Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcjeffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Route Change Reply with quote

Having plotted a route to a destination has anyone had TT6 plot a totaly different route the next day?

I was traveling from my mothers house to my brothers house the other side of Huddersfield about 30 minutes drive away. The easy way is to go almost through the town centre but my brother takes a back route which should save a mile or two looking at a map.

TomTom plotted a route which I thought followed my brothers route but actually took a cross country route where the roads were not that wide. I was not keen on this route so the next day replotted the route but forced it to take my brothers route. Although this route was 1.5 miles shorter it took a minute longer than the original route.

Since then when I give it the same start and finish points the route follows the roads of the shorter route which I previously had to force it to take. I have tried re plotting using the two postcodes in Avanced Planning and with the GPS on using the destination postcode and it still takes the shorter route which it has now decided takes the same time as that original route.

Chris
Flack
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want to use my own route I use Itconvert with Autoroute, you just plot the route you want in Autoroute and then convert it with Itconvert so you can get TT to use it as an itinerary.

Flack Very Happy
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jcjeffe
As Flack has alls ready suggested you can plot a route on your PC with Autoroute and its converter, ITNconvert.

Even better is Google Maps. You can plan your route on Google maps and then log on to a site at http://houghi.org/tomtom/index.php and follow the instructions. Its great.

You can also plan a route using the Itinerary option on Tomtom.

Any of the above three option will make your Tomtom take you on the route that you wish it to take. I know, I have tried them all.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:

You can plan your route on Google maps and then log on to a site at http://houghi.org/tomtom/index.php and follow the instructions. Its great.

thanks for this Trevor, great it certainly is, just what i was looking for the a couple of weeks back in another thread, not wanting tho to install any more 3rd party soft on my machine it is the answer i craved Smile

TTOV3...
jcjeffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone seems to have got the wrong idea. All I was asking was has anyone seen TomTom plot a route one day and the next day plot a considerably different route between the same two locations.

Between times I had forced a test route which to me seemed better but which TomTom said took longer than its initial route, but only by a minute. Ever since then TomTom has started using this route instead of its original one.

Chris
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jcjeffe
I'm sorry, we did wander off from the original query. And I am also sorry that I haven't got the answer to your question.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

TomTom does seem to plan its route for the direction it thinks the car is currently facing (i.e. the last direction in which the gps was moving). If the two routes take a similar time (or whatever criteria you've set), or you're starting on a long road with no turning points, could that be the reason?

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am suspicious that TomTom seems to "learn" routes. It would be nice to have a definitive answer but I suspect that only the bods at TomTom HQ would know the answer to this.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that TomTom does not learn routes.
However, other factors might be different, accounting for the different answers. As previously suggested, one of these might be the direction the car was moving when the GPS was previously switched off. Also, if two alternative routes are very similar in their scores, minor differences in the perceived GPS start position (for example, placing the car on different sides of the road) would favour one or the other. Finally, the calculation of the route is not performed to an infinite degree of precision. There are rounding errors at each stage, and these might result in different routes appearing to be fastest at different times.
Robin[/u]
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 said
Quote:
As previously suggested, one of these might be the direction the car was moving when the GPS was previously switched off

I can confirm this. During a recent holiday in the New Forest, I regularly parked alongside our accommodation at right angles to the road. Whenever we arrived from the north, the next day our route set off towards the south. If we arrived from the south, it wanted to send us towards the north to the same destination. If I ignored it and turned towards the south, which was my preferred route, it immediately recalculated.

The distances both ways were only a mile or so different but the roads on the north route were not as good. Very Happy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - and you can 'confuse' it by reversing into a parking position on the road. It correctly thinks it's moving the 'wrong' way.

I don't think it will pick which side of the road you are on - it works this out from the position of the centre of the road (the lock-to position) and the direction of travel and country.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: