Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reverting to earlier voice files / versions on i3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverting to earlier voice files / versions on i3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reverting to earlier voice files / versions on i3? Reply with quote

I must have lost some brain capacity, because there's something I'm not getting.

In the past I've used some of the voice utilities for editing the voice files, and replaced them OK.

Since then, I was foolish enough to use webupdater with my i3 and ended up with the newer english voice. I'd prefer the older version, and / or my edited version of the older voice file.

So, I thought, nothing to it - just copy it back on to the transflash card (my i3 being the earlier type with everything on there). Hasn't made any difference, it's still using the newer voice version. S'OK I thought, I'll just do the whole switcheroo with selecting the US voice, let it process, and switch back to the british one - once again, it still seems to be using the new voice - and looking at the file compared with what I've got saved seems to confirm this.

So I try a hard reset, rather than having to switch a voice, and simply select the british voice when prompted for all the setup options (after having copied the original back on to the transflash card). Again, still the new voice.

I've tried simply copying the british voice file, plus ALL the voice files I had saved a while back as a backup before I edited the british file.

What seems to be happening is that my i3 has the new british voice in internal memory (I'm guessing) and whatever I do, seems to revert and actually recreate the voice on the transflash card (in the voice folder) whenever I try and change away and back to it?

I'm clearly being stupid over this, so can somebody who's reverted, tell this old fool what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the old one using the link below

http://tinyurl.com/2z4fgh

and try that, try switching to a foreign language then switch off i3, delete the British voice file and replace it with the one from the above link then reset i3 (left button and wheel held down then power on) then select British.

I did like the new voice better than the old one but running on batteries it is too quiet.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamj wrote:
Download the old one using the link below

http://tinyurl.com/2z4fgh

Thanks, I've got my old one saved, plus and edited old one, too.

Adamj wrote:
try switching to a foreign language then switch off i3, delete the British voice file and replace it with the one from the above link then reset i3 (left button and wheel held down then power on) then select British.

Tried that - again, no dice.

When I have a look at the transflash card after switching back to the british voice (after a hard reset, and having selected a foreign language before, and copying the original british voice file onto the card), the modify date for the british vpm file is blank, and the file size seems to be of the new version of the file again.

As I said, it seems to be holding this data in memory, and using it and writing it out to the voice folder on the card again, when choosing to go back to the british voice.

Adamj wrote:
I did like the new voice better than the old one but running on batteries it is too quiet.

It's mainly the volume for me, too. I also preferred my customised voice file - which was based on the earlier british voice file, too.

Just wish I could go back to it.

I know in the past - when playing around with edited voice files, I just copied them onto the transflash card, and switched to another language and back again.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if this is due to the audio version number that's applied to the files.

Whatever I do with copying older voice files back onto the voice folder on the transflash card, doing hard resets, or switching voices and back again, it still says the audio version is 2.30.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange, i am always messing with the files on the micro sd card and can always restore the backuped ones in case i screw something up. Your problem is very unusual.

The last thing i would suggest you try, is a different firmware (2.7 imo is the best)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamj wrote:
Very strange, i am always messing with the files on the micro sd card and can always restore the backuped ones in case i screw something up. Your problem is very unusual.

I did lots of messing about with voice files a while back, when the subject first came up. Since then, though, I was stupid enough to update the voice files via webupdater.

Have you done that at any point, and what audio version does your i3 say you're running?

Adamj wrote:
The last thing i would suggest you try, is a different firmware (2.7 imo is the best)

I'm currently running 2.7. Have tried it with 3.4, though, made no difference.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you done that at any point, and what audio version does your i3 say you're running?

I have gone (using webupdater) from old voice to new voice, then restore old voice, then webupdater back to new, then back to old etc loads of times and at one time i even ruined the audio files. Had to get the original audio files back from a friends i3 card (then i wised up and made a backup of the card).

I am using 2.70 firmware with audio 2.00
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamj wrote:
Quote:

I have gone (using webupdater) from old voice to new voice, then restore old voice, then webupdater back to new, then back to old etc loads of times and at one time i even ruined the audio files. Had to get the original audio files back from a friends i3 card (then i wised up and made a backup of the card).

I am using 2.70 firmware with audio 2.00

It seems whatever I do with the voice files, now, I can't get it to do anything other than use the new ones.

One thing I tried doing was copying all the voice files that were original (a backup I took when I first started playing with any files on the transflash card).

Even then, when doing a swicheroo forward and back from british, it still uses the new voice. And whatever I do, it says audio version 2.30. Before webupdater, it was 2.00.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: