Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Map on Mio 710 Miomap3.2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Map on Mio 710 Miomap3.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Which Map on Mio 710 Miomap3.2 Reply with quote

In my quest to get the speedcam speed teadouts correct for MioMap 3.2, I have been sucessful for the UK, and the speeds now read correctly via my patch in patch.ui. Very Happy
I have had it reported that my patch screws up the speed readouts of the continantal cams Sad . It apparantly is NOT the setting of metric/imperial, so in my mind must be the country bein driven in i.e. the map name.
The March 07 version of MM 3.2 actually inhibits the speedcam readout in Switzerland and Germany. This seems to be done in an the sys.txt initialisation file listing the two countries in question
[speedcam]
usemio=-12,90,37,27
enable_at_startup=1
disable="_SUI", "_GER"
does anyone know the variable in which the current map is stored so that I can use it to switch my code in or out as required?
TIA Trevor
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Map on Mio 710 Miomap3.2 Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
In my quest to get the speedcam speed teadouts correct for MioMap 3.2, I have been sucessful for the UK, and the speeds now read correctly via my patch in patch.ui. Very Happy
I have had it reported that my patch screws up the speed readouts of the continantal cams Sad . It apparantly is NOT the setting of metric/imperial, so in my mind must be the country bein driven in i.e. the map name.
The March 07 version of MM 3.2 actually inhibits the speedcam readout in Switzerland and Germany. This seems to be done in an the sys.txt initialisation file listing the two countries in question
[speedcam]
usemio=-12,90,37,27
enable_at_startup=1
disable="_SUI", "_GER"
does anyone know the variable in which the current map is stored so that I can use it to switch my code in or out as required?
TIA Trevor

Well, I posted a question about sys.txt weeks ago but nobody answered. I got pm responses to the question following a post to another forum but nothing here.

Can't help you on your main question either - but I'll hunt around for some links to forums where there are people who will be able to help. The easiest solutuion however is probably to learn Dutch!

Anyway, the "disable=" line does not by itself disable speed cams for Germany and Schweiz. For starters Austria is also disabled. Come to think of it I only ever saw formal mention of the fact that Germany and Österreich were disabled.

I haven't been able to get old cam databases to work with the latest (March) version of 3.2 despite fiddling with sys.txt. It seems as if miomap.exe has also been altered to disable the relevant cam warnings. I think that the sys.txt protocol is more about iGO conventions and error trapping than anything else. I did encounter some very buggy average speed camera warnings on the Italian/Swiss border - the warnings persisted well in to Switzerland despite no average speed cam traps being present. I wonder if sys.txt changes will have an impact on that sort of thing i.e. whether or not sys.txt provides a global template to direct miomap's sensitivity to the possibility of speed cam relevant conditions.

It's a shame that bug fixes should fall to private coders. There's been no update of this buggy software since March and it's a pretty poor show - other companies are faring much better than Mio. Despite numerous bug reports including a now confirmed major TMC reporting bug that impacts only UK and other left side driver users Mio hasn't issued any sort of fix. Miomap is unable to handle M4 average speed cam traps with any sort of accuracy - it can't keep track of the start and end cam and gets confused with mid range cams. The upshot is that you can have an average speed cam warning (complete with turkey warbles) for 20 miles or so despite no speed traps being in place. Very annoying and very poor coding - people have accurately reported the cams but the software can't implement the warnings accurately.

Anyway, getting back to the point of your post - I remember seeing a similar speed cam reporting problem in relation to another hack (? a skin hack iirc). I'll try to mine some more information.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Retty, thanks for the book Very Happy . I loaded the March update when it first came out, but immediately lost my TMC so have gone back to the Sep 06 version that I had to start with. I ran the march for a couple of days and can't remember having any probs with the cams.
I read that Ger and SUI were disabled and when I found them both in the sys.txt I thought that I had found how they disabled them.
Although I've got the average speed readout of specs to be correct, I have thye same problem as you in so far as the Mio does not seem to be able to work out start and end cams. I have got rid of the turkey gobble, and my Mio only alerts once per cam or more strictly speaking every time the visual alert happens (more than once per cam if your'e on a bend)
Anyway, if you can find me any pointers, I will be greatfull, as I don't think that learning Dutch is realy an option, as I really can't be THAT bothered as personaly I don't travel to the continent
Trev
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Hi Retty, thanks for the book Very Happy . I loaded the March update when it first came out, but immediately lost my TMC so have gone back to the Sep 06 version that I had to start with. I ran the march for a couple of days and can't remember having any probs with the cams.
I read that Ger and SUI were disabled and when I found them both in the sys.txt I thought that I had found how they disabled them.
Although I've got the average speed readout of specs to be correct, I have thye same problem as you in so far as the Mio does not seem to be able to work out start and end cams. I have got rid of the turkey gobble, and my Mio only alerts once per cam or more strictly speaking every time the visual alert happens (more than once per cam if your'e on a bend)
Anyway, if you can find me any pointers, I will be greatfull, as I don't think that learning Dutch is realy an option, as I really can't be THAT bothered as personaly I don't travel to the continent
Trev

Trevor,

I've been hunting around but so far I can't find the information I previously stumbled on - how a skin mod messed with european speed warnings. I changed my os from XP to Vista recently and now there's a problem with the dual boot system getting in to XP so until I have a day to spare *trying* to repair the XP install my favourite links are fubar. XP Home doesn't permit disabling of simple file sharing and the shareware app I was using to share XP home directories with Vista isn't playing ball at the critical moment.

Anyway, no the sys.txt file isn't the only factor in disabling the speed cams.

I'm not sure what a workaround is for the problem you describe with European warnings. An ability to unpatch the install may be the simplest way forward but would require at least access to files through some sort of hack. Would it?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty
Quote:
XP Home doesn't permit disabling of simple file sharing

Is this to get rid of the 'permission denied' error. I have just this week read something about it, taking ownership of the folder etc. and it gives the required registry change for XP Home. If that's your problem, let me know and I will look it up for you.

Quote:
I'm not sure what a workaround is for the problem you describe with European warnings. An ability to unpatch the install may be the simplest way forward but would require at least access to files through some sort of hack. Would it?

Yes, I could put in a Europe/UK' manual switch', but that would need other files within the data.zip modifying. I was trying to find an automatic way. I'll ask the 310 US guys on gpspassion to see if any of them know.
Thanks for looking and the feedback anyway.

Trevor

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: