Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One v3 - Save a route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One v3 - Save a route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mansel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: TT One v3 - Save a route Reply with quote

I have just bought a TT One v3 (my first sat-nav) and generally very happy however I am confused about how to save a route for use later.

In the main menu there is the "prepare a route" option but once prepared I can't see how to save the route for later use. (Seems to do the same as "Navigate to...")!
I read in the online manual you can then go to the "View route" option in the main menu, but I don't seem to have that option. Can anyone advise?
Thanks,
Jon.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slightly more tricky than normal to answer, because the menus for the ONE v3 are rather different than for the whole of the rest of the TomTom range.

The normal way to save a complex or specific route for later is to use the "Itinerary" functions, but by default you don't get that on a One v3.
However, you can re-enable it in the menu by following MikAlder's instructions at the bottom of his review HERE

The other way to save a simple route would be to just save the destination as a Favourite and then use Navigate to... / Favourite. That is probably the least number of screen taps, and less than a dedicated save/recall route routine would take.

As for the missing "view route" menu, that is also explained in Mike's review, see the thirteenth picture down.
In fact, it's well worth reading that whole article, as it explains many of the differences with this model, which would otherwise cause confusion when you read a lot of posts on the forums which describe the "normal" menus, pre-v3.

Finally, the A-B advanced planning is only for viewing (using that hidden menu you can do a demo of the route for example). But when you exit by tapping "Done" the unit goes back to normal navigate mode and will re-calculate as if you wanted to go to the destination FROM WHERE YOU ARE NOW, rather than the start point you entered before. This is normal behaviour, but can take a bit of getting used to....

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tell TomTom to Navigate from A to B, it will work out the best route, based on your settings, and navigate you there, you have the option to view the route as a demo, or screen by screen(maps) or a written report, then you navigate there, but you can't save the route. You can, plan a route, step by step, based on where you want to go, where you want to stop, where you want to go past, by using itinery planning. When planning a route like this, zoom right in, and make sure you tap the position you want to go to, for instance, if yo are zoomed a way out and you generally tap the screen to go "THERE", if there is on a motorway or dual carrage way, and you tap the oppisite carrage way, the TomTom will direct you on a wild goose chase to get you onto the oppersite side of the road, so zoom in close and tap the screen exactly where you want to go. When you have finished, you can then save the itinery. If your route isn't important, you could always save your position when you get there, as a favorite.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said though, you don't get "Itinerary" on a ONE v3, unless you frig it with a custom menu.
Mansel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me the lack of an Itinerary tool is a major flaw with this product. I would expect such a feature as std without having to risk messing with the files. Shame.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mystery to all of us why TomTom have done this.
(And there seem to be conflicting reports as to whether it was a mistake that will be rectified in a future software update, or it was deliberate and won't be addressed by TT).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: