Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trouble downloading new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble downloading new maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Trouble downloading new maps Reply with quote

I have a Go520 and I have paid for a new map upgrade. I have also got the very latest version of Home. Unfortunately, when I try to download the new map which i am offered when I start up Home 2.1.2.121. The green bar goes across the screen left to right, then starts again. The green bar then progresses slowly across the screen as if downloading. Then after a little way, it stops. The progress bar goes white and it stays like this for good, not downloading the map. Anyone got the same or can think what I'm doing wrong?
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New maps already Smile

I thought mapshare was supposed to make the purchase of new maps an annual outlay?

HummerUK
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my unit is only 2 days old I have asked support about a free upgrade to 710 maps which my tthome 121 only offers for £29.99

Browsing maps I did note that mapshare does only work for 1 year so to keep your map up-to-date you do have to buy a new one every year.

Quote:
With your new map, you will also enjoy 12 months’ TomTom Map Share™ that allows you to receive map enhancements from the entire Map Share community.

HummerUK
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe has happened to me during my second download attempt.

The ZIP is currently 1.12 GB, so i'll leave it for anout hour to look for a change.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the other thread I now see you have to request the map from the top menu rather than it just appearing in the updates list.

It is downloading now but the time value is ridiculous high xxxxxx:xx:xx in length

I have 16meg broadband

HummerUK
Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen at 1.4gb downloaded. I unplugged my 910 which aborted the download. I reconnected the 910 which re-started the download and that completed successfully. Confused
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: All Done Reply with quote

Item actually downloaded in just a few minutes

It however only copies to your computer.

On checking the maps page it was then listed as on my computer but then on selection it said not enough room.

I then selected the old map of UK to be deleted which issued a warning that device will not work but I said yes anyway.

If then deleted UK and copied on new one.

Put my cameras back and of course home location etc is lost but I can get them back from backup or start a fresh (which I will do)

So I now have v710.1561 on my device Smile

One day bluetooth voice may even work Smile

HummberUK
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up, after leaving it for an extra hour the download completed but failed to install due to space.

Added it from the maps menu and selected the current map to delete and it installed.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi anyone else having trouble with downloading the new map.

I did as TomTom advised, upgraded to Home 2.1.2.121

Then purchased my map 7.10

Clicked to download the new map.

Then the fun started. asked if i wanted to delete existing western map to make way for new one - Clicked YES!. All items in western Map folder were removed, and download begins

Like Trafficman, the green bar started its travel, halted, started again, and telling me it had xxxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx n to go, and climbed rapidly.

Now I left it running, and running, and running, and it just timed out.

Several attempts made over night from 11pm to 8am, same results. I rebooted. stopped all programmes etc etc. No Joy!

Time to ring customer support at 8am.

Explained problem to a American gentleman, who listened to my plight.

Oh its your firewall and anti-virus, I was told, turn them off, as they can slow a download. MMMM, ok, did that (even though TomTom has permissions and was a little concerned at no protection), same results.

Tomtom support then proceeded to tell me it was probably my internet providers fault, and I should go to a friends house, use their PC to download the maps, for they had checked their server and it was downloading for him OK.

I asked for confirmation - use a friends PC to download maps!, YES!

mmmm, so, I asked was he making a serious suggestions here. 1. leaving a PC open to viruses and hackers, 2. having to install and upgrade Home software on a friends PC, to download maps I had paid for.

YES - he said.

Can't I just download the map from your website - NO!. only via Home!

Or you can purchase a disc - but I have paid for download can you not just send me a disc - NO!

You have to buy map on disc and get sales to refund you!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
GO 920 Dead
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:

Yes, I had the same problem, and stayed up half the night trying to download the map. I haven't tried yet this morning.

I'm still concerned about ending up with only the Canaries map available.

I've got a 4GB card in the 720. If, on the Home 'Welcome' screen, I select the card as the device I want to use instead of the internal memory, will it install the new maps onto the card and leave the existing maps intact in the memory, and allow me to select which maps to use?

If so, what other files do I need to copy to the card?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not to be dissuaded by first call to TomTom Customer Service, I contacted them again, but this time got through to a helpful lady called Louise, who was as dismayed as I at suggestions I was given.

We established I could download POI's and other items, so nothing wrong with my system.

Baffled she said she would look into and get back to me via e-mail (yes we have heard that before).

But Loise was true to her word, and e-mailed me back with 25 minutes and here is her reply:
Quote:

Response (Louise M. (UK)) - 02/11/2007 10.32 AM
Dear Mr *******

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your Go720 and installing the new map of western europe.

I described your issues to the 2nd line department and they have advised me that we are having some server issues regarding the download of maps. These issues are being worked on as we speak, but the only thing to do for now is to just stop the attempted download of your map and try again later. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. If we can help or assist further please do not hesitate to contact us.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Well, at least some people working at TomTom are helpful and even if cannot help immediately, they keep you informed.

Thank you Louise
GO 920 Dead
rleeden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was facing this problem too, but just tried again and it seems to have worked. Don't know if I was just lucky or whether they've sorted out the problems.

The estimated time remaining and the download bar were still showing gibberish but it did work Very Happy. Took about 90 minutes (for the Western Europe map that is) on a 4Mb connection. The resulting Western_Europe.zip file was 1,743,527Kb in size.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Mick_1959 wrote:

Yes, I had the same problem, and stayed up half the night trying to download the map. I haven't tried yet this morning.

I'm still concerned about ending up with only the Canaries map available.

I've got a 4GB card in the 720. If, on the Home 'Welcome' screen, I select the card as the device I want to use instead of the internal memory, will it install the new maps onto the card and leave the existing maps intact in the memory, and allow me to select which maps to use?

If so, what other files do I need to copy to the card?

Well, after several more tries the download appeared to start satisfactorily at 13:50, with completion due around 17:15. Last time I checked it had 5 minutes to go. I've just checked again to see if it had completed, and found the message "Internal Server Error"! Crying or Very sad Grrrr Evil or Very Mad

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what might have caused this?

I wonder how many tries it will take to get another download even started!
Samsung Galaxy S21
BrightonJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just downloaded the latest maps - went smoothly so no problem with it this morning - at least not for me on 20Mb broadband although it still took about 15minutes.

I thought that this would enable me to 'join mapshare' but apparently it doesn't (I'm using a fairly new 910) AND some of the errors that I reported THREE YEARS ago are still there. Still, at least the new firmare and map allows me to report these things - AGAIN! Just don't know how I benefit from this?

JUST to add that I have now also managed to join mapshare (I think) so have had my reports up-loaded (I hope!!).
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally managed to download the latest map, and I am now the proud owner of v710.1561 Map, and download completed in about 45minutes .

My only niggle is when I use Home 2.1.2.121, it insists I have a map to download.
GO 920 Dead

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: