Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Activating TomTom US/Canada maps DVD with TT V5.20 Palm T3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Activating TomTom US/Canada maps DVD with TT V5.20 Palm T3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Activating TomTom US/Canada maps DVD with TT V5.20 Palm T3 Reply with quote

Hi,

Have received the TomTom US & Canada maps DVD [bought recently from TomTom US Web site as upgrade to maps that came with TT V5 - selected option 'other device'] and having no luck activating these maps on my Palm T3 running TomTom V5.201.
When inserting DVD into my Windows XP SP2 computer, gives option to install Home but nothing else so, although I believe Home is not supported with Navigator 5, I installed it anyway [Home v1.3] and used it to copy a small map to the SD card with a card reader on computer. Although I could see these new maps on SD card with card reader, putting this SD card in Palm did not show the new maps although my old US maps [and recent Western Europe download] were still there and working.
I upgraded to Home 1.5 and it now asks for product code when installing new maps but when I enter code, shows message that unable to activate online and I need to go to ttcode.com [which I did to get my activation code].

I am loath to update to TT V6 as I believe it has problems [screen update] on my venerable T3 and is not officially supported.

May try removing old US maps - do you think this may allow TT 5.201 to 'see' the new maps on SDD card and allow me to enter the activation code?

Any other ideas welcome before I phone TT support tomorrow and ask the official install method. Hopefully not to unzip the cabs & rename files?

TIA

M
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not experienced with the PALM version and I am making some assumptions about directories etc here...

If they are upgrades to existing US/Canada maps then I would have expected them to be installed into the same directory on your card as the current US/Canada maps. I.e. this would overwrite the current installation.

I would NOT suggest you remove the existing maps - rather buy another card (they aren't expensive) and try installing the maps to that. If you are doing it by hand then create the top level directory that you have on your current working maps and copy the new maps into that directory. The device should then prompt you for the activation code you have already got.
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks philpugh

As the US/Canada maps are large, they also come split into single states & groups of adjacent states in various combinations - on V5 [it came on 8 CD's] an app fired up to allow you to choose a map group and then it creates a directory [with name of the map group] from root on the SD card. I have several V5 map groups installed e.g. 'NY_NJ_CT' map and 'south eastern' which has florida and other nearby states.

On my new upgrade maps DVD [ahh, no more disc swapping!] the only way to install seems to be via TT home as I had a look on DVD and no other apps - my question to TT is going to be how do I install on Palm T3 with TT V5.201 as all their documentation [yes, there is some] assumes using home to install. I hoping this meant I could use Home to install to memory card directly [this would be the only feature of Home which worked on my setup] and the first time I used map it would ask for the activation code - the newly added map doesn't appear in the manage maps menu when I put SD card back in Palm :-(

I vaguely remember only having to give the activation code when I added the first V5 US map and the rest just worked straight away - as these are all US maps, maybe it tries to use the V5 activation code for the new V6 maps and hence fails? i.e. if I remove the V5 maps it may force it to ask me? I have done card backups already.

Of course, it could be that TT have sent me the wrong disc even though I did click the 'other devices' box ...

As I am in the UK [the $55/£28 upgrade seemed a pretty good deal], I can call them tonight in their afternoon - as support is an 866 number, it is free on skype :D

M
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried deleting all existing US maps from SD card and adding new but didn't work.

Phone TomTom US support and spoke to 'Pete' last night who didn't rush me but had to put me on hold twice to check stuff [said that no v6 maps worked with TT6!]. He said I must upgrade to V6 software even though my T3 was not on their supported list [he had never heard of the 'other device' that I selected on their web site to buy the map].

Anyway, used TT Home [V1.5 build 106] to upgrade TT software to V6.010(7630) & added new US maps V665.1293 direct to the memory card & map worked [requested activation code when I selected US map & code worked] :-) Still worked with all my old maps e.g. western europe V660.1223

DVD comes with both a 896MB 'USA and Canada' & 1.4GB 'North America' maps which seem to cover similar areas - anyone know why the latter is ~50% larger than the first, seems alot?

Now to test TT6 - it at least seems faster at A to B route planning.
sangahm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to know how you like the TT6 version on your T3? I am thinking about doing the same thing but wanted to see how others are fairing.
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuck with TT6 on Palm T3 as no real complaints - can't really remember the differences with TT5 now but weren't that many.
Using with the ~900MB Western Europe and similar sized North American maps - entering the town name can lag key entry [especially in the europe map, say 5 secs] but this is probably due to the # of towns [will key buffer ahead].
Would say the TT6 screen update is slightly slower than TT5 but this is only really noticeable when turning sharp corners [or roundabouts] - slightly annoying but not unbearable.
If you go for TT6, first back up everything [I used TT home 1.5 and card reader] and also the memory card itself [I used winzip to read card directly to try to prevent filename issues]

Best of luck

M

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: