll use the front part of the Nuvi mount from the box. Looks professional, will be sturdy, but will also not be cheap (expect double the price of that Garmin mount).

One thing to be aware of - your Citroen is likely to have an athermic windscreen, this will limit the ability for the RDS-TMC receiver to pick up the FM signals needed for traffic information to work.
tips62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
your Citroen is likely to have an athermic windscreen, this will limit the ability for the RDS-TMC receiver to pick up the FM signals needed for traffic information to work.

thanks swing for the reply,
will this affect its general use,ive never used a sat nav before apart from a built in one for couple of days in a hire car.
thanks again Tips...........
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMPORTANT - this mount needs a different attachment with the ball end to fit your Garmin unit. Why Garmin did this is beyond me but they have.

On a positive note I have one of these and it works very well, much more convenient than a suction mount. I bought mine from a Garmin shop in the USA but this looks like the same thing...

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/garmin-automotive-friction-mount-for-nuvi-series-description.html
City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and would recommend the BRODIT range of products. I've used them over a number of years in different cars for PDA/phone and sat nav.

My 660 is currently mounted using one.

They are blank, anonymous mounts that dont advertise what you may have connected to them and they merge in with your dash - making them unnoticable to the casual passer-by. (And no - I don't have any association with them - apart from being a very satisfied customer)
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
I use and would recommend the BRODIT range of products. I've used them over a number of years in different cars for PDA/phone and sat nav.

My 660 is currently mounted using one.

Dosen't the BRODIT range offer permanent fixings only for Nuvis?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tips62 wrote:
will this affect its general use,ive never used a sat nav before apart from a built in one for couple of days in a hire car.
In terms of showing you a map, and giving you directions, no it will not be affected at all. In terms of receiving traffic updates, which would influence your choice of route, yes, it will affect it. How severe that effect is will be the unknown factor.
tips62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Russell wrote:
IMPORTANT - this mount needs a different attachment with the ball end to fit your Garmin unit. Why Garmin did this is beyond me but they have.

On a positive note I have one of these and it works very well, much more convenient than a suction mount. I bought mine from a Garmin shop in the USA but this looks like the same thing...

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/garmin-automotive-friction-mount-for-nuvi-series-description.html

this is a better picture than the one in my link, it has a ball end,or are you saying that the unit needs another attachment.
the halfords link doesn't show the ball end very well.
its the same as the one in your link although only £20 if you order it online then pick it up yourself.
i have bought this today from halfords it is the official garmin product,cant try it yet as the unit has not arrived.

thanks tips.......
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There certainly was a time when you could buy the bottom of the mount without the ball bit, and there have been a few iterations of various components. However, I think you are saying the Halfords one comes with the ball mount, in which case it's good to know.
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tips62 wrote:

this is a better picture than the one in my link, it has a ball end,or are you saying that the unit needs another attachment.

thanks tips.......

No this is fine...you see it has the ball attachment in place. You used to have to buy this seperately.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Russell wrote:

Dosen't the BRODIT range offer permanent fixings only for Nuvis?

Not sure what you mean - have a look here for a selection of mounts for all sorts of devices.
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Nick_Russell wrote:

Doesn't the BRODIT range offer permanent fixings only for Nuvis?

Not sure what you mean - have a look here for a selection of mounts for all sorts of devices.

I mean exactly what I say...as far as I can see from the Brodit site the mounts for Nuvi have to be permanently fixed to a car, unlike ones for some PDAs and mobiles.

What Brodit mount do you use for your Nuvi?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I see what you mean. I've got a cold and can't think too clearly at present (It's my excuse and I'm sticking to it Rolling Eyes )

I use the Proclip (it fits over the centre console in my VW) and the ball mount. This leaves me with the original windscreen mount for use in other cars.

I would describe the Proclip as semi-permanent and I do leave it in place - but as it only clips onto the dash - it can be removed/repositioned relatively simply

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: