Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kirro GPS cradle and tomtom, not powering down?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kirro GPS cradle and tomtom, not powering down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurtesen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Kirro GPS cradle and tomtom, not powering down? Reply with quote

Hi,

My friend has a kirrio gps cradle which came with via michelin software but then it was upgraded to use tomtom. However when he removes the key and power is cut to cradle, tomtom just stays on until the battery dies.

The PDA's battey power saving settings are set to shutdown after 1min and they work, however when tomtom is running it never shuts itself down.

How does one solve this problem?

Thanks,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, tap the screen to display the menu, on page three of the menu there should be an icon "Exit Application" hit that and the PDA will stop the TomTom software and revert back to the power management settings you have chosen - Mike
yurtesen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike thanks, the method you explained is what my friend was doing. I am looking for a way to shutdown the pda automatically when it is powered by batteries only.

Do you know if tomtom is changing some setting when it runs or is the pda not powering down because tomtom is accessing serial port? is there an app which can force pda to shutdown after X minutes when it is on battery power?

My friend finds it inconvenient that pda doesnt shutdown by itself.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom is designed to keep the hardware awake, there is little point in a navigation package going to sleep part way around a major city for example.
I always have my PDA or PNA devices powered from the car when running the navigation software, as the software is quite power hungry and it will hammer a PDA's battery if not charging from the car.
I am not aware of anything that can turn off the PDA when running the TomTom software as I cannot think why this is necessary - Mike
yurtesen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I understand the point of keeping the hardware awake. However one can set PDA to not to go to sleep as long as it is connected to power and only go to sleep when it is running on battery power. When there is no power, it means that the car is not running and navigation is unnecessary (plus when there is no power the gps receiver cradle doesnt function anyway)

If tomtom is not running, pda starts automatically when the power comes and sleeps after 1 minute after the power is gone. If TomTom wouldnt be keeping the PDA awake at all times, there would be less work to be done by the user. Now everytime the user enters the car, he should start the car, manually start tomtom and when leaving the car, manually exit tomtom. Plus one should remember to exit tomtom otherwise all data in ram would get busted when the battery ends.

As you can see, there is legitimate reasons of why tomtom shouldnt keep the pda awake when it is powered by battery.

Thanks,
yurtesen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We solved the problem using a small freeware called BattSleep
http://haimsoft.thruhere.net/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: