Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ability to Change Focus
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ability to Change Focus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perfik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Ability to Change Focus Reply with quote

I was wondering, as a person who needs glasses for distance vision and therfroe when I drive, is there a GPS device that will allow you to actually change the focus of the screen on the market. If not I would imagine that it would be a good inclusion in future releases as I have problems clearly seeing the GPS screen as it is out of focus with my glasses on, when driving.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't. As a driver how do you focus on the instruments if you cannot focus on the GPS screen? Would bi-focals or vari-focals not be the answer here?
perfik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Instictive Reply with quote

I am afraid that it is instinctive, with the instruments, as you can see the speedo etc quite plainly and you can see where the dials are pointing to etc, but what I mean about the GPS is that you can not read the small writing or the messages etc. I am afraid that Bi-focals or varifocals would not teally help as they only cover parts of the field of vision and you have to move your head around to get the parts required in to view etc. Just a thought for the manufacturers in the future though, it must be possible, surely.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible yes but such a small target market that it's highly unlikely. I'm at a loss at to why bi or vari-focals wouldn't be an answer. They are designed for such purposes after all?
perfik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Not True Reply with quote

You obviously do not have to wear glasses when driving or you would know that wearing Bi or Vari focals wre not actually designed for this type of environment as the angles etc. are not ideal and I disagree about the market only being small as I would guess that millions of drivers have to wear some form of visual aid when driving. Wink

Rememebr that the READING part of Bi-focals is at the bottom and when used to read normally the head would adopt a natural angle, but as the GPS device is USUALLY on the windscreen (much higher than any other item being read), this would make it like having to crane your neck backwards a long way to bring the device in to the line of sight for the bottom of the glasses.

Just a simple focusing device for the screen would solve it 100%
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfik wrote:

Is that really possible?
Are you saying that you can compensate for eyesight problems by putting the screen out of focus "the other way", and that will put it back in focus for your eyes?
Wouldn't you just see an out of focus screen even more out of focus?
perfik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Binoculars Reply with quote

Well surely that is how I would imagine Binoculars or Microscopes work, by being able to adjust the Focal length's and making it in focus for varying eyeisghts ?? If a person with 20/20 vision was to put on a pair of glasses with prescription NOT meant for his eyes, then they would make things out of focus, BUT for the person they were made for they compensate and surely a "Simple Focusing Device" would do the same and be adjustable for many people.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Not True Reply with quote

perfik wrote:
You obviously do not have to wear glasses when driving

Actually I do. But that doesn't excuse someone driving when they admit they cannot read their instruments.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Binoculars Reply with quote

perfik wrote:
Well surely that is how I would imagine Binoculars or Microscopes work

I WAS thinking about those as I wrote, but somehow it seems different, but I'd be the first to admit I've no idea why!
I'll ask a very clever vision/camera engineer tomorrow..
perfik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Missed point. Reply with quote

No one actually said that they can NOT read instruments while driving, if you read my FIRST post, I was simply asking if any of the GPS devices around at the moment were capable of this and again if you read my earlier post, you will see that I said that reading instruments in a car is NOT the same as reading TEXT etc on a screen, unless your vehicle actually prints all the messages in TEXT format, relating to your instruments, on your windscreen for you, like an aircraft HUD, which I am sure it does not.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most systems give audio directions coupled with big arrows to visually indicate turns. You don't really have to read any text to use a Satnav device whilst driving, just when entering the destination, which should of course be done before setting off. For this reason I have found that even a 2" small screen on a mobile phone is adequate for Satnav purposes.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Not True Reply with quote

perfik wrote:
You obviously do not have to wear glasses when driving or you would know that wearing Bi or Vari focals wre not actually designed for this type of environment as the angles etc. are not ideal and I disagree about the market only being small as I would guess that millions of drivers have to wear some form of visual aid when driving. Wink

Rememebr that the READING part of Bi-focals is at the bottom and when used to read normally the head would adopt a natural angle, but as the GPS device is USUALLY on the windscreen (much higher than any other item being read), this would make it like having to crane your neck backwards a long way to bring the device in to the line of sight for the bottom of the glasses.

I also have to wear glasses all the time but have vari focals and don't have any problem reading the instruments in front of me or the road and signs ahead.
As to reading the much smaller type on my sat nav and phone it is easily sorted by using a Brodit ProClip mounted on the dash with both my TomTom and phone on it. That puts them at the same height as the instruments enabling them to be viewed through the lower half of my glasses without having to move my head up or down and still have clear vison of the road ahead.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Missed point. Reply with quote

perfik wrote:
I said that reading instruments in a car is NOT the same as reading TEXT etc on a screen, unless your vehicle actually prints all the messages in TEXT format, relating to your instruments, on your windscreen for you, like an aircraft HUD, which I am sure it does not.

The only two convention instruments in my car are the Speedometer and Tachometer. All the others for Fuel, Water Temp, Oil Pressure and gear selected consist of LCD displays, all clearly visible through the lower reading part of my vari focals without moving my head.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wear varifocals.
My device is mounted at the base of my windscreen, just above the dashboard. To see it, I shift my vision almost imperceptively and within the "teardrop" of the varifocal lens.
I do have difficulty reading the small print on the satnav - I'm talking about having difficulty reading the camera id if I click on a camera to find its identity to check or change it. But whilst stationary, it's simply a case of unmounting the device and bringing it closer to my eyes. All the "normal" navigational icons, text, etc are well within my reading ability.

I don't think a focussing feature would work - I think you really need an enlarging feature, but that would reduce the amount of information displayable on the screen.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Binoculars Reply with quote

perfik wrote:
Well surely that is how I would imagine Binoculars or Microscopes work, by being able to adjust the Focal length's and making it in focus for varying eyeisghts ??.

The adjustment you refer to is there because all eyes are slightly different. Most binoculars feature a Right Eye Diopter Adjustment. The purpose of this is being to to compensate for slight differences between a persons two eyes only.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: