Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom one NO maps found
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom one NO maps found
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cabe5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom one NO maps found Reply with quote

I had this thing for a day a day manged t ruin it.
All I did was add a an sd card to it, could find nary a mention of the cards anywhere in any docs or tom tom web pages, o i plugged it in, not
no maps,
keeps downloading same update over and over
with or without card.
have reset
have reinstalled the software
have about given up just out of mind screaming frustration of the lack of info on how to operate this thing IN THE BOX AND PDF FILE THEY CALL INSTRUCTIONS
what a little unstable piece of junk I have here.
I loved it about 15 hours ago, now i want to powderize it.
Marvelous,
Some ne please, point me to that thread that everyone else can find but me? and I will just leave you alone ,because I know this is common and shouldn't be.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, If you have downloaded the software onto your new SD card, you now need to copy the maps from your old card, the maps arn't part of the software. The best way to do it, using WINDOWS EXPLORER, is to copy everything on the old SD card, then paste it into a folder on your computer, then put your new card in and copy /paste everything onto the new card, you will then have a FULL backup on your computer, should you need it. If you have a CD Writer, copy it onto a CD too. Anyway, have a look at number 1 on the link, thats how to copy the SD card, and there are more usefull "How to's" there too.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50045
Cabe5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what "old sd card"? i didn't get an sd card, had to go buy one. Worked fine until I put the card in and then I lost maps and everything, constantly reinstalls the newest update over and over. If I check it says it needs it and again i try and it doesn't stick, but the no maps problem keeps me from actually getting inside my tomtom without using the "Tomtom Home" software, and I cannot operate th deice from there either when i hit "Operate my one", it load the virtual screen and then says no maps found, I click on the screen an it crashes every time

this is running without sd, trying to get it back

sigh
why does it say winnt as mt op sys? rediculous

Operating system = WINNT
Profile folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Booth\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\ey1kc6ch.default
Installation folder = C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2
Plugins folder = C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul\plugins
Data folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Booth\My Documents\TomTom\HOME
Version = 2.0.0.370
Language = en-US
User name = cabe_boothATswbell.net
Login status = User is logged in
Server = https://home.tomtom.com/redir/
Name = TomTom ONE New Edition
Device Code =xxxxxxxxxx
Serial number = xxxxxxxxxxxx
Storage devices = Internal Memory (FSmile - Active
* Computer info:

Operating system: Windows XP (build 2600, Service Pack 2)
Free memory: 1001820160 bytes
User home directory: "C:\Documents and Settings\Booth"
Home volume space: 51168 / 117232 MB
Temporary directory: "C:\DOCUME~1\Booth\LOCALS~1\Temp\"
Temp volume space: 51168 / 117232 MB
Install directory: "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xulrunner\"
Install volume space: 51168 / 117232 MB
External volume devices: D:\ [TOMTOM] 0 / 247 MB ; F:\ [TomTom Disk] 13 / 958 MB
OS login name: "Booth"
Host name: "cabe"
Date and time: 2007-10-21 06:19:42

* HOME info:

DLL Version: 2.0.000
Language:

Link edit to reduce Spamming - Oldboy
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets start again,

1/Has your TomTom got an SD card slot?
2/Does/did your TomTom work without an SD card in?
3/Was it new, or 2nd hand?
4/Have you got a FULL WINDOWS EXPLORER backup?
5/What is on the SD card?
6/What have you deleted from the TomTom(Not the card)
7/What SD card did you buy, a blank one?

Take the SD card out, and press the re-set button, and keep it pressed for about 30 seconds, then switch it on, without the card in.
Cabe5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all, good. I went to cnet and got a sd card editor program, it allowed me to rescue selected files, will I rescued the "guam file" and it got tomtom running again, no telling what I might be missing. but it seems it running fine, but no card in it yet.

I never could fins anywhere that explained that the was a problem just putting the card in, which made it all goto hell.

the sd card was blank

So to indulge and educate us both
Lets start again,

1/Has your TomTom got an SD card slot? Yes
2/Does/did your TomTom work without an SD card in? Yes
3/Was it new, or 2nd hand? Refurbished with 1 year tomtom supplied warranty
4/Have you got a FULL WINDOWS EXPLORER backup? Hmmmm. I have a backup, but is it good one? Wgo knows, TomTom's website is so full of info and the manual well....you know, might a decent backup though
5/What is on the SD card? I wish I knew, but I should now soon, I ma going to go buy a reader, see I thought that was what I culd use my tomtom to do, well f that
6/What have you deleted from the TomTom(Not the card) Nothing, but it sure looks like it did it on its own after card was placed in, because files showed up missinf on the data recovery shareware program, on was.....my maps
7/What SD card did you buy, a blank one? Blank 1GB Sandisk

Take the SD card out, and press the re-set button, and keep it pressed for about 30 seconds, then switch it on, without the card in.

well for now it works, now I am going to search for a tutorial on how to put a card in a device that should be so damn hard to do. My digital camera and phone didn't catch on fire when I did it, no did my PC. Tom tom's response was.....impressive in its crippling effect.
You WOUL think my owner's manual would cover that topic, but you ca check yourself, it spend one sentence on t, oh 2 if you could the sentence that and sd cards was included in box, which...was a lie.

Thank you for getting back. If anything I wrote above sparks a warning that I need to know, please inform me, because tomtom won't.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabe5 wrote:

4/Have you got a FULL WINDOWS EXPLORER backup? Hmmmm. I have a backup, but is it good one? Wgo knows, TomTom's website is so full of info and the manual well....you know, might a decent backup though

From your answer it sounds like you HAVEN'T done a backup using Windows Explorer.
If not, PLEASE do one now, before you do ANYTHING else. Instructions are in the FAQs, but basically you need to view the contents of your TT internal flash memory, COPY everything, and then PASTE it to a safe place on your PC.

Now... Why do you want to add a card to it? That's the question that no-one has asked and you've not told us...

Are you aware that with your particular model you can EITHER use the programme, map etc. that come installed on the internal memory OR an SD card, but NOT both at once?
Therefore, if you want to use an SD card you have to first copy EVERYTHING from the memory to the card, check it works (the unit will always try to boot up from the card if one is in the slot when you switch it on) and only then can you add anything extra you want to put on it.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reiterate what Andy has just said, I'm not clear why you want to insert the SD card in the first place. It's only use is to run a 2nd map you may own (with all the application software installed on the card as well). For example, you may purchase the large map of Western Europe which is over 1 GB in size, and thus will not fit on the internal memory.

If you don't have a 2nd map, then there is absolutely no use in trying to use an SD card. You cannot, for example, load it up with additional POIs that the internal memory can access. Unfortunately, this can't be done.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46jimbo wrote:
use an SD card. You cannot, for example, load it up with additional POIs that the internal memory can access. Unfortunately, this can't be done.

Just had a thought... does anyone know for certain that v7 software still doesn't allow this (on models other than the 520 and 720)?
Cabe5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez,
I have only owned the dang thing 48 hours. I saw an sd slot a figured that I may need spacw. They were on sale for a 1gb for $16 so i gabbed it and popped it in, then the next 36 hours have been a nightmare.
I don't know what all the model can do or what it will be required or optionally hold. I just thought I might need it and it efffed up my tomtom.
My main concern right now is getting it back to normal and since what I own is called the "tomtom ONE new edition US & Canada" it doesn't appear anywhere on the TomTom site under support and the dang software keeps trying make me think its a tomtom GO, which it is NOT. I keep getting weird errors, I cannot activate my tomtom in "Tomtom Home2" , but I dont even know if it is supposed to be able to activate, you k now where you run the screen on that one selection "activate GO" or something. It keeps telling me to enter codes and perform action on drop down menus THAT DON'T EXIST! THE TOTOM IS TELLING ME TO, not a badly written manual but the gps itself is telling me to do steps that are not possible.
So then I decided really screw it up and assume like other electronic devices it would explode from having a dang memory chip put in it.
Well yeah now it runs like its been dropped in a pool and I'm thrilled, but does it SAY ANYWHERE on the tomtom site how to NOT to add memory? No, does it say ANYTHING about it? Nope in fact I wouldn't know if it does since evidently to tomtom's website my model doesn't exist anyway.
I DON"T KNOW and the biggest problem is nothing, not even my users manual with all 4 pages or rah rah BS spends most of its time telling me how to mount the dang thin on my wind screen and mention NOTHING about the card, why it has a slot but says one came with it, which it didn't. The ebayer that sold it to me said they didn't make cards for em, but I thought heck, extra space if needed right? Use as a mass storage divice maybe. But nope it just F'd the whole weekend up.

so i have spent all ,my weekend trying to figure out how to work something that does not exist until i owned it. And forums are not getting me anywhere because people assume I know all about my tomtom since it is the only one of its kind in existence because I had to of built it myself and tomtom is unaware of it. But I brought it to their attention this morning with a colorful email about support and crappy documentation. They said they needed ,me to MAIL them my issue. to the Netherlands, yes with a stamp! "Mail" my questions or concerns.

so that's why I put it in there, so I could give you guys something to do. I have not slept in 2 days trying t fix it and now I am about to break it, I mean I cannot even find this version of tomtom on the tomtom web page, that tells you my level of support, and I have never owned a GPS.

this letter is written by a very tired and frustrated guy, who USB drivers are even freaking out now.

just tired of reading and tired of failing to get it to work properly and to even know that the software i have installed is even for my model.
so,
sorry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try the following and report back what happens:

1/ Remove the Memory Card. - Put it to one side.
2/ Press the reset button on the underside of the device for at least 30 seconds.
3/ Switch on the unit, now can you report back what happens.

I am not interested in what TT Home does, or where the memory card is located (as long as it is not in the TomTom One) - Mike
Cabe5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i can do that. But it hasn't been in all day. FYI I never formatted it, I did backup with TT software. I didn't know how or that I needed to back up with explorer. And since then I made another backup overwriting the original backup, since tomtom in their infinite wisdom made it without having maybe several backup slots to save in....?

I wonder if having it plugged in and doing a system restore will restore it? I mean since basically it was considered a removable storage device at the time?

but yes. I can do what you asked right now

Thank you,
Cabe
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabe... Please don't forget we are nothing to do with TomTom ourselves, we are just users like you....
Cabe5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh,
believe me none of this is aimed at you guys. And I am aware you are not tomtom, because not only is it obvious, but also tomtom wouldn't be talking to me at all. so that would be a dead give away. I am just stunned at the lack of documentation and just search searching "tomtom no maps found " brings up hundreds if not thousand of posts with people panicking that did what I did, so they probably should make mention of it on their site.

ok,
I did what you asked it opened with maps (which I had it doing, but wasn't sure if everything was back on board and off the card), but I cannot tell you yet if anything is different about it,
what do you need me to do next?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the device has booted up and is working normally displaying your current position on the map? - if it needs a GPS position fix please take it outside for 5 mins to be sure then report back if the map is showing your correct location - Mike
Cabe5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: