Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Microsoft Autoroute
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Autoroute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Microsoft Autoroute Reply with quote

Having taken delivery of a TomTom Bluetooth gps (normally used with my iPaq) - and having a Bluetooth XP laptop I have been trying to configure the GPS hardware with Autoroute. I have no problem in creating a serial port Bluetooth connection but can find no way of making Autoroute recognise it. I know this is a "pocket" device forum, but if anyone has any ideas I should be grateful!

Thanks, Guy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Microsoft Autoroute Reply with quote

AutoRoute does have this problem, AFAIK there is no fix to resolve this. Also AutoRoute really isn't a proper program to be used for satnav. It will show you where you are, but it won't route you or re-route you, or give you verbal directions.

Take a look at InfoMap Navigator
Darren
Frequent Visitor

The issue with AutoRoute is it will only connect to a GPS on a limited range of ports, COM 1-5 IIRC. BT devices usually use virtual COM Ports above this range and hence the problem. Other more savvy PC apps that allow a serial connection on a wider range of ports will work with your TomTom BT GPS happily.

InfoMap Navigator from Directions Ltd will work and is an excellent PC based GPS Navigation app with voice and all the usual fetaures.
2800gt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused by the reports that say you cannot use bluetooth GPS recievers with Autoroute 2002. I can use my Fortuna "clip-on" BT GPS unit with both Autoroute 2002 and Pocketstreets on my Loox. On the PC, the GPS unit appears on Com 6 and is selectable in the GPS config menu. On my Pocketpc it appears as Com 8 and this was not available within Pocketstreets initially, but after I had used my CF GPS card which created Com 5, the BT GPS Com 8 now appears on the list so I can use it.
rob_spensley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Autoroute Reply with quote

Have similar problems with Autoroute 2004 and my SysonChip CF plus GPS card. It configures itself as COM7 in my laptop PCMCIA slot which AR2004 can address - but tells me that while it is receiving data on that port, it cant understand it!!) Problem seems to be that the baud rate in AR2004 cannot be configured manually (I suspect it expects NMEA2 at 4800) and (I believe) the SoC CF card can only talk at 9600baud. All other software can see the GPS and understand it (you can even see the data stream in Hyperterminal).

BUT
Autoroute2002 worked perfectlywith the identical harwdare & setup!!!

Problem also extends to PocketStreets. The version of PS supplied with AR2004 brings up the Bluetooth connection screen when I try to connect to the GPS. So far I havent found a way of connecting to the SoC CF card, which configures itself as COM4 on my iPAQ5500. Again PS tells me there is data available on COM4 but it cant understand it Earlier versions of PS worked perfectly. Again I suspect baud rate is hard cded into the new PS.

I only upgraded to get newer maps, but to add insult to injury, now understand the 2004 versions may even have less data !!

Typical Microsoft "progress". Am going to remove AR2004/PS & reinstall earlier versions to see if I can get everything to work again.
rob_spensley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Autoroute Reply with quote

Feeling quite a prat now!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

After typing out the above I got to thinking along the lines of "If Microsoft have hard coded NMEA@ 4800baud into the software, surely the SysonChip must be able to talk at the the world standard default speed".

Began experimenting with the SysonChip GPS Viewer software (from their website or GPS Warehouse - Download area) on the iPAQ which it appears lets you confgiure the SoC as SiRF or NMEA at any baud rate. After a while experimenting - its by no means clear how to do this - and probably doing a few "Factory Resets" I managed to fix it at NMEA@4800 and lo and behold, Pocket Streets from the AR2004 disc worked!! Seems to depend on which screen you exit the configuration from.

Pulled the CF card and put into laptop, fired up AR2004 and Bingo!! Success.

Sincere apologies to BillG and his team - but they could have made it all much clearer.

RobS
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: PocketStreets Reply with quote

I totally forgot about PocketStreets.
I have Autoroute 2004 so i loaded up PocketStreets from the CD to try it.

The maps are ok and I like the way it shows the locations of all the Burger Kings and McD's (keeps the kids happy) as well as many other POI's as icons on the map and i also got it to track position with the navman 4400 BT receiver but you cant have this and SmartST using the GPS at the same time. Not as good as SmartST (obviously) as it can't plan a route but its a great secondary map for POI's as the SmartST POI's are terrible plus you can add your own as pushpins.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: