Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I move up from 1.91 to V2?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I move up from 1.91 to V2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Should I move up from 1.91 to V2? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I currently have an Ipaq 3970 and am using a 3450 jacket with SmartST V1.91 software. I started with a 3660 Ipaq and the 3000 system and this current set-up is the first that I've been able to use a reliable tool. i.e Pretty solid fixes, quick re/routes, very few crashes, etc.

I have been thinking of buying the V2 upgrade, but am in fear of buying somthing that will not live up to expectations and will cause much initial frustration and wasted time as I install/uninstall, update drivers, cold boot, warm boot, phone tech support, tear out hair, weep, etc etc...

I suppose the main reason I can see to upgrade is the Pocket Outlook integration and also to get an updated set of maps.

BTW...I live in London and mainly use it for travel in London and the South-East so the M6 toll road isn't a big issue for me.

Any comments on the general stabilty, usefulness of new features, changes in maps, etc. of the new version Question would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Mick.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick,

Quote:
I suppose the main reason I can see to upgrade is the Pocket Outlook integration and also to get an updated set of maps.

If this is your main reason for upgrading, I suggest you keep your money in your pocket. IMO, the move from NavTeq to TeleAtlas is a big mistake. Also, the use of Outlook Contacts depends on how you've inputted the Contact information. If you haven't done it the way the new SmartST software wants it, it's time to rewrite your contacts!

Quote:
BTW...I live in London and mainly use it for travel in London and the South-East so the M6 toll road isn't a big issue for me.

Do me a favour. Look for Aylesford Place, Willesborough, Ashford and tell me if it is shown as joining Crowbridge Road/New Town Road. This used to be a level crossing, but was removed some time ago when the Eurostar overpass was built at Ashford International Station. SmartST V2 still shows this as being there, and tried to route me over it about three weeks ago! Garmin's Mapsource City Select versions 5 and 6, which use Navteq's geodata, both correctly show Aylesford Place as being a dead end road. I don't see V2 as being 'updated maps'.

Quote:
Any comments on the general stabilty, usefulness of new features, changes in maps, etc. of the new version would be much appreciated.

Very stable using my 3970 and either CF or SD cards. Less stable using my 5555 with the CF card, but OK using the SD. (I've read that there is an issue with the CF card power draw upsetting the 5555, and my experience appears to back this up.)

Best new function IMO is the map managing feature. Whereas in V1, SmartST would look thorough *all* loaded maps when searching, V2 has a neat feature whereby you can load as many maps as will fit onto your media, but you only 'enable' the ones you want, thereby speeding everything (searches, routing, re-routing, etc.) up.

It also has 3D mode with adjustable angle settings and three 'avoid' features (one is user-defined by creating an avoid box on the map). I like it, but I have to say that I didn't pay for it, and I'm not sure if I'd have got it if it meant parting with money.
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Tim.

Shame about the V2 maps. I certainly don't want to pay to take a step back. I wonder why they changed from NavTeq to TeleAtlas?

Also, your comments on the Outlook integration implies that I'd need to go through a period of frustration (and text editing) before it became useful.

If it was a £40 upgrade I'd probably throw caution to the wind and take a chance, but I don't think I can justify spending £100+ on it.

Out of interest, I'll check 'Aylesford Place' tonight.

Cheers,
Mick.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest, you can have TomTom Navigator 3 shipped to you for less than £100 from eBuyer, which shows just how uncompetitive Navman's upgrade deal is.

David
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Navman provides maps for the whole of Western Europe for the money whereas Tomtom doesn't.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true (and thanks for the reminder) - though TomTom are allowing you to upgrade both a country version of Navigator 2 and the European maps to Navigator 3 for, effectively, 60 Euros (that price includes the shipping charge). If you activated both products after mid January, the price is just 10 Euros.

David
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Just out of interest, how detailed are the European maps you mention?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For TomTom Navigator 3, all the European versions contain an 85MB "Major Roads of Europe" map in addition to the detailed maps of the country or countries in that package.

I understand TomTom are going to relaunch the add-on European maps package for Navigator 3 - the price probably somewhere around the GBP125 mark. This requires you to have an existing copy of Navigator 3, and it contains all the detailed maps from all the European versions of Navigator 3. This package is required for detailed pan-European coverage.

If you have both Navigator 2 and the Navigator 2 European maps package, TomTom are only charging one upgrade fee of either (as near as matters) 60 Euros or 10 Euros as I outlined in my previous post. However, my "less than 100 pounds" comment in relation to a first time purchase will only get you the detailed Great Britain maps (with their rather limited Northern Ireland coverage) and Major Roads of Europe.

David
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I checked out the 'Aylesford Place' location using V1.91 and it was mapped correctly as a dead-end road. Looks like V2 is definately a step back in this respect.

Hi DavidW,

I did consider moving across to TomTom, but after visiting this sites TomTom forum and reading several disatified posts, I decided to leave it for time being. I'll keep an eye out for future releases though.
The additional expense to get the complete set of European maps makes it considerably more expensive that the Navman option.
It seems that TomTom also use maps from TeleAtlas. Do you know whether they are the same version as those used in Smart ST V2 or more recent?

Can anybody recommend anything other than Navman or TomTom to use in the UK? I'd love to hear about other options that people are using successfully.

Rgds,
Mick.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick,

Thanks for that. I suspected as much. Navteq seem to be at the head of the field at the moment, although I recall someone mentioning that one of the software packages is about to release an update using TeleAtlas Jan 2004 data, which they've specified *does* include the M6, so maybe it includes other stuff, too. Just found the reference; it's Alturion.

I've asked Navman if they are going to update to the latest data and will let you know when I get a reply. I'll also ask them which data release they used for the current maps. Can someone else do the same for Tomtom?

I'm with you on not moving across to Tomtom, as well. Firstly, there's the fact that Navman supply pan-European maps, secondly they are now using the same geodata supplier, although not necessarily the same release and finally their software seems to attract as many complaints as Navman's.

Of course, if they have a userbase ten times larger, this would make them ten times 'better'!

I did try out the stuff supplied by Mapopolis. This is available on a nine day 'trialware' basis. I liked the fact that they use Navteq data. They were almost up with Red Ken's attempts to change *every* junction in London. On the negative side, the voice guidance is awful. They have used speech synthesis to make the actual instructions better, e.g. 'Turn left into Peyton Place' as opposed to just 'Turn left' with Navman, but the voice sounds like Arnie in the Terminator. Also, they appear to have only assigned one sound per letter, which would be fine if we spoke phonetically. I was told to turn into Sydenham Road, with Sydenham pronounced Sigh-dun- ham.
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Alturion looks good, but also expensive.

I've downloaded Mapopolis. Will try to have a play over the weekend - time permitting.

Cheers,
Mick.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: